Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10711
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Once they start fermenting you'll notice them in suspension and the juice will be cloudy. Give them a day or two
to start working

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #10712
wburns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Perfect. Thank you!

Carboy #1 - Edwort's Apfelwein
Carboy #2 - Edwort's with a twist
Currently bottled - blackberry and strawberry

Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #10713
Big_Blue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Searched this thread, but cannot seem to find the answers to this crazy series of questions I have:

I used WLP775 English Cider Yeast for my run on this. It's still waiting, and it's going to be another few weeks, but I wanted to know if it would be better to a) pitch right on top of the remaining cake, or b) try to wash the little guys? If b), then should I make the starter with DME as usual, or can one fashion a starter with more apple juice? If so, how?

Bucket 1: Base Blonde #1
Bucket 2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Keg 1: Bugbear Ale
Keg 2: waiting

Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #10714
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
Searched this thread, but cannot seem to find the answers to this crazy series of questions I have:

I used WLP775 English Cider Yeast for my run on this. It's still waiting, and it's going to be another few weeks, but I wanted to know if it would be better to a) pitch right on top of the remaining cake, or b) try to wash the little guys? If b), then should I make the starter with DME as usual, or can one fashion a starter with more apple juice? If so, how?
Pitching on top of the yeast cake should be fine. One of the main reasons to wash the yeast is to remove trub that might have a conflicting flavor with your next batch. As long as you don't have a really skunky ferment, that shouldn't really be an issue with successive batches of the same thing. I wouldn't do that more then once though. The likelihood of contamination would be higher then I would be comfortable with after that.

Fermenting on the yeast cake does raise the odds of autolysis in the batch, but it's doubtful you will end up with anything like that with 2 successive batches.

If you want to make a starter, just use the same juice you are planning for the batch. If you want you can dilute it to your typical starter gravity, then pitch your yeast into that liquid. Typically, apple juice has a gravity of about 1.050. Put the juice remaining from what you used as a starter in the fridge, or it can go off after the couple of days you need for your starter.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #10715
Big_Blue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, pitching on the yeast cake... kinda worries me, which is why I'd rather rinse it. So, if I have this right, I could just dilute the juice I'm going to use down to 1.040 and use that as a typical starter.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #10716
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
Yeah, pitching on the yeast cake... kinda worries me, which is why I'd rather rinse it. So, if I have this right, I could just dilute the juice I'm going to use down to 1.040 and use that as a typical starter.
Yup. It isn't even critical to dilute it. 1.050 isn't that high. The idea is to give the yeast in the starter pretty much the same sugar balance as what's in the batch. That way they are all setup for them when they hit your brew. I do discount the sugar added to the mix here as sucrose is so easy for the yeast to process it doesn't require anything special on their part.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #10717
Big_Blue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Swell. As usual, I kept thinking things must be more complicated than they actually are. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #10718
jab007
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonation

Hey, I bottled and added dextrose to my batch exactly three (3) weeks ago. Three gallons total made from Apple Cider, it came out great it was my second batch put the first time I've tried carbonating. My question is - normally how long does it take to carbonate. Carbonated only two (2) gallons added exactly 7 teaspoons of dextrose. No bottles have exploited, just wondering if it is ready???

CORRECTION: I added 7 Tablespoons of dextrose vice 7 teaspoons. This was base on the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of dextrose to five (5) gallons for carbonation. Simple math: 4 tbsp per 1/4 cup times 3 equals 12 tablespoons per 5 gals of drink. Divided 12 by 4 equals 2.4 tablespoons per gal. 2.4 times 3 equals 7.2 tablespoon for 3 gallons. 3/4 = 3 (4) = 12 / 5 (3) = 7.2.

Reason: Correction to AMOUNT OF DEXTROSE

Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #10719
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab007 View Post
Hey, I bottled and added dextrose to my batch exactly three (3) weeks ago. Three gallons total made from Apple Cider, it came out great it was my second batch put the first time I've tried carbonating. My question is - normally how long does it take to carbonate. Carbonated only two (2) gallons added exactly 7 teaspoons of dextrose. No bottles have exploited, just wondering if it is ready???
Crack one open and give it a try...

I am very curious to see if your 7 teaspoons is enough for 2 gallons. I am about to carbonate just 1 gallon and maybe I can figure out how much I will need depending on results like yours...

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #10720
jab007
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
Crack one open and give it a try...

I am very curious to see if your 7 teaspoons is enough for 2 gallons. I am about to carbonate just 1 gallon and maybe I can figure out how much I will need depending on results like yours...
Correction to my post I added 7 tablespoons of dextrose vice 7 teaspoons. See the edit to my original post above.

Anyway, I will pop one open tonight then give some feedback either tonight or tomorrow.

Quick Reply