Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #12221
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl View Post
My first batch of this has been in the primary fermenter for a little over a month. Had a sample of it a couple days ago and it was delicious.

I was wondering if I continued to "sample" this from the top using a wine thief, would I expect the product I'm drinking to taste the same as the stuff in the middle and bottom of the carboy? What I'm getting at is does this (or any other fermented liquid) separate at all ever?

Not from my experience. It's pretty homogenous, however like beer, once it's done fermenting and producing little or no co2 opening your carbouy will begin the oxidization process. If you've hit you FG, bottle it and age it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #12222
sparkshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mmmmm...apfelwein. I'm drinking some right now out of a wine glass (portion control, haha!).

My apfelwein is only a few months old - although my wine palate is not very refined, to me, it tastes like an $8-10 bottle of white wine here in Canuckistan. AND I LOVE IT. I also have some carbed, but I prefer it flat (am I the only one???).

I'm getting ready to start another batch, but I'm worried that I just got lucky my first time around since so many people have discussed long-term aging and carbonation.

On Tap:
Brazen Badger IPA, Red Panda Irish Ale

Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #12223
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkshooter View Post
Mmmmm...apfelwein. I'm drinking some right now out of a wine glass (portion control, haha!).

My apfelwein is only a few months old - although my wine palate is not very refined, to me, it tastes like an $8-10 bottle of white wine here in Canuckistan. AND I LOVE IT. I also have some carbed, but I prefer it flat (am I the only one???).

I'm getting ready to start another batch, but I'm worried that I just got lucky my first time around since so many people have discussed long-term aging and carbonation.

You didn't get lucky, you just made Apfelwein. Edworts like the modern day Johnny Appleseed. I turn all my newby friends into making it. Easiest thing ever, very simple and consistent. Almost everyone loves it.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #12224
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkshooter View Post

You didn't get lucky, you just made Apfelwein. Edworts like the modern day Johnny Appleseed. I turn all my newby friends into making it. Easiest thing ever, very simple and consistent. Almost everyone loves it.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #12225
Pitman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just some observations from making 4 batches of this stuff. My first batch made with Costco fresh pressed apple juice was just ok. Had a real pungent sour aftertaste and only became drinkable after 6 months.
My next two batches were god awful using walmart el cheapo juice. Incredibly sour tasting. Let them age but every time I tasted a bottle I wound up pouring it out. Dumped all the rest of these, just too sour and awful.
My latest batch I decided to spend a little more and bought 4 gallons of musslemans apple cider and 2 gallons of tree top apple cider. Added pectic enzyme at the beginning. At 5 weeks it was done and clear and let me tell you it is wonderful. Nice clean crisp flavor with no sourness. After this latest result, I am convinced the quality of the juice you use is extremely important.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #12226
Hopinista
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWithrow View Post
So after all this reading (not all 1200 pages, but a few hundred), I got excited. I ran out and got 6 gallons of walmart apple juice, a pack of Montrachet, and 2 lbs of table sugar. I emptied half of 2 bottles into the carboy, put a pound of sugar in each and shook the bejesus out of them. I added them to the carboy, and dropped the rest of the 6 gallons into the carboy and shook it for awhile. After rehydrating the yeast, I threw it into the carboy, put an airlock on it, and walked away for 3 weeks. And forgot to grab an OG reading lol

But... I put my wine thief to work and tasted this 2 days ago. Let me tell you, given that it's so green, hasn't aged, etc, I am hella impressed! It's not "crystal" clear (a very very slight haze left), but it's DAMN clear compared to golden beers that I've made! It finished at 1.000 and is dry, but surprisingly enjoyable! I could drink it as it is! But I'm going to bottle next weekend and put a few away in the closet somewhere to forget about. And I will promptly be starting another 5-6 gallon batch (or 2) next weekend!

Considering how easy this is to make, and how wonderful it tastes (I can only imagine how great it'll be later), this will be a staple. And I'm already making plans to bottle and gift this stuff for the holidays.

Thanks, Ed!
Mine got crystal clear after only 6 weeks, and tasted awesome. I bottled half still and half carbed, will be making this again... and again ....

Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #12227
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
Just some observations from making 4 batches of this stuff. My first batch made with Costco fresh pressed apple juice was just ok. Had a real pungent sour aftertaste and only became drinkable after 6 months.
My next two batches were god awful using walmart el cheapo juice. Incredibly sour tasting. Let them age but every time I tasted a bottle I wound up pouring it out. Dumped all the rest of these, just too sour and awful.
My latest batch I decided to spend a little more and bought 4 gallons of musslemans apple cider and 2 gallons of tree top apple cider. Added pectic enzyme at the beginning. At 5 weeks it was done and clear and let me tell you it is wonderful. Nice clean crisp flavor with no sourness. After this latest result, I am convinced the quality of the juice you use is extremely important.
I've only made 2 5-gallon batches of this stuff, once with table sugar and the 2nd time using the correct sugar, both times with "Tree Top" brand juice.

Both batches had no trouble clearing. I've tried it both sparkling and still, like both. The finish is totally clean and crisp with a high amount of dryness, which I do not like in wine but can enjoy anyway. My only complaint is the sourness. Note, it is not that bad, I've never poured out any apfelwein and do not intend to start.

I just figured the heavy tart aftertaste is just part of the recipe, does the pectic enzyme help sweeten it? I backsweetened a gallon with some Orange Blossom honey but I think the yeasties ate it since it was not sweet after 2 weeks.

I'd like to hear what if anything can be done to reduce the sour and tart flavors and bring back more apple.

Keg 1: AHS Devil's Brew (ABV 8.1%)
Keg 2: 5 gallons of BOMM
Keg 3: AHS Belgian Abt 12
Keg 4: Apfelwein

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #12228
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I'd like to hear what if anything can be done to reduce the sour and tart flavors and bring back more apple.

Back-sweetening does that. You can either sweeten and pasteurize or sweeten in your glass.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #12229
Hopinista
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I've only made 2 5-gallon batches of this stuff, once with table sugar and the 2nd time using the correct sugar, both times with "Tree Top" brand juice.

Both batches had no trouble clearing. I've tried it both sparkling and still, like both. The finish is totally clean and crisp with a high amount of dryness, which I do not like in wine but can enjoy anyway. My only complaint is the sourness. Note, it is not that bad, I've never poured out any apfelwein and do not intend to start.

I just figured the heavy tart aftertaste is just part of the recipe, does the pectic enzyme help sweeten it? I backsweetened a gallon with some Orange Blossom honey but I think the yeasties ate it since it was not sweet after 2 weeks.

I'd try a different juice, I've done 3 batches and never got any sourness. My favorite was actually with concentrated apple juice

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #12230
fuelish
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Back-sweetening does that. You can either sweeten and pasteurize or sweeten in your glass.
I've done some mixing of meads with other beverages upon serving, depending on desired result. You could add a lil apple juice to each glass upon serving....that way you'll get a bit more apple flavor as well as a lil more sweetness....and stretch the bottle(s)...maybe mix with Sprite or 7-Up, have an apfelwein spritzer, or something...

Quick Reply