Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #12081
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made my first batch in early Sept. After 3 months, it had dropped very clear so I kegged it. I tapped the keg a couple of weeks (approx 4 months old). Here are my impressions:

1. Little to no carbonation after 1 month kegged at 12 psi. It fizzes when it first pours but clears quickly.
  2. Pours a nice golden color and it's extremely clear.
  3. The aromas and flavors are inverted to me. The smell is definitely apple. If I didn't know what it was, at first glance and smell, I would think it's just apple juice but the smell is followed by reminisce of champagne. The taste is the opposite. At first, the taste is semi-dry champagne like with a hint of apple flavor in the back.
  4. The alcohol level is quite deceptive. In fact, I cannot taste any alcohol but I assure you that after 2 glasses, I am beginning to slur my speech!

So overall, this is a good recipe and while I enjoy drinking it, I am a beer drinker so I am not sure at this point if or when I would make another batch. However, I would still recommend it to anyone that likes or enjoys wine and/or champagne.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #12082
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I put my first batch together on 12/20/13 and put it in the corner of my living room so that it would be bubbling away when all the family is over for Christmas. After all the questions I fielded last year concerning my hobby, I figured I could use a visual.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #12083
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hio3791 View Post
I made my first batch in early Sept. After 3 months, it had dropped very clear so I kegged it. I tapped the keg a couple of weeks (approx 4 months old). Here are my impressions:
  1. Little to no carbonation after 1 month kegged at 12 psi. It fizzes when it first pours but clears quickly.
  2. Pours a nice golden color and it's extremely clear.
  3. The aromas and flavors are inverted to me. The smell is definitely apple. If I didn't know what it was, at first glance and smell, I would think it's just apple juice but the smell is followed by reminisce of champagne. The taste is the opposite. At first, the taste is semi-dry champagne like with a hint of apple flavor in the back.
  4. The alcohol level is quite deceptive. In fact, I cannot taste any alcohol but I assure you that after 2 glasses, I am beginning to slur my speech!

So overall, this is a good recipe and while I enjoy drinking it, I am a beer drinker so I am not sure at this point if or when I would make another batch. However, I would still recommend it to anyone that likes or enjoys wine and/or champagne.
Mine was started back in June. No backsweetening and left still, no carbing. Today, I describe the flavor as this.. It's a light and crisp flavored apple-y flavor. Smells like apple and tastes like a light apple juice with a subtle apple flavor on the finish. Best served chilled. My most important description I can give is that the drink/flavor grows on you. The more you drink it, the more you like it.

You can't going into the tasting thinking of what an apple wine will taste like or comparing it to a commercial cider you've had before because you will automatically start comparing the apfelwein to those and think this falls short. It really is it's own flavor and nothing i've had before tastes quite like it. It's "different" and it's quite good. I like it alot.

After I drank my first bottle, I remember and then understood why the recipe states "reserve your judgement until after the 2nd glass because it grows on you". Good stuff!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #12084
Ramon
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein with s-33 Ale yeast

I followed Ed Wort's recipe to a "T" but added s-33 Ale yeast instead.
This one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...s-33-edme.html

Anybody else do this?

How long should I let it bubble for? I know some people will say "as long as possible" but doesn't this yeast move faster than Red Star Montrachet?

Secondary or not?

I made the original recipe and love it! I wanted to try something different this time, if you have made this how does it differ?

Cheers

Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #12085
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Bubbles don't mean anything with regard to fermentation. You can get bubbles from a completely empty carboy if the temperature changes or a weather front passes through. Measure gravity with a hydrometer to determine how the fermentation is progressing.

Follow the timeline suggested in the recipe. The last points of gravity tend to come off slowly, so fermentation will take at least a month. A secondary after that will greatly improve the apfelwein. This stuff gets amazing after 4-6 months. It's worth the wait.

While you are waiting, brew up some more apfelwein!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #12086
pokeacow
Recipes 

my hydrometer has been floating right around 1.000 for about a week now, hard to get an exact reading due to bubbles (i just dropped er right in the carboy) but this coming weekend i really wanna bottle it and use the yeast cake to start some skeeter piss. It looks relatively clear and will be a month and a few days old this weekend, would there be any harm in bottling it sooner than later? I'll still age most of it for another good few months in the bottles.

One option i have is i could cold crash it for a few hours on the balcony, its winter here. Would i get suck back in my airlock if i did that? Or could i just dump the water out of it and place it back on top just in case a leaf blows in or something

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #12087
zardozap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Made a batch of this 6 days ago. It's currently sitting in the corner bubbling away, and I have to say the quite often "rhino fart" breeze will blow past every couple of minutes and make my nose twitch. My wife walked in last night and her first comment was "What the hell have you been eating?" I pointed to the carboy, she checked it out and said "Hope it tastes better than it smells." Guess we'll find out in a few months. Plan on aging it a while.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #12088
SaguaroMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeacow View Post
my hydrometer has been floating right around 1.000 for about a week now, hard to get an exact reading due to bubbles (i just dropped er right in the carboy) but this coming weekend i really wanna bottle it and use the yeast cake to start some skeeter piss. It looks relatively clear and will be a month and a few days old this weekend, would there be any harm in bottling it sooner than later? I'll still age most of it for another good few months in the bottles.

One option i have is i could cold crash it for a few hours on the balcony, its winter here. Would i get suck back in my airlock if i did that? Or could i just dump the water out of it and place it back on top just in case a leaf blows in or something
Seems like everybody just says to sit on it at room temp for a few months at least; that's what I'm going to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #12089
j-hemmie
Recipes 

Holy rhino fart! I just put this together yesterday using Montrachet, brown sugar and wine nutrient... it still smells like butt. It is bubbling away though. I don't think I've ever seen something ferment so vigorously. I can actually hear the bubbles in the fermenter. It sounds like highly carbonated soda when you pour it into a glass.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #12090
pokeacow
Recipes 

I used nottingham and didnt get any nasty turd smell

Quick Reply