New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #11371
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm in Texas too and room temperature (77 to 69) depending on time of year and time of day has worked best for me.

I would never subject it to the wide ranges of temp in a garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #11372
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I'm in Texas too and room temperature (77 to 69) depending on time of year and time of day has worked best for me.

I would never subject it to the wide ranges of temp in a garage.
It's good to see you back online Ed

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #11373
SupervisingChildren
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I fermented mine in the basement. Carbed half and did half still. It's finally carbed and wonderful!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #11374
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I would age it at room temp in the house and I would age it off the yeast. 3 months is the max I leave it on the yeast at room temp, then bulk age in a keg.

Cheers,

EdWort
Thanks for chiming in! I'll rack it off the yeast as soon as my kegs arrive in the mail then. I'll just age it in the keg in my chest freezer

Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #11375
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

There was caramel vodka in the discount bin, so I bought some and made caramel apple cider cocktails: 1oz caramel vodka and 6oz apfelwein cider over ice.

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #11376
TexasWine

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just curious, anybody tried vacuum degassing this stuff to try and cut the time till you can get it into a bottle?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #11377
Tom128
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started a batch of this on 6/18, it looked easy and sounds tasty. I had it in a 5G bucket and just moved it to a 5G jug today as I wanted to use the bucket. I took a reading and the SG is at 0.994 right now so I think its done or almost since the SP is so low and nothing in the airlock yet.

Anywho - I am interested in some input as I am still new to home brewing. When I did the transfer there was a bit more space at the top of the jug than I like (a bit more than the 9-12-06 jug in the first post). I actually saved about half a bottle of apple juice for this situation. HOWEVER - I left that half bottle out on the counter, sealed, for two days without thinking about it. Oddly enough even though it was pasteurized it started to ferment on it's own. Wild yeast in the air I assume. I found it funny and actually topped it off with water and put it under and airlock and treated it as it's own, very diluted, brew. About a week ago it finished. I racked it once and it's completely clear now with nothing at the bottom sitting in my fridge. My question is - do you guys think it would be safe to use this extra diluted cider to top off my main batch? My only reason for hesitation is that it started fermenting on its own with wild yeast. Like I said it seems to have finished completely so I assume it's safe to use, but I would hate to introduce something this late that could mess it up.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #11378
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom128 View Post
I started a batch of this on 6/18, it looked easy and sounds tasty. I had it in a 5G bucket and just moved it to a 5G jug today as I wanted to use the bucket. I took a reading and the SG is at 0.994 right now so I think its done or almost since the SP is so low and nothing in the airlock yet.

Anywho - I am interested in some input as I am still new to home brewing. When I did the transfer there was a bit more space at the top of the jug than I like (a bit more than the 9-12-06 jug in the first post). I actually saved about half a bottle of apple juice for this situation. HOWEVER - I left that half bottle out on the counter, sealed, for two days without thinking about it. Oddly enough even though it was pasteurized it started to ferment on it's own. Wild yeast in the air I assume. I found it funny and actually topped it off with water and put it under and airlock and treated it as it's own, very diluted, brew. About a week ago it finished. I racked it once and it's completely clear now with nothing at the bottom sitting in my fridge. My question is - do you guys think it would be safe to use this extra diluted cider to top off my main batch? My only reason for hesitation is that it started fermenting on its own with wild yeast. Like I said it seems to have finished completely so I assume it's safe to use, but I would hate to introduce something this late that could mess it up.
If it's stopped fermenting, it's probably ok. You might get a little fermentation, but it will likely be negligible to taste. That is, if the wild fermentation tastes good.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #11379
trilene48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default love this stuff

i had to sign up for the sight. i am new to making and brewing but i had tried some of the apple n all i can say is yumm being a big apple fan from smoking my food and soaking my food in apple juice marinades i cant wait to make this im going to try it in some 1 gallon carboys that i have

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #11380
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm trying this out tonight and I can't wait. I've been wanting to get into brewing and wine making for a while and this seems like a good way to ease into it.

I have a couple questions before I start.

I'm stopping by the local HBS today and hopefully they have dextrose. If they don't and I have to use brown sugar should I be using light or dark? What's the difference in the end product between using brown sugar and corn sugar?

Should I be mixing everything in a primary bucket and then funnel it into my carboy before adding the yeast or should I just mix the sugar in the half full bottles of apple juice?

Quick Reply