Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #11761
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Just bottled my first batch if this stuff.

It sat in primary for just over 6 months. Made it 4/4/13, and bottled today. tastes great from the bottling bucket. I bottled half still and half I primed at hopefully around 2.0 vol CO2.

My question was during cleanup. I used a glass carboy for primary. It still smells like the Apfelwine. I used a hot soak of PBW, hot rinse, and then starsan. It still smells pretty strongly of it. Also, the bottling bucket still smells of it too, even after a wash. Anyone else get this??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #11762
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
I've never carbed anything before but I think I want to carb my next batch since I have 2 going at once right now. I don't think I'll sweeten it so can someone give me the specifics on how I would carb it?

From reading this thread and others I think I have a good idea but I don't want to leave out a step that could be critical. Do I take 4-5 ounces of priming sugar (for my 5.5 gallon batch), mix it with a few ounces of warm water and put it in my bucket and then rack my Apfelwein on top of it, stir and then bottle? Is it that simple? Do I need to use K-meta(campden) or Sorb? Do I need to let it sit for a while before bottling it or just bottle right away? Do I need to pasteurize it if I'm not planning on sweetening it?
That's basically right. I usually dissolve the priming sugar in a quart or so of the apfelwein rather then water, but that's just a personal preference. Just make sure that your priming sugar is thoroughly mixed with your apfelwein. If you don't, you could end up with differences in carbonation between bottles.

You don't need to let it sit after adding your priming sugar. Potassium sorbate prevents yeast reproduction and would make it take forever for your priming sugar to ferment and carb your bottles, so no. Don't add campden if you are bottle carbing.

You also don't need to pasteurize. Your priming sugar is going to ferment and produce a fairly precise amount of co2. Enough to carbonate, not enough to make a mess or blow up the bottles. If you back sweeten with something fermentable, then you need to pasteurize before to much of it ferments and starts blowing up the bottles. In your case, there wouldn't be any sugar to ferment in the bottles that would cause you a problem. That's why lactose or splenda are good choices for back sweetening. They don't ferment, so the process for sweetening and carbing is really straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munro View Post
Awesome thanks. Last two things. I know it's all subject to ones own taste but is there a good start point for how much Splenda to a 5 gallon. This ties into oxidation. I'm thinking if I stir it in then keep adding to taste and keep stiring it will oxidize it. Is that a concern with apfelwine? Anyone had any off tastes from leaving it on yeast cake for almost 3 months?
Well, tastes for sweetness vary a great deal. I would recommend pulling a quart or so as a sample. Sweeten that to taste, and keep track of how much sweetener you need. Multiplying that amount of sweetener by the total batch volume should get you in the right ballpark.

For some reason, cider just doesn't seem to have the problem with oxidation that most other fermented beverages do. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Just bottled my first batch if this stuff.

It sat in primary for just over 6 months. Made it 4/4/13, and bottled today. tastes great from the bottling bucket. I bottled half still and half I primed at hopefully around 2.0 vol CO2.

My question was during cleanup. I used a glass carboy for primary. It still smells like the Apfelwine. I used a hot soak of PBW, hot rinse, and then starsan. It still smells pretty strongly of it. Also, the bottling bucket still smells of it too, even after a wash. Anyone else get this??
Not in glass, in plastic sure. Try scrubbing it down with baking soda in a little water. That won't completely get rid of it in plastic if you fermented in a bucket. In a bottling bucket, where it wasn't there very long, that and a week or so to air should take care of it.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #11763
THEUKRAINIAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I took the op's recipe and giving that a try for my first time

image-1439813312.jpg

--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #11764
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When bottling my Apfelwein, if I am not carbonating, is it still ok to leave headspace in the bottle? I ask because it's just easier and faster to use my bottling wand and leave the same headspace I do for beer. THanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #11765
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Opening some 6-month old apfelwein tonight. I made it with honey instead of dextrose, should be pretty interesting.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #11766
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken
Opening some 6-month old apfelwein tonight. I made it with honey instead of dextrose, should be pretty interesting.
So does that make it an apfelwein or an apple mead? ;-)

Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #11767
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tries adding oak to their apfelwein for last 5-7 days?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #11768
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
When bottling my Apfelwein, if I am not carbonating, is it still ok to leave headspace in the bottle? I ask because it's just easier and faster to use my bottling wand and leave the same headspace I do for beer. THanks.
That's perfectly fine. I bottle with standard headspace all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
So does that make it an apfelwein or an apple mead? ;-)
Hmm, in my opinion you can only really call it a cyser if the dominant fermentable is honey. So, it would depend on the proportions. I know lots of people will disagree though.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #11769
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Hmm...the 6-month old apfelwein with honey is good but very thin. Drinks like water with an apple essence. No alcohol harshness at all. Maybe now to try it on the SWMBO?

Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #11770
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
Hmm...the 6-month old apfelwein with honey is good but very thin. Drinks like water with an apple essence. No alcohol harshness at all. Maybe now to try it on the SWMBO?
Sweeten slightly, and don't tell her the ABV.

Quick Reply