Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #11001
BamaProud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64 View Post
When I started my carboy was topped up fine. Is it usually to lose volume like that? Should I top up? It's been fermenting for like 5-6 days.
Hmmmm My batch has about 2-3 inches more headspace than yours. Its been in the fermenter for 10 days or so. Should i top it off or will the Co2 layer be enough to protect it from oxidizing?
Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #11002
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just finished a batch. It was in the 1g glass jug for a month. Not thinking I put a can of frozen apple juice in the bottling bucket...the whole can. Am I gonna have bombs? Should I wait a day or two then use the stove top pasteurize method? Thanks for the help...what would I do without HBT?!?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #11003
BamaProud
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrumin View Post
Just finished a batch. It was in the 1g glass jug for a month. Not thinking I put a can of frozen apple juice in the bottling bucket...the whole can. Am I gonna have bombs? Should I wait a day or two then use the stove top pasteurize method? Thanks for the help...what would I do without HBT?!?
Yes I think you might have a problem there. Sorry, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can help you fix things.
Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #11004
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaProud View Post
Hmmmm My batch has about 2-3 inches more headspace than yours. Its been in the fermenter for 10 days or so. Should i top it off or will the Co2 layer be enough to protect it from oxidizing?
It will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrumin View Post
You are definitely going to want to pasteurize. The priming sugar calculator I like indicates that about 0.8 oz of sugar would be right for 1 gallon of cider. A can of frozen apple juice concentrate usually has about 25 gravity points. 1 lb of sugar has 46. So you added roughly 4 oz of table sugar equivalent. That's pretty rough estimation, but your still at 3-4 times more fermentables then you would want to carbonate.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #11005
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
[B]
I kegged my first batch of apfelwein today - 5 gallons that I started right after Christmas. It hit FG1.000 according to my hydrometer. I've drank two flat pints of it already & yeah this warning is right on the money.

My wife's not a beer drinker, she likes fizzy girly drinks and her social group regularly have "Moms nights in". I'm looking forward to it carbing so my wife & her friends can drink it.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #11006
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post

You are definitely going to want to pasteurize. The priming sugar calculator I like indicates that about 0.8 oz of sugar would be right for 1 gallon of cider. A can of frozen apple juice concentrate usually has about 25 gravity points. 1 lb of sugar has 46. So you added roughly 4 oz of table sugar equivalent. That's pretty rough estimation, but your still at 3-4 times more fermentables then you would want to carbonate.
I thought so. I mean the swmbo doesn't mind cuz its a lil sweeter, but now I need to pasteurize. How long should I wait to pasteurize? I've seen some put it in a pet bottle but mine is bottled and it bein such a small batch if I kept opening em they'll all be gone by the time its carbed. If I have to, I put another gallon of apple juice right on top after I transferred so I have another batch comin and ill be able to do it right then. Should I use a small 12oz soda bottle next time? This is only my second batch. I tried the 5 day cider and didn't care for it much. The sample of this I had was AWESOME and I look forward to aging my next batch a while. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #11007
IsildursHeir
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just made my first batch. I used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet, Indian Summer Apple Juice, and 2lb Dextrose. O.G. is 1.066, so pretty much on target. I'll probably backsweeten half of it for SWMBO, can't wait to try it!

Secondary: None right now

Bottled:
Pecan Pie Porter
TheWeeb's Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale
Irish Coffee Stout
Ambrosia Farm Spice Short Mead (With Buckwheat Honey)
Ambrosia Farm Peppermint Short Mead
Revvy's Ginger Snap Brown Ale (Christmasified)

Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #11008
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
+1
Frozen apple juice concentrate rocks!
Are you adding this at bottling or in place of the apple juice at the start?? I am wondering what to back sweeten with. O have heard Splenda or lactose or something thats not fermentable.

Also, is the ratio of sugar to carbonate the same as beer? About 4 oz dextrose for 5 gallons? Im thinking you would want it a little less carbonated.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #11009
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925

Are you adding this at bottling or in place of the apple juice at the start?? I am wondering what to back sweeten with. O have heard Splenda or lactose or something thats not fermentable.

Also, is the ratio of sugar to carbonate the same as beer? About 4 oz dextrose for 5 gallons? Im thinking you would want it a little less carbonated.
It's been a while so I'm not positive what that reply was to but I believe he was using it for priming. You can use it to back sweeten also. If you use it to backsweeten, just add enough to both sweeten and prime. When you bottle, use a plastic soda bottle for one of them. When that bottle gets hard, pasteurize all your glass bottles.

If you don't want to bother with pasteurization (it can be intimidating) you can sweeten with Splenda, lactose, or stevia.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #11010
Txbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OK, so, if I dont want it carboniated or keged, how do I store it?
Thanks.

Quick Reply