New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #11501
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
My batch has been sitting for 5 weeks now and although I don't plan to bottle until the 2 month mark, I'm starting to think if there is anything else I'll need to do prior to bottling? Edwort doesn't mention adding anything prior to bottling (K-Meta or Sorbate) and I also don't see mention of degassing the wine. I walk by the wine often and usually give it a swirl every night to mix it up and keep it active. I have noticed that it's definitely still got a lot of co2 in it and I don't want any bottle bombs. Do you guys degas your apfelwein or will it work out on its own in the next 3 weeks?
Im curious about this as well.

I have a batch that is just over 4 months old. Been bulk aged in a carboy.

I want to bottle it within a week, with 1/2 carbed and 1/2 not carbed. Going to prime with apple juice concentrate. Is there enough yeast (its crystal clear) in suspension to carb it? Should I shake a bit of yeast into suspension to carb it?

And does anything need to be added to the non carbed (K meta, sorbate)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #11502
Kdog22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
My batch has been sitting for 5 weeks now and although I don't plan to bottle until the 2 month mark, I'm starting to think if there is anything else I'll need to do prior to bottling? Edwort doesn't mention adding anything prior to bottling (K-Meta or Sorbate) and I also don't see mention of degassing the wine. I walk by the wine often and usually give it a swirl every night to mix it up and keep it active. I have noticed that it's definitely still got a lot of co2 in it and I don't want any bottle bombs. Do you guys degas your apfelwein or will it work out on its own in the next 3 weeks?

I'd imagine that at the 2 month mark, the fermentation should be well done. With no new fermantable sugar sources added, there should be no worry of bottle bombs. Therefore, there should be no need for kmeta and sorbate. There should be no need to swirl the apfelwein, either. I'd just let it set and clarify now if I were you.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #11503
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anybody ever tried this w wlp090? I have used both wine yeast and us-5. SWMBO likes it but it packs a bit too much wallop. Thinking of dropping the extra sugar.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #11504
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1758

Quote:
The residual dissolved co2 isn't even close to enough to cause a bottle bomb. You generally get bottle bombs when you bottle with sugar still in solution and the yeast continues to produce co2 in the bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Im curious about this as well.

I have a batch that is just over 4 months old. Been bulk aged in a carboy.

I want to bottle it within a week, with 1/2 carbed and 1/2 not carbed. Going to prime with apple juice concentrate. Is there enough yeast (its crystal clear) in suspension to carb it? Should I shake a bit of yeast into suspension to carb it?

And does anything need to be added to the non carbed (K meta, sorbate)?
It will carb up. Don't be surprised if it takes a couple months though.

I don't personally add anything when I bottle still. If I've got a batch I think might go vinegary, I'll pasteurize it. Mostly though, I just bottle once fermentation is completely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon View Post
Anybody ever tried this w wlp090? I have used both wine yeast and us-5. SWMBO likes it but it packs a bit too much wallop. Thinking of dropping the extra sugar.
If it's on the strong side, then yeah omitting the extra sugar is a good idea. Most commercial juice is still about 1.050, so if it ferments to 1.0 you are still looking at a 6.7% ABV.

I haven't tried wlp090, but I have had good results with Pasteur champagne. Though, that does ferment extremely dry.

Another option would be to dilute the finished brew with unfermented apple juice. Then bottle pasteurize. That would let you drop the ABV, and add some sweetness back.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #11505
dlprice45
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Yeah, not enough co2 to cause bottle bombs, just enough to give the finished product a nice effervescence!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #11506
LawrenceJackson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlprice45 View Post
Yeah, not enough co2 to cause bottle bombs, just enough to give the finished product a nice effervescence!
I'm not concerned about bottle bombs and if I bulk age long enough degassing shouldn't be necessary. But the one thing I still worry about is not using k-meta. Isn't there a risk of oxidation if you don't use k-meta? I'm at the end of week 1 of my first attempt at Apfelwein and I want to clear-up any potential problems before I get to bottling time. Anyone ever have a problem with oxidation?

Thanks,

LOUMIK

Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #11507
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1758

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceJackson View Post
I'm not concerned about bottle bombs and if I bulk age long enough degassing shouldn't be necessary. But the one thing I still worry about is not using k-meta. Isn't there a risk of oxidation if you don't use k-meta? I'm at the end of week 1 of my first attempt at Apfelwein and I want to clear-up any potential problems before I get to bottling time. Anyone ever have a problem with oxidation?

Thanks,

LOUMIK
I've only had an oxidation problem with a gallon I didn't have bottle space for. It got stored in the plastic juice jug. After 6 months, it had a very slight cardboard flavor. I've never had an oxidation issue when I've stored in glass.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #11508
Grimster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Scored a box of peaches for $5 this week, all of them were bruised and/or overripe or just ugly, but I got nearly 2 gallons of juice out of them. Added 3 gallons of apple juice, and sugar to reach 1.090 and it's now fermenting like crazy with EC1118. Can't wait to sweeten and keg it, I expect good things from it.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #11509
Tulpa
Recipes 

Well, I'm about to start making my first brew, and I decided on making Apfelwein after seeing this thread. My brother used to make blueberry wine and I was going to make a batch, but I decided to go with this instead because it sounded pretty delicious and I've been drinking some hard cider and apple beer every once in a while. Just need to rig up a blow off tube tomorrow and let the silicone cure for 24 hours before I start it. Going to try it with some natural sugar. Should end up pretty tasty. I think I'll add about 2 cups extra sugar to the 5 gallons.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #11510
blackhammer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Just a quick question. I just bottled by Apfelwein after 6 weeks in the primary. My FG reading was 1.002. Will I have any problems with "bottle bombs"? I know I should have taken a reading prior to bottling, but I thought I would be out of the woods after 6 weeks The yeast is Montrachet and the O.G. was 1.07.

Last edited by blackhammer; 08-21-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: additional clarity

Quick Reply