Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #10851
HessenHelles
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 320

1 gallon batch after 5 days, and fermenting Strong!!!

forumrunner_20130228_221126.png

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #10852
Oklahomamike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I got a batch of this going last week. I went cheap and did it this way (Click Here)just up scaled it to 4 gallons using 10 cups of sugar and two packs of the three pack strip of yeast.

We'll see how it goes, but it was bubbling like crazy about 8hrs in and is still going strong.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #10853
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

This weekend I started my first 3 gallon batch in a better bottle. The airlock is making mouse noises

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #10854
mastamind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey guys it's currently 1:07pm here in Ohio and I'm buzzing off EdWort's Apfelwein! My second batch I decided to jugg it up today. I decided since I am still newish to homebrewing that I would just let it go for how ever long i felt. Well I started this batch in april of 2012. I just now jugged it up so it has been in the primary fermenter for 11 months or so on the yeast cake. It tastes amazing! I was a bit worried aboit it sitting on the cake but said wtf let's give it a go. It's in bottles and juggs now to age untill the summer or long but just wanted to say 11 months on the yeast cake was fine for me. I seen ppl say 6 months or longer so yeah.
Cheers

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #10855
mdpickle
Recipes 

Hi All, Im posting from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
I am pretty much brand new to brewing. Just a few baisc beer and wine kits but looking to experiment now that i'm into it. I have stumbled across this recipe and it looks fantastic. What I would like to do is to make something that is a medium-dry finish, and I plan on carbonating it to make it more of a cider. I have read many pages and there seems to be a wide variety of ways to do this so I have some questions for those who are the veterans of brewing this product.

1. Judging from the posts, the montrachet brews very dry. I am looking for a medium to dry finish that still packs the high ABV. Any suggestions?
2. I'm seeing that aging is key to a really great product. Would it be better to let it age in a carboy or in bottles?
3. Has anyone messed around with pressing their own juice from fresh apples? Ive seen in some posts that this might not give you as much ABV. Any way to boost this up?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #10856
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Just whipped up a 1g batch!

I'm so excited!! I've been reading this thread for quite some time and finally decided to go and get a gallon jug and give it a whirl. The guy at the LHBS recommended Windsor Dry Yeast. I used regular old Motts apple juice, added 1 1/8 cup of sugar per recipe (except I let it dissolve with some apple juice in a small pan), rehydrated the yeast and pitched!! I filled the airlock with some moonshine instead of vodka ; ) Which I bought legally!! OG was about 1.070 so I'm hopin to get around 8% or maybe even 9% out of it?? I plan to add some concentrate after it's all done with fermentation, then a bit more aging. Idk. It's my first time makin cider so I will def be experimenting a bit with the 1g batches till I come up with one the SWMBO and I like. She likes it VERY sweet!! Lol. So I'm not entirely sure she would like EdWort's original recipe.

s1000001.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #10857
thiessenace
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could always do a nottingham yeast packet. Attenuate down to 1.010 or so or use posttasium sorbate to stop at a certain gravity.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #10858
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpickle View Post
Hi All, Im posting from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
I am pretty much brand new to brewing. Just a few baisc beer and wine kits but looking to experiment now that i'm into it. I have stumbled across this recipe and it looks fantastic. What I would like to do is to make something that is a medium-dry finish, and I plan on carbonating it to make it more of a cider. I have read many pages and there seems to be a wide variety of ways to do this so I have some questions for those who are the veterans of brewing this product.

1. Judging from the posts, the montrachet brews very dry. I am looking for a medium to dry finish that still packs the high ABV. Any suggestions?
2. I'm seeing that aging is key to a really great product. Would it be better to let it age in a carboy or in bottles?
3. Has anyone messed around with pressing their own juice from fresh apples? Ive seen in some posts that this might not give you as much ABV. Any way to boost this up?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks
1. Yes. Ferment it dry, then sweeten to taste just before bottling. Keep some in a plastic bottle of about the same volume as the glass bottles. When the plastic bottle is hard, pasteurize the glass bottles in a pot on your stove. The amount of sugar you lose to co2 is actually very small, so you don't need to compensate for the lost sugar in your sweetening.

The presence of potassium sorbate does not necessarily prevent fermentation, it's effectiveness depends on the PH of the liquid and a couple other things. It also does not kill yeast, it blocks yeast reproduction. Pasteurization will definitely halt the fermentation,as it kills the yeast outright.

2. Aging in bulk is preferable, but IMO frequently over emphasized.
3. No, but if you want to bump the finished ABV you can up the gravity with just regular table sugar. Remember though, the higher the gravity the longer you are going to want to age the final product. If you add a lot of sugar, you also can run into more serious nutrient shortfalls. So, a tsp or so of yeast nutrient per gallon would be a good idea. You could also up the gravity with apple juice concentrate.

If you are going to press your own apples and want a clear finished product, make sure you use pectin enzyme. Otherwise the pectin will suspend particles in the brew and make it cloudy. They also need to be cold pressed apples, hot pressing apples sometimes sets the pectin and will give you something vaguely resembling apple jelly.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #10859
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

should I add bottling yeast to this? Usually I only do that for anything over 10%abv

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #10860
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Man I got the same q but wasn't gonna ask the whole Internet about it but sure gonna listen to answers to your q

Quick Reply