Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #12221
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mammoth Lakes, California
Posts: 244
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl View Post
My first batch of this has been in the primary fermenter for a little over a month. Had a sample of it a couple days ago and it was delicious.

I was wondering if I continued to "sample" this from the top using a wine thief, would I expect the product I'm drinking to taste the same as the stuff in the middle and bottom of the carboy? What I'm getting at is does this (or any other fermented liquid) separate at all ever?

Not from my experience. It's pretty homogenous, however like beer, once it's done fermenting and producing little or no co2 opening your carbouy will begin the oxidization process. If you've hit you FG, bottle it and age it that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
sawbossFogg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #12222
sparkshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 72
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Mmmmm...apfelwein. I'm drinking some right now out of a wine glass (portion control, haha!).

My apfelwein is only a few months old - although my wine palate is not very refined, to me, it tastes like an $8-10 bottle of white wine here in Canuckistan. AND I LOVE IT. I also have some carbed, but I prefer it flat (am I the only one???).

I'm getting ready to start another batch, but I'm worried that I just got lucky my first time around since so many people have discussed long-term aging and carbonation.

__________________
Donoghue & Stevenson Brewing Co.

On Tap:
Brazen Badger IPA, Red Panda Irish Ale
sparkshooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #12223
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mammoth Lakes, California
Posts: 244
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkshooter View Post
Mmmmm...apfelwein. I'm drinking some right now out of a wine glass (portion control, haha!).



My apfelwein is only a few months old - although my wine palate is not very refined, to me, it tastes like an $8-10 bottle of white wine here in Canuckistan. AND I LOVE IT. I also have some carbed, but I prefer it flat (am I the only one???).



I'm getting ready to start another batch, but I'm worried that I just got lucky my first time around since so many people have discussed long-term aging and carbonation.

You didn't get lucky, you just made Apfelwein. Edworts like the modern day Johnny Appleseed. I turn all my newby friends into making it. Easiest thing ever, very simple and consistent. Almost everyone loves it.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
sawbossFogg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #12224
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mammoth Lakes, California
Posts: 244
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkshooter View Post
Mmmmm...apfelwein. I'm drinking some right now out of a wine glass (portion control, haha!).



My apfelwein is only a few months old - although my wine palate is not very refined, to me, it tastes like an $8-10 bottle of white wine here in Canuckistan. AND I LOVE IT. I also have some carbed, but I prefer it flat (am I the only one???).



I'm getting ready to start another batch, but I'm worried that I just got lucky my first time around since so many people have discussed long-term aging and carbonation.

You didn't get lucky, you just made Apfelwein. Edworts like the modern day Johnny Appleseed. I turn all my newby friends into making it. Easiest thing ever, very simple and consistent. Almost everyone loves it.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
sawbossFogg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #12225
Pitman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dallas, texas
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Just some observations from making 4 batches of this stuff. My first batch made with Costco fresh pressed apple juice was just ok. Had a real pungent sour aftertaste and only became drinkable after 6 months.
My next two batches were god awful using walmart el cheapo juice. Incredibly sour tasting. Let them age but every time I tasted a bottle I wound up pouring it out. Dumped all the rest of these, just too sour and awful.
My latest batch I decided to spend a little more and bought 4 gallons of musslemans apple cider and 2 gallons of tree top apple cider. Added pectic enzyme at the beginning. At 5 weeks it was done and clear and let me tell you it is wonderful. Nice clean crisp flavor with no sourness. After this latest result, I am convinced the quality of the juice you use is extremely important.

__________________
Pitman is offline
sportpak Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #12226
Hopinista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Green Valley, NV
Posts: 2,301
Liked 268 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWithrow View Post
So after all this reading (not all 1200 pages, but a few hundred), I got excited. I ran out and got 6 gallons of walmart apple juice, a pack of Montrachet, and 2 lbs of table sugar. I emptied half of 2 bottles into the carboy, put a pound of sugar in each and shook the bejesus out of them. I added them to the carboy, and dropped the rest of the 6 gallons into the carboy and shook it for awhile. After rehydrating the yeast, I threw it into the carboy, put an airlock on it, and walked away for 3 weeks. And forgot to grab an OG reading lol

But... I put my wine thief to work and tasted this 2 days ago. Let me tell you, given that it's so green, hasn't aged, etc, I am hella impressed! It's not "crystal" clear (a very very slight haze left), but it's DAMN clear compared to golden beers that I've made! It finished at 1.000 and is dry, but surprisingly enjoyable! I could drink it as it is! But I'm going to bottle next weekend and put a few away in the closet somewhere to forget about. And I will promptly be starting another 5-6 gallon batch (or 2) next weekend!

Considering how easy this is to make, and how wonderful it tastes (I can only imagine how great it'll be later), this will be a staple. And I'm already making plans to bottle and gift this stuff for the holidays.

Thanks, Ed!
Mine got crystal clear after only 6 weeks, and tasted awesome. I bottled half still and half carbed, will be making this again... and again ....
__________________
I wear a Florida State shirt because I went to Florida State. You wear a FLORIDA shirt because you went to WalMart.
Hopinista is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #12227
Edbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 114
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
Just some observations from making 4 batches of this stuff. My first batch made with Costco fresh pressed apple juice was just ok. Had a real pungent sour aftertaste and only became drinkable after 6 months.
My next two batches were god awful using walmart el cheapo juice. Incredibly sour tasting. Let them age but every time I tasted a bottle I wound up pouring it out. Dumped all the rest of these, just too sour and awful.
My latest batch I decided to spend a little more and bought 4 gallons of musslemans apple cider and 2 gallons of tree top apple cider. Added pectic enzyme at the beginning. At 5 weeks it was done and clear and let me tell you it is wonderful. Nice clean crisp flavor with no sourness. After this latest result, I am convinced the quality of the juice you use is extremely important.
I've only made 2 5-gallon batches of this stuff, once with table sugar and the 2nd time using the correct sugar, both times with "Tree Top" brand juice.

Both batches had no trouble clearing. I've tried it both sparkling and still, like both. The finish is totally clean and crisp with a high amount of dryness, which I do not like in wine but can enjoy anyway. My only complaint is the sourness. Note, it is not that bad, I've never poured out any apfelwein and do not intend to start.

I just figured the heavy tart aftertaste is just part of the recipe, does the pectic enzyme help sweeten it? I backsweetened a gallon with some Orange Blossom honey but I think the yeasties ate it since it was not sweet after 2 weeks.

I'd like to hear what if anything can be done to reduce the sour and tart flavors and bring back more apple.
__________________

Keg 1: AHS Devil's Brew (ABV 8.1%)
Keg 2: 5 gallons of BOMM
Keg 3: AHS Belgian Abt 12
Keg 4: Apfelwein

Edbert is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #12228
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,004
Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I'd like to hear what if anything can be done to reduce the sour and tart flavors and bring back more apple.

Back-sweetening does that. You can either sweeten and pasteurize or sweeten in your glass.
__________________
bleme is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #12229
Hopinista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Green Valley, NV
Posts: 2,301
Liked 268 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
I've only made 2 5-gallon batches of this stuff, once with table sugar and the 2nd time using the correct sugar, both times with "Tree Top" brand juice.

Both batches had no trouble clearing. I've tried it both sparkling and still, like both. The finish is totally clean and crisp with a high amount of dryness, which I do not like in wine but can enjoy anyway. My only complaint is the sourness. Note, it is not that bad, I've never poured out any apfelwein and do not intend to start.

I just figured the heavy tart aftertaste is just part of the recipe, does the pectic enzyme help sweeten it? I backsweetened a gallon with some Orange Blossom honey but I think the yeasties ate it since it was not sweet after 2 weeks.

I'd like to hear what if anything can be done to reduce the sour and tart flavors and bring back more apple.
I'd try a different juice, I've done 3 batches and never got any sourness. My favorite was actually with concentrated apple juice
__________________
I wear a Florida State shirt because I went to Florida State. You wear a FLORIDA shirt because you went to WalMart.
Hopinista is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #12230
fuelish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Foothills of the Great Smoky Mtns, TN
Posts: 422
Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Back-sweetening does that. You can either sweeten and pasteurize or sweeten in your glass.
I've done some mixing of meads with other beverages upon serving, depending on desired result. You could add a lil apple juice to each glass upon serving....that way you'll get a bit more apple flavor as well as a lil more sweetness....and stretch the bottle(s)...maybe mix with Sprite or 7-Up, have an apfelwein spritzer, or something...
__________________
fuelish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love The (Edwort's) Apfelwein solidghost Home Brewing Photo Forum 34 03-01-2013 01:56 PM
newbie to forum, love making wine etc. Apfelwein? Liah Cider Forum 11 12-31-2009 06:33 AM
My first EdWorts Apfelwein (Love is in the air) Hoggy General Beer Discussion 15 04-16-2009 03:55 AM
Oh MAN, I love my Apfelwein PeteOz77 Wine Making Forum 4 07-18-2008 10:36 PM
GOD I LOVE Apfelwein FSR402 Wine Making Forum 2 02-22-2008 12:47 PM