Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #11011
Goofynewfie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbigfoot View Post
OK, so, if I dont want it carboniated or keged, how do I store it?
Thanks.
Bottle it without carbonating

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Txbigfoot Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #11012
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrumin View Post
I thought so. I mean the swmbo doesn't mind cuz its a lil sweeter, but now I need to pasteurize. How long should I wait to pasteurize? I've seen some put it in a pet bottle but mine is bottled and it bein such a small batch if I kept opening em they'll all be gone by the time its carbed. If I have to, I put another gallon of apple juice right on top after I transferred so I have another batch comin and ill be able to do it right then. Should I use a small 12oz soda bottle next time? This is only my second batch. I tried the 5 day cider and didn't care for it much. The sample of this I had was AWESOME and I look forward to aging my next batch a while. Thanks!
Yup, a soda or PET brew bottle is a good indicator for your carbonation level. When the bottle is hard to the touch, pasteurize.

I can't really say how long you should wait here. Nutrient mixture left after fermentation, yeast strain, temperature, and suspended yeast in the brew when it was bottled all impact your time factor. My personal paranoia says that without any way to monitor the pressure, pasteurize immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Are you adding this at bottling or in place of the apple juice at the start?? I am wondering what to back sweeten with. O have heard Splenda or lactose or something thats not fermentable.

Also, is the ratio of sugar to carbonate the same as beer? About 4 oz dextrose for 5 gallons? Im thinking you would want it a little less carbonated.
That's more a matter of taste. I use a priming sugar calculator that has recommended volumes for cider. That recommends 2.25 volumes for cider, which I find a touch on the high side for my taste. I like it between 1.8 - 2.0 myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
Bottle it without carbonating
+1 Don't add any sugar. Just bottle it still. I've got lots of corked claret bottles like this.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #11013
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Bottled mine today...I'm at a disadvantage because my smeller is a bit stuffed at the moment but, otherwise, what should this stuff smell like? I seem to detect a little sulfury, maybe slightly yeasty smell. Used Montrachet, followed the recipe exactly other than ratioed for a 3-gal batch.

My taster is a bit screwed up too, considering the smeller is, but I can tell it's dry and a little tart. Not getting much else at the moment.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #11014
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Bottled mine today...I'm at a disadvantage because my smeller is a bit stuffed at the moment but, otherwise, what should this stuff smell like? I seem to detect a little sulfury, maybe slightly yeasty smell. Used Montrachet, followed the recipe exactly other than ratioed for a 3-gal batch.

My taster is a bit screwed up too, considering the smeller is, but I can tell it's dry and a little tart. Not getting much else at the moment.
How long did you age it for? With time, you get more of an apple-y taste

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #11015
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I started it 1/27 and left it in the primary until today, when I bottled it still.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 04-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #11016
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Wow. I havnt read too much about how ad the sulphur smell is with the fermentation but JEEZ!! It's crazy strong. Fermenting away at about 65 degrees and our house reeks of sulphur. I just put my Carboy in our spare bedroom with open windows and shut the door. I'm assuming this is normal right???

Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #11017
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Wow. I havnt read too much about how ad the sulphur smell is with the fermentation but JEEZ!! It's crazy strong. Fermenting away at about 65 degrees and our house reeks of sulphur. I just put my Carboy in our spare bedroom with open windows and shut the door. I'm assuming this is normal right???
Uh, no. Some smell is. That, probably not so much. If you have some, add some yeast nutrient. Then stick something copper in the fermentor and shake the daylights out of it. Pennies from 1983 or earlier are copper. You want the h2s gas to come out. The copper oxide should bind some of the existing sulfur into something that will drop out of solution. Try not to cause a foam over.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #11018
Txbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a question. I am in week 3 now and i still see small bubbles. If I test the ABV and its low, can I add dextrose? Or should I leave it alone and chaulk it up. I followed the original page one recipe but used sucrose being a newbie... oh what i have learned. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #11019
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbigfoot View Post
I have a question. I am in week 3 now and i still see small bubbles. If I test the ABV and its low, can I add dextrose? Or should I leave it alone and chaulk it up. I followed the original page one recipe but used sucrose being a newbie... oh what i have learned. Thanks.
What do you mean when you test the ABV? Did you take a gravity reading after you mixed all your ingredients together?

An alcoholometer won't work correctly on a non-distilled liquid. The presence of the dissolved non-fermentables will give you an inaccurately low ABV measurement.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #11020
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
Pennies from 1983 or earlier are copper.
Almost. I think the changeover was mid 1982. They all contain zinc, nickel, etc back into the 1800s.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...ion=fun_facts2

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply