Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #11221
captgreg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Anyone try wlp720 for apfelwein? I've got a batch 2 weeks in primary so far and it smells awesome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #11222
CooperBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm amazed at the amount of activity in my 5 gallon carboy. I made a batch of this last Friday afternoon (5-17-13) and within 12 hours it was bubbling furiously. It still hasn't slowed down as of this morning! How long does it take before it "calms" down?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #11223
truvr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bottled my first batch on Sunday after 3 months in the primary. It tasted delightful. Any suggestions on what to expect from the bottle - how long should I age in the bottle before I start cracking these open?

I bottled part of this batch still and primed the rest. And I immediately started a new batch on the yeast cake which is now happily churning away.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #11224
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truvr View Post
I just bottled my first batch on Sunday after 3 months in the primary. It tasted delightful. Any suggestions on what to expect from the bottle - how long should I age in the bottle before I start cracking these open?

I bottled part of this batch still and primed the rest. And I immediately started a new batch on the yeast cake which is now happily churning away.
When u added more on top of the yeast cake did you add another packet of yeast or just use what was left in the yeast cake? And did you shake it to mix it all up again in the juice and sugar

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #11225
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls

When u added more on top of the yeast cake did you add another packet of yeast or just use what was left in the yeast cake? And did you shake it to mix it all up again in the juice and sugar
No need to add yeast or shake.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #11226
Ramon
Recipes 

My first batch is at 4 weeks June 1. How long should I let this age (within reason) before I try to bottle? Also I'd like to carbonate. Do I prime this the same way I'd do beer? Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #11227
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
My first batch is at 4 weeks June 1. How long should I let this age (within reason) before I try to bottle? Also I'd like to carbonate. Do I prime this the same way I'd do beer? Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before.
Opinions vary a lot here. I prefer to bottle before I hit 6 weeks. I've had wine start tasting like soy sauce if it was left in primary after 7-8 weeks. To be honest though, I've never left any kind of cider in primary for more then 4.

Yes, the priming is identical to how beer is done.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #11228
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've had my first batch made exactly to Ed's recipe in the fermentor for five weeks and thieving a taster, I thought it was great! Gotta get more going and read up here on opinions on carbing. Should make great holiday favors next Christmas!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #11229
truvr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls View Post

I just poured the new juice on top. Some of the yeast cake broke apart and floated up to the top so I scooped a bunch of that out so I could take a reading.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #11230
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I shoot for 6 weeks minimum but don't worry too much about going past that. I did have a 6 month+ batch that had clearly detrimental oxidation. I ferment in a 5 gallon better bottle filled about to the neck. No transferring except to prime/bottle. Priming process is the same, but I go for a higher volume of co2
Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Quick Reply