Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #11861
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineomatic View Post
Has anyone tried with the main sugars? Brown, Corn, Pure? Any noticeable differences?

My first batch I did with dark brown sugar and it gave it a maple back flavor, wasn't bad at all!

But yeah, any other noticeable differences?
I did a batch with 5 gallons juice with 8 oz. of store-bought honey per gallon. Fermented out very dry, rather thin and watery, but still is tasty and packs a punch. It's 6 months old now and very smooth and apple-y. Served dry and cold it goes down like water...rather dangerously.

I have another batch in secondary with 6 gallons juice and 2 lbs of Domino light brown sugar. Not quite EdWort's sugar ratio but I wanted to fully utilize my wine fermenter. I just racked it to secondary after 5 weeks in primary - looks and smells good. It's quite dark but very clear. I think I am going to let it clear and bottle carbonate in beer bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #11862
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
I don't think I'll sweeten it. I just want to carb it up a bit. For a 5 gallon batch is 5oz of priming sugar enough?
That's about right. You could run it through a priming sugar calculator if you want to.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #11863
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Has anyone ever bottled it back in to the apple juice bottles you used in this recipe?

Is it bad to have the lights on and stare at the airlock bubbling up for extended periods of time?

Anyone use plastic carboys? If so, how'd you clean it after you were done? Did it leave any residual aromas on the plastic?

Has anyone made a new batch by dumping apple juice and the sugar in to the trub- reusing the yeast/bottle without cleaning? Any thoughts or comments? How'd it come out?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #11864
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bottle what I call my Crapfelwein (3.5 gallons of apple juice and 2 gallons of cranberry juice). I carbed it with 5oz of dextrose which I hope is enough. I out some in a soda bottle to see when it gets fully carbed. Any idea how long it usually takes to carb? Is it better to have it in the fridge or out?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #11865
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I just bottle what I call my Crapfelwein (3.5 gallons of apple juice and 2 gallons of cranberry juice). I carbed it with 5oz of dextrose which I hope is enough. I out some in a soda bottle to see when it gets fully carbed. Any idea how long it usually takes to carb? Is it better to have it in the fridge or out?
To answer your last Q, don't put it in the fridge. Doing so will cause the yeast to go dormant for the most part and you'll be waiting for a LONG time for it to carbonate, if it ever does at all.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #11866
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good to know, thanks. Anyone else know how long I should wait for this to carb?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #11867
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1800 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 3630

about to bottle! carbing with 4.20 oz dextrose. I will say the next batch will not be carbed cuz this sample is awesome!

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #11868
tully72
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler
I am drinking a glass right now that carbed in ten days.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #11869
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
Has anyone ever bottled it back in to the apple juice bottles you used in this recipe?

Is it bad to have the lights on and stare at the airlock bubbling up for extended periods of time?

Anyone use plastic carboys? If so, how'd you clean it after you were done? Did it leave any residual aromas on the plastic?

Has anyone made a new batch by dumping apple juice and the sugar in to the trub- reusing the yeast/bottle without cleaning? Any thoughts or comments? How'd it come out?
I've put it back in the plastic juice jugs a couple of times. It's fine for short term storage, but you get a cardboard like flavor after a few months.

No, nothing wrong with staring at your carboy. Just don't start singing to it, or the neighbors might call the cops...

I use plastic fermentation buckets. It does leave some aroma behind. You can get rid of most of that by scrubbing them down with baking soda.

I've got a batch I pitched onto the yeast cake going now. This is a fairly fresh yeast cake, the batch only stayed in primary for two weeks. When I transferred it off I pitched the new batch on top of the yeast cake. I probably wouldn't do that a second time. I'd be concerned about it starting to taste like soy sauce. Wine does that sometimes if you leave it on the yeast to long.

Quote:
It varies massively. Anywhere from about three days to several months. Suspended yeast cells in the liquid, temperature, yeast strain, etc... They all change things. It's best to fill a plastic soda bottle when you do the rest. When that is hard to the touch, your bottles should be carbed.
iluvmysh Likes This 
Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #11870
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I've put it back in the plastic juice jugs a couple of times. It's fine for short term storage, but you get a cardboard like flavor after a few months.

No, nothing wrong with staring at your carboy. Just don't start singing to it, or the neighbors might call the cops...

I use plastic fermentation buckets. It does leave some aroma behind. You can get rid of most of that by scrubbing them down with baking soda.

I've got a batch I pitched onto the yeast cake going now. This is a fairly fresh yeast cake, the batch only stayed in primary for two weeks. When I transferred it off I pitched the new batch on top of the yeast cake. I probably wouldn't do that a second time. I'd be concerned about it starting to taste like soy sauce. Wine does that sometimes if you leave it on the yeast to long.

It varies massively. Anywhere from about three days to several months. Suspended yeast cells in the liquid, temperature, yeast strain, etc... They all change things. It's best to fill a plastic soda bottle when you do the rest. When that is hard to the touch, your bottles should be carbed.
Thanks for all of your input.

The plastic bottle as a test bottle is a good idea. I know you are vastly more knowledgable than I am and I'm sure you meant this: when the plastic bottle gets hard, give it at least a week to let the CO2 dissolve in to the liquid.

Quick Reply