Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #11871
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1982 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 3935

I will be making another batch of this tomorrow! I wanna add cinnamon sticks as well. Since I dont have individual pound bags of dextrose, I was thinking I should boil 1 gallon with the 2 lbs dextrose and cinnamon sticks as well. How many sticks should I add for a 5 gallon batch? Am i correct that I should cool the boiled juice/sugar/sticks and add it all in? Thanks in advance

2013-11-05-13.36.00.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #11872
jstampler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan
I will be making another batch of this tomorrow! I wanna add cinnamon sticks as well. Since I dont have individual pound bags of dextrose, I was thinking I should boil 1 gallon with the 2 lbs dextrose and cinnamon sticks as well. How many sticks should I add for a 5 gallon batch? Am i correct that I should cool the boiled juice/sugar/sticks and add it all in? Thanks in advance
No need to boil the sugar, just mix it in. I used 1 cinnamon stick on this last batch I made just to give it a hint of the flavor.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #11873
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1982 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 3935

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
No need to boil the sugar, just mix it in. I used 1 cinnamon stick on this last batch I made just to give it a hint of the flavor.
I didnt boil the first time but just want to make sure there is no way of infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #11874
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
I didnt boil the first time but just want to make sure there is no way of infection
Last time I just took one of the gallons of juice and warmed it up on the stove (hot but not boiling), took it off the heat and added the sugar to it. Dissolved, then dumped it into the fermenter with the remaining 4 gallons of juice (slightly chilled from the fridge). Perfect yeast pitch temperature when it was all done and the sugar was sanitized and dissolved.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #11875
wingedcoyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thinking about getting some Apfel in my pipeline after reading some of this beguiling thread, quick Q though. I love the idea that some have described of carbonating with 8ish oz dextrose for a champagne-like experience, but will normal beer-bottling procedures contain that level of pressure? Or are people who've tried that using corks and cages?

Fermenting: Uwharrie Mountain Mead, Novemberfest
Conditioning: Bohemian Pilsner
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein, Motueka Wheat, VIP ESB, RBC Hidden Pipe Clone, Naked Red

Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #11876
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I'm really tired, so if I'm being overly blunt please beer with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
Thanks for all of your input.

The plastic bottle as a test bottle is a good idea. I know you are vastly more knowledgable than I am and I'm sure you meant this: when the plastic bottle gets hard, give it at least a week to let the CO2 dissolve in to the liquid.
No I didn't. You are naturally carbing, not force carbing. Once you have full pressure in the bottle, without shaking it up beforehand, you're done. If you still have sugar in the solution and you let it go longer it's going to over carb.

You have to let it sit with pressure on it when you force carb because your co2 absorption in the liquid is limited by the surface area exposed to the gas. When you produce co2 in the liquid the co2 is immediately absorbed as it's already surrounded by the liquid. That effectively gives you a massive surface area for co2 gas exchange. In fact, I think the co2 actually goes directly into solution in the liquid as it's not in a gaseous environment when it's produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
Quote:
This. Sugar is a basically a desert. The sugar is so hydroscopic it will actually pull water out of most things that might land in it. That's usually fatal. So, it's pretty sanitary on its own. Provided you didn't drop a big glop of something nasty in it.

Likewise the juice. It's been pasteurized so nothing will grow in it while it's in the bottle. So, it's also already sanitary. In fact, it might actually be sterile.

I wouldn't do more then two cinnamon stick in a 5 gallon batch. Once you start getting alcohol, the flavor will extract fairly efficiently. It will also continue to extract for about three months. Sometimes five, if you have really good cinnamon sticks. So, it's usually a good idea to take the cinnamon sticks out after a couple of weeks. You'll get a faster flavor extraction if you put them in secondary. Primary washes some of the cinnamon flavor out. Of course, you can leave them in longer, but why?
Hello Likes This 
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #11877
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1578 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 2568

I pasteurized my bottles at 160F for 20 minutes. I notice that they are noticeably cloudy. There is a stark difference between a few bottles I left cold and didn't pasteurize and so much so, I'd mistake the pasteurized bottles as a heavily unfiltered hefe beer.

I left a pasteurized bottle in the fridge overnight for 24 hours and it hasn't settled out and cleared. Should it?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #11878
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I'm really tired, so if I'm being overly blunt please beer with me.
No I didn't. You are naturally carbing, not force carbing. Once you have full pressure in the bottle, without shaking it up beforehand, you're done. If you still have sugar in the solution and you let it go longer it's going to over carb.

You have to let it sit with pressure on it when you force carb because your co2 absorption in the liquid is limited by the surface area exposed to the gas. When you produce co2 in the liquid the co2 is immediately absorbed as it's already surrounded by the liquid. That effectively gives you a massive surface area for co2 gas exchange. In fact, I think the co2 actually goes directly into solution in the liquid as it's not in a gaseous environment when it's produced.
thanks for that explanation. i'm still on my first batch of mr. beer, so i'm taking the experience from that and applying it to my other batches. from what people have been saying on the mr. beer thread is that it takes 2+ weeks for the beer to carb (using the table sugar in the bottle method). people have stated that even though the plastic bottles felt rigid due to inside pressure, when they cracked one open, the beer was still flat so it was suggested that even though the bottles felt pressurized, it didn't mean the beer was carbed; so let it carb for longer was what was prescribed.
i'm definitely not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand the science behind it and not screw up my own batch.

also, i've read conflicting reports of leaving it on the yeast cake may result in off flavors so putting it in a secondary is advised. what's your take?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #11879
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh
thanks for that explanation. i'm still on my first batch of mr. beer, so i'm taking the experience from that and applying it to my other batches. from what people have been saying on the mr. beer thread is that it takes 2+ weeks for the beer to carb (using the table sugar in the bottle method). people have stated that even though the plastic bottles felt rigid due to inside pressure, when they cracked one open, the beer was still flat so it was suggested that even though the bottles felt pressurized, it didn't mean the beer was carbed; so let it carb for longer was what was prescribed. i'm definitely not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand the science behind it and not screw up my own batch. also, i've read conflicting reports of leaving it on the yeast cake may result in off flavors so putting it in a secondary is advised. what's your take?
The good thing about apfelwein is that its good still or carbed so if you pop one open and it's not carbed up yet you can still enjoy it.

I've heard people talk about leaving this stuff in primary for 6 months or so without a problem. I've only ever left mine for 2-3 months and it's always great.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #11880
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
The good thing about apfelwein is that its good still or carbed so if you pop one open and it's not carbed up yet you can still enjoy it.

I've heard people talk about leaving this stuff in primary for 6 months or so without a problem. I've only ever left mine for 2-3 months and it's always great.
i definitely want the apfelwein to "hit its stride", but i don't want to get any off flavors for it being on the yeast cake too long as i've been advised by the manager of my LHBS.

Quick Reply