Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #11381
Kdog22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
I'm trying this out tonight and I can't wait. I've been wanting to get into brewing and wine making for a while and this seems like a good way to ease into it.

I have a couple questions before I start.

I'm stopping by the local HBS today and hopefully they have dextrose. If they don't and I have to use brown sugar should I be using light or dark? What's the difference in the end product between using brown sugar and corn sugar?

Should I be mixing everything in a primary bucket and then funnel it into my carboy before adding the yeast or should I just mix the sugar in the half full bottles of apple juice?
Dunno about the sugar part but no need to sanitize and dirty a primary bucket to mix everything in. Mixing the sugar in the half full containers per the instructions works great and makes throwing everything together that much easier and quicker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #11382
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
I'm trying this out tonight and I can't wait. I've been wanting to get into brewing and wine making for a while and this seems like a good way to ease into it.

I have a couple questions before I start.

I'm stopping by the local HBS today and hopefully they have dextrose. If they don't and I have to use brown sugar should I be using light or dark? What's the difference in the end product between using brown sugar and corn sugar?

Should I be mixing everything in a primary bucket and then funnel it into my carboy before adding the yeast or should I just mix the sugar in the half full bottles of apple juice?
Brown sugar is made by adding molasses back to refined white sugar after they have been separated. Light brown sugar has less molasses added back then dark brown sugar.

Brown sugar changes the flavor of the finished product, corn sugar just adds alcohol. I personally don't care for the flavor imparted by molasses after it's finished fermenting. Sort of odd to my palette, not in a good way. If I was going to use something instead of corn sugar I'd just use granulated white sugar. In fact, I have done that many times. It takes a little more work to get the sugar to dissolve, but other then that I haven't noticed any problem using table sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog22 View Post
Dunno about the sugar part but no need to sanitize and dirty a primary bucket to mix everything in. Mixing the sugar in the half full containers per the instructions works great and makes throwing everything together that much easier and quicker.
This.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #11383
Ohara
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello new here, but I love this forum. Long time lurker. I just threw this together 2 days ago per the original recipe. Tonight it's burping like a thousand time's a minute. It's non stop. Sounds like a car ideling. Is this a good sign? I'm new to home brew anything so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #11384
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
Hello new here, but I love this forum. Long time lurker. I just threw this together 2 days ago per the original recipe. Tonight it's burping like a thousand time's a minute. It's non stop. Sounds like a car ideling. Is this a good sign? I'm new to home brew anything so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
That's about how mine sounded for a few days. It's a good thing

Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #11385
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post

Thanks.
Welcome, and yes. That's normal, even good.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #11386
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Heading toward aging of my second batch and wondering if anyone just uses the original Treetop gallon containers? I carbonated all but one gallon of the first batch which I just fridged in a Treetop jug and enjoyed. I like the sparkling version as well, but prefer the wine style. Don't really see the sense in bottling it unless someone has had a poor experience aging in Treetop top jugs. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #11387
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've got a gallon of a batch I ran out of bottles for in a musselmans plastic apple cider jug. After 6 months in the jug, I've got a hint of cardboard. The same batch in glass does not have this flavor.

It's up to you, but if you're not going to drink it within 6 months or so I'd bottle in glass if I could.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #11388
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was able to find corn sugar and followed Edworts recipe exactly. After a day or so it began vigorously bubbling and has been for 3 days now. I have a 3 piece airlock on it filled with vodka. From what I understand vodka evaporates quickly and the more its bubbling the quicker it will evaporate. My question is, I will be gone for 5 days this coming weekend. Will I be ok leaving the airlock or do you think it will dry out before I come home?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #11389
GenIke
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
I was able to find corn sugar and followed Edworts recipe exactly. After a day or so it began vigorously bubbling and has been for 3 days now. I have a 3 piece airlock on it filled with vodka. From what I understand vodka evaporates quickly and the more its bubbling the quicker it will evaporate. My question is, I will be gone for 5 days this coming weekend. Will I be ok leaving the airlock or do you think it will dry out before I come home?
You'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #11390
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Just a little tip. You don't have to use vodka. I just fill my airlock with water and add a pinch of k-meta or sodium metabisulphite. It takes a long long time for my airlocks to go dry.

Quick Reply