Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #10871
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I know citric acid can really wreak havoc on yeast but give it a shot by all means.

You might want to check out the skeeter pee thread for ideas on how to get citrus to ferment though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #10872
STJonesin4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme
I know citric acid can really wreak havoc on yeast but give it a shot by all means.

You might want to check out the skeeter pee thread for ideas on how to get citrus to ferment though.
Skeeter pee. I'm on it.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #10873
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJonesin4 View Post
I'm getting ready to make a batch of this with the original recipe. Has anybody done this with grapefruit juice? SWMBO loves grapefruit crushes. Just thinking it may be a "win" for me to make a grapefruit concoction. Thinking of getting a one gallon jug and experimenting. Any thoughts?
I did something kinda similar with pink grapefruit.

This is from my notes:
5 cans great value pink grapefruit juice 46oz.
5 bottles grapefruit perrier 750ml.
5.74 lbs sugar.
3.5 tsp yeast nutrient.
3.5 tsp yeast energizer.
1.75 tsp pectin enzyme.
20 oz bottle of harvested distillers yeast.

OG: 1.1
FG: 0.99
ABV: 14.7%

I thinks this was a 3.5 gallon batch. It's been a while. It really needed sweetening before it went in the bottle, which I didn't do. I usually add a little simple syrup to the glass before I drink it. It's still very sour otherwise.

When this was young it was absolutely horrible. It took about 4 months in the bottle before it was good. Though it is now very good indeed. Much more complex and smoother then I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

That's a good idea. A lot of the fruit bases for the skeeter pee recipes are really acidic.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #10874
STJonesin4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I did something kinda similar with pink grapefruit.

This is from my notes:
5 cans great value pink grapefruit juice 46oz.
5 bottles grapefruit perrier 750ml.
5.74 lbs sugar.
3.5 tsp yeast nutrient.
3.5 tsp yeast energizer.
1.75 tsp pectin enzyme.
20 oz bottle of harvested distillers yeast.

OG: 1.1
FG: 0.99
ABV: 14.7%

I thinks this was a 3.5 gallon batch. It's been a while. It really needed sweetening before it went in the bottle, which I didn't do. I usually add a little simple syrup to the glass before I drink it. It's still very sour otherwise.

When this was young it was absolutely horrible. It took about 4 months in the bottle before it was good. Though it is now very good indeed. Much more complex and smoother then I expected.

That's a good idea. A lot of the fruit bases for the skeeter pee recipes are really acidic.
Thanks for the info. I want to give something a try - possibly a 1 gallon batch. Sorry for the off-topic. It was sorta "on-topic".

Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #10875
freemanmh
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a batch that I started on 7/25/2012 using EC1118. This was a set it and forget it batch - it was in primary the entire time and never got racked to secondary. I decided this past Saturday (3/2) that it was time to package. Kegged it and dropped it in my keezer. It finished at 1.001 and the sample was incredibly clear, not to mention ludicrously good. It is so much better than the first batch I made which was bottles after a month (though that was quite tasty as well).

Luckily, I had the foresight to start another batch about a month after this one do I can refill the keg when it kicks. Heed the advice early in this thread - keep a batch going, you won't be sorry.

Bottled: BM's Centennial Blonde, NB Milk Chocolate Stout, NB Shining Star Pale Ale, Bass clone, MO/EKG SMaSH

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #10876
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

This thread is killing me. I started a gallon of apfelwein last week with the sugar substituted with honey. I haven't even tasted it yet, but this thread is making me consider buying another 5 gallon primary and loading it up with apfelwein and just ditching it in my equipment room for 6-9 months, just in case it is awesome.

I'm not a fan of commercial ciders because they are all too sweet, but a dry apfelwein sounds really good. I think with using honey this will be super dry. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #10877
devianttouch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
This thread is killing me. I started a gallon of apfelwein last week with the sugar substituted with honey. I haven't even tasted it yet, but this thread is making me consider buying another 5 gallon primary and loading it up with apfelwein and just ditching it in my equipment room for 6-9 months, just in case it is awesome.
One thing to be aware of about this: since what you have just made is more like a cyser (apple mead) than an apfelwein (apple mead) it may take longer to ferment and it WILL require more ageing. Patience will pay off though!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #10878
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devianttouch View Post
One thing to be aware of about this: since what you have just made is more like a cyser (apple mead) than an apfelwein (apple mead) it may take longer to ferment and it WILL require more ageing. Patience will pay off though!
It would figure that I'd make something a) that I never heard of before, and b) will require more patience on my part.

EdWort's original recipe uses 5 gallons apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar. My scaled recipe with honey was 101 oz (about 0.8 gallons) of juice, and about 3/4 cup of honey, with Montrachet yeast. Is this going to require any other special handing as a cyser, other than longer aging? What would be an appropriate temperature range to age this?

If possible, after fermentation is good and done, can I cap the carboy and safely hide it someplace out of sight for a few seasons? It's on top of my fridge now and is going to be too much temptation if I have to sit and watch it age.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #10879
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
It would figure that I'd make something a) that I never heard of before, and b) will require more patience on my part.

EdWort's original recipe uses 5 gallons apple juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar. My scaled recipe with honey was 101 oz (about 0.8 gallons) of juice, and about 3/4 cup of honey, with Montrachet yeast. Is this going to require any other special handing as a cyser, other than longer aging? What would be an appropriate temperature range to age this?

If possible, after fermentation is good and done, can I cap the carboy and safely hide it someplace out of sight for a few seasons? It's on top of my fridge now and is going to be too much temptation if I have to sit and watch it age.
Hmm, I don't think using honey instead of sugar is going to really take much longer. I've done mead to FG in 14 days. You can, you just need to use twice the normal amount of nutrients as the directions for must say.

I kinda doubt you are going to have to bad of a nutrient shortage issue given what the apple juice is bringing to the party. I've made similar stuff with table sugar, and it was fine. Took just over two weeks to hit FG. Table sugar is pretty much pure fermentable, no nutrients to speak of.

Once it's good and done, yeah sure. Cap it and stash it somewhere it won't tempt you.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #10880
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

That's what I hear from the cider forums as well - not really enough honey to really mess with ferment times or aging. As for nutrients, there is a whole packet of Montrachet in there for just one gallon, plus with whatever is in the juice, so there is a lot of stuff in there to chew on.

I'll leave it on airlock until it drops out clear, then I'll cap it and try to forget it someplace that I'll be sure to stumble upon in a few months.

Is using a HDPE bucket for long-term aging of this stuff a good idea or no? I've heard that oxygen diffusion can be a problem. The 1-gallon is a glass jug, but if I wanted to do 5 gallons of this I'd have to get another bucket or carboy.

Quick Reply