The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #10701
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Three is a good minimum. More then six would be very nice.

Four weeks is plenty of time for your brew to have finished fermenting and cleanup. Bulk aging is usually preferable as it produces a more consistent product then bottle aging.

I prefer mine lightly carbed. That is entirely a matter of taste though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #10702
DaveVanO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Three is a good minimum. More then six would be very nice.

Four weeks is plenty of time for your brew to have finished fermenting and cleanup. Bulk aging is usually preferable as it produces a more consistent product then bottle aging.

I prefer mine lightly carbed. That is entirely a matter of taste though.
Thanks for the answer, I plan to let them go for a little bit longer. Let 1g of the from concentrate stay still and bulk age. the other 1.5g carb, bottle, pasteurize.
I did the two batches mainly to see the difference in taste between from concentrate and not from concentrate apple juice.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #10703
natedoggaz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
If you are going to backsweeten anyway, I wouldn't bother with the sugar alternatives. Sweeten the batch to taste, bottle. When your plastic tester bottle has the kind of pressure you are wanting, pasteurize the bottles.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

The amount of sugar you are going to want for priming is going to be far far lower then what you are likely to want for sweetening. The little that is consumed for carbonation is pretty insignificant to flavor. If you prefer though, you can use a priming sugar calculator. Here is the one I like. It has suggested volumes for different styles.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Thanks Leadgolem,

According to that calculator - for "standard cider" it calls for .8oz of priming sugar for a 1 gallon batch, which really isn't much. Hopefully it will be enough. I have read that others use a wine conditioner, I might just try a little sweetner on this expermental batch.

Also, the cider is in the stage now where it is pretty clear, and there is a layer of sediment on the bottom of the jug. Am I to rack this into a bucket for bottling and NOT get that sediment into the bottles?

ND

6 gallon primary 2/19 - English Pale Ale 1.045 OG
1 gallon jug: Grape juice wine (peaches added)
Bottled 1/25 - American Honey Porter FG=1.015 5.9%
Bottled 2/6 - 1 gallon EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled 2/11: Sonofgrok's Sake recipe 3x16oz bottles blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry
Future: Skeeter Pee (its lemon season in AZ, already juiced over 36 fresh lemons!)

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #10704
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggaz View Post
Thanks Leadgolem,

According to that calculator - for "standard cider" it calls for .8oz of priming sugar for a 1 gallon batch, which really isn't much. Hopefully it will be enough. I have read that others use a wine conditioner, I might just try a little sweetner on this expermental batch.

Also, the cider is in the stage now where it is pretty clear, and there is a layer of sediment on the bottom of the jug. Am I to rack this into a bucket for bottling and NOT get that sediment into the bottles?

ND
Generally, yes. It will settle out while it's in the bottle and end up in the bottom. If you end up with some, it's really not a big deal. I just prefer to minimize trub in the bottles as it is kinda ugly.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #10705
WilliamBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I changed things up for my second batch.

The 'problem' was that it took 10 weeks to ferment to 1.000.

The differences from the first were: one quart of 100% cranberry juice (Knudsens), Pasteur Red yeast and periods of fermenting temps in the 59-61 range (mostly 62-64).

I assume the cranberry was not the culprit. I do not know if the Pasteur Red is a slower fermenter to Montrachet. I am guessing the slow ferment was the temps.

I really love this batch, but want to make another quicker so I can apple jack while winter cooperates. Any thoughts or experiences?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #10706
lakeslad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This may also help, another good calculator of all sorts for brewing

http://brewblogger.net/index.php?pag...&section=sugar

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God''s waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #10707
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I made a batch mid-November, and bottled into 12s and 22s last weekend. I added a single Coopers carb drop to each 12 and two to each 22. Any idea how long it will take to carb?

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #10708
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBrewster View Post
I changed things up for my second batch.

The 'problem' was that it took 10 weeks to ferment to 1.000.

The differences from the first were: one quart of 100% cranberry juice (Knudsens), Pasteur Red yeast and periods of fermenting temps in the 59-61 range (mostly 62-64).

I assume the cranberry was not the culprit. I do not know if the Pasteur Red is a slower fermenter to Montrachet. I am guessing the slow ferment was the temps.

I really love this batch, but want to make another quicker so I can apple jack while winter cooperates. Any thoughts or experiences?
You could try a more aggressive yeast. That will mean more krausen, so make sure you have the headspace. Pasteur champagne, or even distillers for a super high abv batch.

The other thing is the temp. Bring it up to 70 or so, and your fermentation will be much faster. I wouldn't go to much over that unless you want to condition for a long time though.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #10709
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy View Post
I made a batch mid-November, and bottled into 12s and 22s last weekend. I added a single Coopers carb drop to each 12 and two to each 22. Any idea how long it will take to carb?
Lots of factors involved, so it's hard to say. You probably have very low yeast content in the bottles. After that it's mostly a matter of temperature. With relatively high yeast contents and temps around 75-85f, 48 hours is usually enough. I've also seen batches take 4-5 weeks at temps in the mid 50's and low yeast populations.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #10710
wburns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok. My first batch is in my carboy right now. Is it normal for the yeast to settle to the bottom immediately??

Carboy #1 - Edwort's Apfelwein
Carboy #2 - Edwort's with a twist
Currently bottled - blackberry and strawberry

Quick Reply