Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #11121
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have seen it take 4 months to carbonate a quad, and these are higher alcohol than that so I wouldn't expect any significant carbonation for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #11122
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Took me almost 4 weeks to carb my last batch of Carmel cider. The higher the abv and the longer it sits in the primary it's gonna take longer if at all. Next time don't ferment it dry and then bottle and prime, it'll take about 3-4 days that way so be sure to keep a eye on it so you don't over carb.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #11123
Roughster
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
That's a nice bathtub to use as carboy storage.
It has behaved quite nicely. Strong line of small bubbles with no issues even remotely putting it close to top of headspace levels. It actually started looking like it is trying to clarify. I just plan on leaving it alone for a good amount of time. It is fermented dry 0.990 and last tasting could just get a hint of apple.

It sucks waiting!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #11124
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default I forgot to tell you guys it was fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
Normal apfelwein is about 8%. Yours will be about 10%. Give it some extra time to age, but I doubt that it will be intolerable.
Well my old apfelwein was great with 4 lbs of sugar. So good in fact that I just started a bacth a week ago with 9 lbs!!! No joke!!

I used 9 lbs cane sugar, 5.5 gallons apple juice and 3 tablespoons yeast nutrient and the fermentation sounds like an aquarium pump (i added the yeast nutrient and cane sugar in increments over the first 7 days, not all at once)

5 weeks to go before I give this a try. ec1118 is indeed a beast!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #11125
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Holy **** your body's going to hate you.

Except your brain and taste buds, those will love you.

For a while.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #11126
Pinetop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Made my first batch of this Feb 6th and was in the primary until April 16. Kegged at 10 psi and drinking my first glass tonight...incredible recipe! Very smooth with light apple tast and aroma.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #11127
realtree2
Recipes 

I just made a 1 gallon batch on sunday and my airlock has pretty much stopped bubbling. Is that normal?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #11128
thejudge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtree2
I just made a 1 gallon batch on sunday and my airlock has pretty much stopped bubbling. Is that normal?
Probably just slowed down, how much yeast did you pitch? I usually pitch about 2.5-3g myself and get up to 8-10days activity. If you believe it's done(which it probably isn't) take hydro readings 2-3 days in a row and if the readings are all the same it's done. Now if fg isn't reached you can repitch more yeast to restart ferm. I've had to do all this before because of not adding enough yeast or creating a starter, so hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #11129
realtree2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge

Probably just slowed down, how much yeast did you pitch? I usually pitch about 2.5-3g myself and get up to 8-10days activity. If you believe it's done(which it probably isn't) take hydro readings 2-3 days in a row and if the readings are all the same it's done. Now if fg isn't reached you can repitch more yeast to restart ferm. I've had to do all this before because of not adding enough yeast or creating a starter, so hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply! I pitched a whole 5g pack of montrachet (didn't have any other use for it). I plan on letting it go the full 6 weeks anyway, i was just curious though.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #11130
thejudge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtree2

Thanks for the reply! I pitched a whole 5g pack of montrachet (didn't have any other use for it). I plan on letting it go the full 6 weeks anyway, i was just curious though.
If you pitched the whole thing it's prob done, just take readings starting tomorrow for a couple of days. If its where you want it then rack it to a secondary to clarify. Good luck,

Quick Reply