Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #11361
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupervisingChildren View Post
Yep, I was trying to get down to their level hahaha
I would think that by the end of the 6 pack it would be "up" to their level.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #11362
CooperBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mines going on the 2 month mark in the carboy, going to give it a little more time. Sure smells nice though.

Primary -10 gals of Skeeter Pee
Kegged & Drinking - Citra Rye IPA, Boston Red Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #11363
Justdrumin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just opened a bottle after a month primary and three months in the bottle....WOW! It is fantastic! I have another batch that's been sitting in the primary for three months. I'm thinking about bottling and ageing it another three months. Leave it in primary or bottle? I also have two other ciders that I got from a local orchard. I didn't add any extra sugar to it to boost og. One i used champagne yeast and one with so4. Og was 1.046 and 1.052. I was hoping it would come out a lil sweeter. I love making this stuff!!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, Oktoberfest Lager
Kegged: IPL
Future: Düsseldorf Alt, Noble Pils, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #11364
thelerner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Bottled my 2nd batch yesterday. It'd been in the carboy 3 1/2 months. I added cheap AJ Motts on top old yeast cake, added half a cup of cleaned raisins and about 2 pounds of brown sugar. Which was more then I meant to, I should have only added one. Nonetheless it started fermenting nicely the next day.

My original batch using some Trader Joe's AJ, Nottingham yeast, 1# dextrose and a handful of raisins had become a clear tasty batch in 1 1/2 months. Having added 2#'s of sugar to 3 gallons I wanted to give it more time in the bottle.

In a taste testing the original old cider was nicely smooth, clear, white winish with a clear apple nose. The new batch was also good, stronger, more apple taste, thicker body, darker too and more cidery. Sweet enough so that I didn't feel like adding any extra sugar to the bottles. We drank it the same day it was bottled so while it was chilled it might have been a bit yeasty.

For my 3rd batch I'll start w/ fresh yeast, maybe go back to Trader Joe's AJ, it has less vitamin C which may make it a bit less tart. Keep adding raisins which I assume give nutrients to the yeast cycle and use 8 ounces of dextrose, 8 of brown sugar and continue to use Nottingham ale yeast which gave me no off smells while brewing in a closet.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #11365
Rockindaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made my first batch of this yesterday per Ed's original recipe and wow did my house stink this morning from the fermenting smell! I promptly took my hard lemonade out of my fermentation chamber and put this in! I'll let it stink up the freezer all it wants.

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"

Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #11366
BinghamtonEd
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I started my first batch on June 21st. Will be out of town until late July. Will bottling at 5 or 6 weeks after pitching be too early (assuming it's fully attenuated at that point)?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #11367
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinghamtonEd View Post
I started my first batch on June 21st. Will be out of town until late July. Will bottling at 5 or 6 weeks after pitching be too early (assuming it's fully attenuated at that point)?
Speaking only for myself, I bottled at 4 weeks, and tried a couple of uncarbed samples. They are delicious. I'm waiting on most of the batch until after thanksgiving, but we'll see about that. 6 weeks should be good.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #11368
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hey all, hoping I can get some advice...

I've got a batch aging in the garage that's hit the 4 month mark and I planned on leaving it until september. Problem is that the garage is scorching hot now during the day and the carboy reads off the fermtape (my guess is low 80's).

1) Is it safe where it is so long as I stay within the yeast tolerance for temperature?
2) Does the temperature only matter during active fermentation?

For convenience, I'd like to leave it where it is if there will be little to no ill effect. But if need be, I can move some of the goods in my chest freezer and put the carboy up in there. Under normal spring/fall/winter weather conditions I'd just leave it be in primary where it site, but the temperature has me worried about autolysis and spoiling 3 months of patience!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #11369
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
Hey all, hoping I can get some advice...

I've got a batch aging in the garage that's hit the 4 month mark and I planned on leaving it until september. Problem is that the garage is scorching hot now during the day and the carboy reads off the fermtape (my guess is low 80's).

1) Is it safe where it is so long as I stay within the yeast tolerance for temperature?

For convenience, I'd like to leave it where it is if there will be little to no ill effect. But if need be, I can move some of the goods in my chest freezer and put the carboy up in there. Under normal spring/fall/winter weather conditions I'd just leave it be in primary where it site, but the temperature has me worried about autolysis and spoiling 3 months of patience!
I would age it at room temp in the house and I would age it off the yeast. 3 months is the max I leave it on the yeast at room temp, then bulk age in a keg.

Cheers,

EdWort

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #11370
TexasWine

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post

I've been dealing with high temps here in Texas as well. For your questions, I would answer them in reverse order. It's my understanding that temperature matters at every stage. Pitching, fermentation, aging, everything. But temperature impacts different things at different stages, and you may have different temperature requirements at different phases.

During active fermentation you'll obviously want to keep temperature within the acceptable range for the yeasts. But you may not necessarily want to age at the upper end of what a particular yeast can tolerate during fermentation. Some yeasts can tolerate really high temperatures, like over 90F. I would imagine high temps at aging could cause other issues.

I'm just getting started in this whole endeavor of making things at home, so please double check what I've written with someone more experienced. Hopefully I haven't written anything heretical

Quick Reply