Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #11041
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Here is a one last question of mine, before I head home and try and assess the sulphur smell of the beer.

At this point (6 days in), if I add copper and "shake the hell out of it", do I have to worry about oxidation? Is there enough CO2 in there that I dont have to worry about it?

Any idea of how much yeast nutrient to add? Im assuming to follow direction on the package, but I usually just use a tiny pinch in yeast starters.

Im thinking adding the pennies. Pretty sure Ill have a bunch of them at home. Can I throw them in a sterilized hop bag then shake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #11042
high5apparatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I bottled my latest 5 gallon batch yesterday, priming with one can of frozen apple juice concentrate. My next batch will be aged with bourbon soaked oak chips.

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #11043
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hahaha. Well, that was fun.

Before dumping a handful of pennies into my carboy, I decided "Why dont I just add some of the yeast nutrient, and go from there. The sulphur smell was pretty much gone after 1 day (according to the wife), and I figured a little yeast nutrient wouldnt hurt.

So, I weighed out 4 grams of nutrient (directions state 1 gram per gallon of must). Although I have 6 gallons, I didnt think I needed that much. Its already going rather well according to the airlock, so I didnt want to add too much.

I slowly added the nutrient, and began to shake. Whoa!!!! WTF!! I instantly had a geyser of sugary aplle juice spewing from the airlock. I quickly grabbed a towel and stuck it over it. Then removed the airlock and let it spew foam all over the place.

Not sure what it was in he nutrient (Fermaid-K) that made it do this, but wow! I didnt really lose much liquid, but it foamed pretty good for a minute or two. After it settled, I refilled and replaced the airlock, cleaned the carboy and let it sit.

i dont think I am going to copper route. The liquid that came out smells great, no sulphur smell at all. Hopefully the Fermaid prevents any more from forming and it continues along without getting infected from the geyser of foam haha. What a morning. All this on 3 hours sleep. I need a nap

Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #11044
Walter_Whites_Batch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I made it to around the 2500th +post on this thread, and figured everything that could have been discussed about this beverage had been said. I brewed my 1st batch on March 29th as close as I could to Ed’s recipe. I couldn’t get Montrachet yeast, the closest substitute suggested at my LHBS was Lalvin K1-V116. It worked perfectly, and is still bubbling. True to post #1, I started a 2nd batch April 7, but because all my fermenters have been used for hoppy beer, I bought a new fermenting bucket, which is different from my other 3 fermenting buckets. It is taller, and skinnier. The lid came with a small hole pre-drilled, but there was no rubber seal ring around the rim of the lid. IT was VERY hard for me to force the lid onto this bucket (test fit) and even harder for me to pull it off. I figured it must be sealing properly (dummy). I put the recipe together (same as the 1st batch, again using Lalvin K1-V116) and saw airlock movement at about 24 hours. It never took off like the earlier batch. Today I noticed the sulphur smell, and the airlock is not really moving. It must be a bad seal? I must say, it is irritating.

Both the carboy and the skinny bucket are at constant 70F

I have an empty 10 gallon demijohn. Am I ok to combine these 2 batches in it? I am going to repurpose the skinny fermenting bucket as a bottling bucket perhaps. Should I just get a better bottle (or another carboy) and transfer the 2nd batch to it? If I clean out one of my beer fermenters and can’t smell residual hop smells, could I transfer it to one of those? If the apfelwein turns out as good as I think it will, maybe I’ll just make a 3rd monster batch in the demijohn (actually, I think it is 54L, which is 14 Gallons!)

Any Canadians out there find an online seller of Montrachet that doesn’t charge $38 to ship a $0.79 package of yeast? Oh, the juice I used (as tree top is not available here) was Rougemont. 100% juice with ascorbic acid... It is on discount at Costco right now. 6x2L bottles for around $11. Sorry for the massive post, but I wanted to be thorough. Cheers.

Andrew

Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #11045
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Hahaha. Well, that was fun.

Before dumping a handful of pennies into my carboy, I decided "Why dont I just add some of the yeast nutrient, and go from there. The sulphur smell was pretty much gone after 1 day (according to the wife), and I figured a little yeast nutrient wouldnt hurt.

So, I weighed out 4 grams of nutrient (directions state 1 gram per gallon of must). Although I have 6 gallons, I didnt think I needed that much. Its already going rather well according to the airlock, so I didnt want to add too much.

I slowly added the nutrient, and began to shake. Whoa!!!! WTF!! I instantly had a geyser of sugary aplle juice spewing from the airlock. I quickly grabbed a towel and stuck it over it. Then removed the airlock and let it spew foam all over the place.

Not sure what it was in he nutrient (Fermaid-K) that made it do this, but wow! I didnt really lose much liquid, but it foamed pretty good for a minute or two. After it settled, I refilled and replaced the airlock, cleaned the carboy and let it sit.

i dont think I am going to copper route. The liquid that came out smells great, no sulphur smell at all. Hopefully the Fermaid prevents any more from forming and it continues along without getting infected from the geyser of foam haha. What a morning. All this on 3 hours sleep. I need a nap
Erm.. I did mention trying not to cause a foam over right? What happened is that the powder provided a lot more nucleation sites for bubbles to form then the sides of the carboy usually would. That's the same reason beer goes flat faster in a dirty glass then it does in a clean one. That made it much easier for the dissolved co2 to come out of solution. That will happen no matter what powder you add to your fermentor.

If your sulfur smells dropped way down after a day or so, then you probably just had a really vigorous fermentation going. If you had a real nutrient deficiency issue the smell would not have dissipated that fast, or at all. No need to muck about with the copper then.

My yeast nutrient specifies 1 tsp / gallon. I've found that is adequate, in the absence of other nutrient sources, up to about 7% ABV. For higher ABV targets, I increase the nutrient additions accordingly. By absence of other nutrients, I'm talking about something like mead or sugar water solution. With something like this that includes a lot of juice, I would have probably only used 1 tsp in the whole batch.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #11046
Walter_Whites_Batch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Whites_Batch View Post
Well, I made it to around the 2500th +post on this thread, and figured everything that could have been discussed about this beverage had been said. I brewed my 1st batch on March 29th as close as I could to Ed’s recipe. I couldn’t get Montrachet yeast, the closest substitute suggested at my LHBS was Lalvin K1-V116. It worked perfectly, and is still bubbling. True to post #1, I started a 2nd batch April 7, but because all my fermenters have been used for hoppy beer, I bought a new fermenting bucket, which is different from my other 3 fermenting buckets. It is taller, and skinnier. The lid came with a small hole pre-drilled, but there was no rubber seal ring around the rim of the lid. IT was VERY hard for me to force the lid onto this bucket (test fit) and even harder for me to pull it off. I figured it must be sealing properly (dummy). I put the recipe together (same as the 1st batch, again using Lalvin K1-V116) and saw airlock movement at about 24 hours. It never took off like the earlier batch. Today I noticed the sulphur smell, and the airlock is not really moving. It must be a bad seal? I must say, it is irritating.

Both the carboy and the skinny bucket are at constant 70F

I have an empty 10 gallon demijohn. Am I ok to combine these 2 batches in it? I am going to repurpose the skinny fermenting bucket as a bottling bucket perhaps. Should I just get a better bottle (or another carboy) and transfer the 2nd batch to it? If I clean out one of my beer fermenters and can’t smell residual hop smells, could I transfer it to one of those? If the apfelwein turns out as good as I think it will, maybe I’ll just make a 3rd monster batch in the demijohn (actually, I think it is 54L, which is 14 Gallons!)

Any Canadians out there find an online seller of Montrachet that doesn’t charge $38 to ship a $0.79 package of yeast? Oh, the juice I used (as tree top is not available here) was Rougemont. 100% juice with ascorbic acid... It is on discount at Costco right now. 6x2L bottles for around $11. Sorry for the massive post, but I wanted to be thorough. Cheers.
I went ahead and racked batch #2 to my cleanest, sanitized fermenting bucket, I've never moved actively fermenting anything before, I tried to do it as calmly as possible. It was definitely a bad lid on the other pail. It is vigorously bubbling away alongside batch #1 now. I hated to do it, and I probably increased the danger of contamination. But this way, I know it is sealed properly. Now, I'm going to fill that mother demijohn.

Andrew

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #11047
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Erm.. I did mention trying not to cause a foam over right? What happened is that the powder provided a lot more nucleation sites for bubbles to form then the sides of the carboy usually would. That's the same reason beer goes flat faster in a dirty glass then it does in a clean one. That made it much easier for the dissolved co2 to come out of solution. That will happen no matter what powder you add to your fermentor.

If your sulfur smells dropped way down after a day or so, then you probably just had a really vigorous fermentation going. If you had a real nutrient deficiency issue the smell would not have dissipated that fast, or at all. No need to muck about with the copper then.

My yeast nutrient specifies 1 tsp / gallon. I've found that is adequate, in the absence of other nutrient sources, up to about 7% ABV. For higher ABV targets, I increase the nutrient additions accordingly. By absence of other nutrients, I'm talking about something like mead or sugar water solution. With something like this that includes a lot of juice, I would have probably only used 1 tsp in the whole batch.
I fully understood why this happened, but it was pretty funny when it did. Im not really worried about contamination as nothing could really make it IN there when all the foam was coming OUT.

And to be honest, I put the nutrient in there, slowly, and as the last of it went in, I barely even touched the carboy when the foaming started. Not even a swirl. Not sure how I could have avoided it. It was a learning process, as this whole thing is.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #11048
STEVESKI
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Just started my first batch of this stuff last night. I put 6 gallons into a plastic bucket. After a month or so I was planning on bottling some with priming sugar and putting the rest back in the 1 gallon apple juice containers without priming sugar so I can see whether I like it better carbonated or not. Anybody see any issues with this? I was thinking of giving it 1 month for my first batch. Then after I break it out back into the individual gallon jugs I can try to age some of them and drink the rest.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #11049
BaconManic
Recipes 

So I made 2.5 gallons of this necter from the heavens and finally ran out. Did not heed the advice to start a second right away!

So the next time I make this tasty beverage I will make 5 gallons. Question is can I use regular sugar instead of dextrose?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #11050
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post

aAAAA&AAap pp (iiiyttreww qq q a

Quick Reply