Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #11411
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Anyone ever try this with sweet cherries? The original recipe plus 3-5lbs of sweet cherries? I can't find tart which is why I am thinking of sweet cherries. Also how long to let them all sit? The duration of the aging process? 3-5 months?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #11412
witz87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Loving this stuff so far! My in-laws don't seem to like it because it isn't anywhere sweet enough for them, but I've shared it with a few co-workers as "payment" for things like carpooling and such, and have had nothing but positive feedback!

on a side note...I had a batch of cider going that just wasn't fermenting very quick. Using a small yeast starter, it went from a SG of 1.059 to 1.051 in about a week. After reading the ingredients, I realized that the cider I purchased contained Potassium Sorbate...crap. After the first two batches of Apfelwein, I noticed the size of the yeast cake in the bottom. I decided to leave a bit of Apfelwein in the bottom to swirl around to suspend the yeast cake, and dumped it in to the Cider. After 2-3 days, it's down to about 1.01, and with a bit of backsweetening the wife (and likely the inlaws) absolutely love that as well!

Just one more use for Apfelwein, at lest until it's fresh cider season anyways!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #11413
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Anyone ever try this with sweet cherries? The original recipe plus 3-5lbs of sweet cherries? I can't find tart which is why I am thinking of sweet cherries. Also how long to let them all sit? The duration of the aging process? 3-5 months?
Thanks!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/unicorn-blood-356892/
For fruit solid additions I like to add the fruit after it's hit FG. Then leave it all together for two weeks. For cherries, I then remove and squeeze the fruit. Returning the liquid yielded by squeezing to the batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witz87 View Post
Loving this stuff so far! My in-laws don't seem to like it because it isn't anywhere sweet enough for them, but I've shared it with a few co-workers as "payment" for things like carpooling and such, and have had nothing but positive feedback!

on a side note...I had a batch of cider going that just wasn't fermenting very quick. Using a small yeast starter, it went from a SG of 1.059 to 1.051 in about a week. After reading the ingredients, I realized that the cider I purchased contained Potassium Sorbate...crap. After the first two batches of Apfelwein, I noticed the size of the yeast cake in the bottom. I decided to leave a bit of Apfelwein in the bottom to swirl around to suspend the yeast cake, and dumped it in to the Cider. After 2-3 days, it's down to about 1.01, and with a bit of backsweetening the wife (and likely the inlaws) absolutely love that as well!

Just one more use for Apfelwein, at lest until it's fresh cider season anyways!
I'm glad it came out well. Yeah, potassium sorbate interferes with yeast reproduction but doesn't actually kill it.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #11414
witz87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/unicorn-blood-356892/
For fruit solid additions I like to add the fruit after it's hit FG. Then leave it all together for two weeks. For cherries, I then remove and squeeze the fruit. Returning the liquid yielded by squeezing to the batch.

I'm glad it came out well. Yeah, potassium sorbate interferes with yeast reproduction but doesn't actually kill it.
I figured that out through all the reading I did (after the fact though, of course). Figured my billions of Apfelwein yeast cells could do better than simply ending up down the drain!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #11415
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just took a sample of mine after 4.5 weeks in the bucket. Tastes very dry and sour/tart, and the sample read 0.998. Will take another one near the end of the week to see if it's done fermenting. It's a little sour for my liking, I just want some sweetness to take the edge off, I'm not looking for Woodchuck's sweetness or anything. Plan is to pick up some lactose and take a sample and figure out my ratio, and add that and priming sugar when I bottle. Sounds like this is an appropriate way to sweeten a little, and bottle carb without (hopefully) bottle bombs?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #11416
dlprice45
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You need to let it sit three times as long as you have, the sour/tartness will smooth out with aging. It's excellent left dry once it is done aging, be patient and you won't have to mess with sweetening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinghamtonEd View Post
Just took a sample of mine after 4.5 weeks in the bucket. Tastes very dry and sour/tart, and the sample read 0.998. Will take another one near the end of the week to see if it's done fermenting. It's a little sour for my liking, I just want some sweetness to take the edge off, I'm not looking for Woodchuck's sweetness or anything. Plan is to pick up some lactose and take a sample and figure out my ratio, and add that and priming sugar when I bottle. Sounds like this is an appropriate way to sweeten a little, and bottle carb without (hopefully) bottle bombs?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #11417
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlprice45 View Post
You need to let it sit three times as long as you have, the sour/tartness will smooth out with aging. It's excellent left dry once it is done aging, be patient and you won't have to mess with sweetening.
Can I prime and bottle and then let it sit for another couple months, or does it need to age in the fermenter?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #11418
CooperBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Keep it in your fermenter. Mine is at 2-1/2 months right now, I plan on keeping it in there another few months. I'm in no rush.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #11419
Walter_Whites_Batch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My $0.02 on sweetening bottle-carbed apfelwein: since you will always pour this into a glass to serve, pour it over ice, add an ounce of apple juice to it. It tastes exactly like the Somersby cider that is so popular on restaurant patios right now (they serve it on ice).

Personally, I prefer it dry and bottle-carbed, but the ice cold sweetened sparkling version was pretty tasty too.

Andrew

Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #11420
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'm at about 5 weeks in since I put everything together. Fermentation has stopped and it's slowly aging and clearing. Cannot wait to give this a try. I'm having a hard time deciding weather or not to bottle the whole batch still or try carbing a gallon or two when the time comes.

Quick Reply