Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #11391
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I only use spirits in my airlock if I'm having issues with fruit flies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #11392
sawbossFogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
I've got a gallon of a batch I ran out of bottles for in a musselmans plastic apple cider jug. After 6 months in the jug, I've got a hint of cardboard. The same batch in glass does not have this flavor.

It's up to you, but if you're not going to drink it within 6 months or so I'd bottle in glass if I could.
Helpful, thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #11393
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here's my 1 gallon. Was in the jug for a about 3.5 months because I couldn't get around to bottling it. The bottles on the right came out a little bit cloudy because I accidentally stirred up some of the yeast and sediment when moving to the last bottle.
Forgot to take an OG measurement but FG came out to about 0.998. I should be safe from having to pasteurize or bottle bombs right?

Took a sample and I can definitely smell the effects of the extra sugar. A little bit more tart than I thought but not bad still.
These bottles are going into hiding now. Can't wait to taste them in 6-8 months.

2013-07-16-23.10.05-small-.jpg   2013-07-16-23.10.18-medium-.jpg  

Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein
Kegs: Amarillo Saison
Primary: Nitrogen/oxygen
Secondary: Water spots

Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #11394
kwakws
Recipes 

Hi guys! I've been following this thread for some time now and just yesterday bottles by 20th gal thus far.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience repitching?

I just dumped the sugar onto the lees and topped it off with a fresh batch of apple juice.

In any case, I'll be sure to share the outcome

Cheers!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #11395
Wineomatic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am going to be working with a 6.5 gallon Carboy, I understand (or think to understand) that the mesurements are .4 (4 ounces) of Dextrose to every gallon. So for 6.5 Gallons would 3 pounds of Dextrose suffice or will it effect the taste ("tart" as I read two posts up)?

Is there an OG/SG that anyone possibly has to ensure consistency and accuracy? (used the search option couldn't find it)

Also, is the measurement moved to a full cup of Dextrose for bottling or does it stay at 3/4s? Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #11396
Walter_Whites_Batch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineomatic View Post
I am going to be working with a 6.5 gallon Carboy, I understand (or think to understand) that the mesurements are .4 (4 ounces) of Dextrose to every gallon. So for 6.5 Gallons would 3 pounds of Dextrose suffice or will it effect the taste ("tart" as I read two posts up)?

Is there an OG/SG that anyone possibly has to ensure consistency and accuracy? (used the search option couldn't find it)

Also, is the measurement moved to a full cup of Dextrose for bottling or does it stay at 3/4s? Thanks!
If the original recipe calls for 2 lbs in a 5 gal batch, that is 32 ounces of dextrose, right (16 ounces to a pound)? divided by 5 gallons, that is 6.4 ounces per gallon. so you should use 41.6 ounces in a 6.5 gallon batch, or about 2 and a half pounds. That is what I use in my 6.5 gallon batches.

*Ed buys his dextrose by the 1lb bag, but I buy mine by the 10kg (22.5lb) bag, and since my wife has a digital scale for baking, and I've been also making apfelwein in a 54L demi, I've had to do a few calculations...

Andrew

Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #11397
thelerner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Starting batch #3. Good things from last 3 gallon batch- using Nottinham yeast, adding raisins (after boiling them) for taste and yeast nutrient and less rhino burps. The bad I added too much sugar, I put in 2#'s into a 3 gallon carboy. I let it brew longer -for 3 months, it tastes fine, got good reviews from drinking buddies, but tasting it away from peer pressure I see the back end is sharp and musty, too much sugar. I also used cheap apple juice, Motts which had lots of vitamin C which could lead to tartness.

This time I'm going back to Trader Joe's fresh pressed, using there MacIntosh juice. I notice it has less sugar then other brands, only 25 grams per 8 oz, vs 30 in other brands and no vitamin C, which could come back to bite me later due to no preservative qualities. Still the juice by itself tastes very good.

This batch 2 3/4 gallon TJ MacIntosh fresh press apple juice, nottingham yeast, roughly 8 oz of dextrose, roughly 8 oz of light brown sugar, 5 oz of non sulphured raisins, 1 vanilla pod, one ball nutmeg, one cinnamon stick and 1 packet of nottingham yeast.

I'm thinking dextrose is a fast neutral sugar, light brown sugar is slower and leaves a bit more color and flavor, lastly the raisins will a bit of sugar and flavoring throughout the whole process as well as keep the yeast happy. Also as a cooking theory to make the best, use the best ingredients. So $2.99 a half gallon fresh press vs $1.39 Motts.

I borrowed a neighbors hydrometer, I got a reading of 1.49 that seems low, but I'm chasing flavor now, not alcohol content.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #11398
thefojizzle
Recipes 

New to this guys. So, made my batch about a month ago. It's in a 6 gallon carboy. Followed the recipe to the t. It blew the airlock off! I wasn't gonna bottle till oct/nov. is it ok to leave it in that same carboy all that time? Will it go rancid in there? Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #11399
endorphine44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

thefojizzle, it'll probably be fine in the same carboy but I'd probably rack it to a new one at the 3 month mark just to be safe. I left my batch in the same bucket for about 3 months before I bottled it and it came out great.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #11400
thefojizzle
Recipes 

cool thanks endorphine44. do you think I can make a priming sugar and instead of putting it in bottles, that it would work if I put it in mason jars to give as gifts? thanks

Quick Reply