Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #10631
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

You used a different yeast than the majority of the people in this thread. That could certainly account for the difference in flatulence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #10632
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Ah! 3 days in WITH yeast nutrient added at day one and it just got the Rhino Farts!!

Edit: It's only 2 days! I thought with the nutrient I was going to get around the farts. Maybe some enigizer also next time?

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #10633
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
Ah! 3 days in WITH yeast nutrient added at day one and it just got the Rhino Farts!!

Edit: It's only 2 days! I thought with the nutrient I was going to get around the farts. Maybe some enigizer also next time?
Which yeast, and which yeast nutrient? Did you skimp on the nutrient? Adding a generous amount of nutrient seriously eliminated the yeast farts for me.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #10634
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcephus View Post
I read in here already that since we are not using hops we do not have to worry about sunlight and skunky flavors.
I have heard this claim too but I am extremely skeptical of it. I assume that it's based not on science, but rather the "logical" conclusion that since UV is notoriously bad for beer because it causes hops to go skunky, and cider does not contain hops, therefore UV is not a problem. Because skunky hops are a very dramatic result of UV exposure, it seems highly likely that people arrived at this conclusion and disseminated it among others online, making it common "knowledge".

So why am I so skeptical? Because long-term exposure to ultraviolet radiation - and really any kind of ionizing radiation - can hardly be expected to be a good thing. Which is understandable, as knocking electrons out of cells is a pretty big effect. Because of this, the fact that it seems highly likely that people just make the erroneous connection that lack of hops means no skunking means UV is not a problem, and that not a single shred of scientific evidence ever seems to be provided to back up the claim, I am still going to keep my cider and wine out of unnecessary sunlight and recommend that others do the same. I'm not saying that it causes problems in unhopped products NEARLY as fast or dramatically as problems develop in (hopped) beer (a few hours or even days is probably not going to produce any detectable difference), but that also doesn't mean that ionizing radiation is somehow entirely okay.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #10635
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay

Which yeast, and which yeast nutrient? Did you skimp on the nutrient? Adding a generous amount of nutrient seriously eliminated the yeast farts for me.
I used wyeast beer nutrient. I know it's for "beer" but was told on this thread that all yeast like the same nutrient. I also used the amount listed on the bottle, I think 1/2 tsp for the 5 gallon batch? Not enough? Not the right type of nutrient?

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #10636
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

That amount is probably low. The instructions are for beer. Beer wort provides its own nutrients. Apple juice + sugar doesn't. So this would require more than the beer dosage.

It doesn't matter in the end probably. They'll turn your sugar to alcohol in good time.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #10637
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The correct amount is 1/4tsp per gallon

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Vienna SMASH with Saaz
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen

On Deck - Country Saison

Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #10638
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak
That amount is probably low. The instructions are for beer. Beer wort provides its own nutrients. Apple juice + sugar doesn't. So this would require more than the beer dosage.

It doesn't matter in the end probably. They'll turn your sugar to alcohol in good time.
Well, that's what happens when you just follow directions and don't think critically about it. Oops. Well,next time...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #10639
freemanmh
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I pitched EC1118 into a batch on 7/28. It's going into a keg this weekend. I haven't read through the whole thread to verify, but I'm assuming I can just set it to the same pressure I use to serve my ales (10-12) and let it sit until carbed. Hard to believe I let it sit this long, but it helped having plenty of other things in the pipeline to keep my palate occupied.

Bottled: BM's Centennial Blonde, NB Milk Chocolate Stout, NB Shining Star Pale Ale, Bass clone, MO/EKG SMaSH

Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #10640
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
I used wyeast beer nutrient. I know it's for "beer" but was told on this thread that all yeast like the same nutrient. I also used the amount listed on the bottle, I think 1/2 tsp for the 5 gallon batch? Not enough? Not the right type of nutrient?
Wow, I didn't realize the instructions vary so much. The instructions on my yeast nutrient specify 1 tsp/gallon. That would be 10x what you added. Then again, I've found that using that much I can easily ferment sugar water solution to about 7%... I'm using a 1lb package of ld carlson nutrient. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064H0MWY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Quick Reply