Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #10651
Krios
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I do have a bag of powdered pectinase but I'm going to wait and see if it clears naturally first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #10652
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I read it on a distillers forum, and noticed some side effects of it from the batch I made when I used to much sugar. It could have been the sugar not really sure, but it was a lot warmer and the hang overs where really bad from only two or three glasses lol. Methanol is the cause of a lot of that. (Methanol might not be a fusel, but it's not the type of alcohol you want to drink!)

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #10653
smegger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefferd View Post
I read it on a distillers forum, and noticed some side effects of it from the batch I made when I used to much sugar. It could have been the sugar not really sure, but it was a lot warmer and the hang overs where really bad from only two or three glasses lol. Methanol is the cause of a lot of that. (Methanol might not be a fusel, but it's not the type of alcohol you want to drink!)
I'd say its more likely to do with too much sugar. If the yeast gets stressed out, that's often when it produces undesirable effects. Too much sugar could have allowed the yeast to produce more alcohol more quickly than it would have preferred.

We don't talk about distilling here, but it is a pretty different situation. They seem to prefer high alcohol high speed fermentation and let their distillation processes clean it up later.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #10654
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You are probably right, I keep my house in the 70s also so I am sure that does not help much either.

The batch is coming around but it still makes me mean and makes your head feel like some one kicked a field goal with it lol.

My current batch now is great at around 2 months. I have another batch in the fermenter I used corn, and dark brown sugar along with 64 ozS of cherry/cranberry juice. Yeast started out as ale yeast but wasn't working fast enough and I got impatient and pitched in some Montrachet so we will see how it comes out lol

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #10655
Krios
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger View Post
I'd say its more likely to do with too much sugar. If the yeast gets stressed out, that's often when it produces undesirable effects. Too much sugar could have allowed the yeast to produce more alcohol more quickly than it would have preferred.

We don't talk about distilling here, but it is a pretty different situation. They seem to prefer high alcohol high speed fermentation and let their distillation processes clean it up later.
This is why I'm using EC-1118 for my high OG experiments. It's known to ferment clean, it tolerates acid and up to 18% alcohol, so 13-15% isn't that much. If it turns out not too bad, I might a do a step feeding experiment where I feed it a can of concentrate every few days.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #10656
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Still fermenting like the Energ Bunny

After two weeks, the airlock is still bubbling. Smells awesome. Ferm'ing in the low 60s, so I thought it might go a little slow. Can't wait to try.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #10657
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
After two weeks, the airlock is still bubbling. Smells awesome. Ferm'ing in the low 60s, so I thought it might go a little slow. Can't wait to try.
This time of year, my basement is a constant 62'. I brew a batch of this every year right around Christmas. Give it at least a month before you try it. Just pour it back into the same juice containers you bought it in and store it away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #10658
stilly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs_casey

This time of year, my basement is a constant 62'. I brew a batch of this every year right around Christmas. Give it at least a month before you try it. Just pour it back into the same juice containers you bought it in and store it away!
Wow, really, same containers? That would make it even easier! Are you using priming sugar before bottling, or are you going straight from fermenter to bottles?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #10659
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs_casey

How long do you store/ age in plastic containers? Does seem like the best of ideas to me...

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #10660
finny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I guess I'll finally join this thread. I read through the first 3500 or so posts before I decided it was time to give it a try.

I put a 6 gallon batch together on 1/4 using the walmart brand apple juice, 2lbs or so of dextrose and the montrachet yeast and yeast nutrient. OG gravity game in around 1.055 so I'm guessing it should be around 7%. Well I took a gravity reading lastnight and it was right at the 0.999 so I'm guessing we're done. Threw the sample in the freezer for a little to chill it down and sampled...tasty for only being at 3 weeks! Was tempted to pull off some more but I held off, I can already see reasons to pull of a gallon or so here and there.

Luckily I did follow the directions and picked up a 5g food safe bucket from Lowes to throw another batch together a few days ago. Did this one with 4 gallons apple juice and a half gallon berry blend juice and 2lbs dextrose. So there's more on it's way!

Thanks to EdWort for the recipe and everyone's input in this thread! This will be

Quick Reply