Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #10591
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 959 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Both are fine, cider generally gives you a better flavor. Though it is a little harder to clear then juice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #10592
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanO
just made my first 2 1/2 gallon batch. using exactly what he said. lets see how it turns out!!

Just a question..should I have used apple cider? Or is 100% apple juice (with no preservatives) ok?
Although it is from concentrate^

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Apfelwein - Fermenting

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

What’s the difference between apple juice and cider?
Cider is made by pressing apples. Juice is then filtered to remove all of the stuff that makes it cloudy.

Can I use apple cider instead?
Sure! You can use whatever you want. However, there is not enough information in this thread to give you any better details as to how it will turn out. I recommend starting a new thread or ask more experienced cider-makers.

What kind of Apple Juice should I use?
Ideally, you want to use 100% natural apple juice with no preservatives. The only acceptable preservative is ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation. Pasteurized juice is preferred, since it will have less bacteria.

How much will this recipe cost me?
5 gallons of Apfelwein can be made for between 20 and 25 dollars.
!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #10593
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Made my third batch today. I seem to add cinnamon to every batch.

First batch has about 25 of 58 bottles left and is over 4 months since I made it.
Second batch is bulk aging at 4 months and had 1 gallon of cherry juice.
Third batch is 5 gallons treetop apple juice, 1 gallon of treetop cider (only had 5 one gallon juices), 4 teaspoons Fermax, and 2 lbs 6 0z of sugar with Montrachet yeast.

I boiled 3.5 cinnamon sticks, 10 oz of sugar and a clove for 15 minutes in apple juice also to add to the flavor.

I will probably also boil a cinnamon stick with the 5 oz sugar when carbonating it also like I did my first batch.

Everyone likes this stuff, but most people haven't had too many yet, still building up an inventory. I prefer to bulk age over bottle age since they go quickly and make great gifts.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #10594
Wings13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

After trolling the post for the last week, I finally decided to do my first batch. Talk about easy, and all for under $20!

Thanks Ed!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #10595
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My 2nd batch of this has already been in primary for 2 months. I bottles first batch at 3 months and it was awesome. Didn't even last 3 weeks and only gave away a couple. I did let 1/2 a glass sit out after drinking for a while for a couple days and tasted it, so I know how the turning to vinegar tastes and I can it was quite distinct. I only did it because I was paranoid at first batch while bottling. So set your fears aside, it's hard to screw up.

I love it, thanks man for sharing! Adding a hint of cinnamon while bottling still.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #10596
dougen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

heres mine with 3lbs of grannysmith apples and 30 raisin

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #10597
DaveVanO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Should I use apple juice from concentrate? or is it better to use Apple juice not from concentrate?

I have access to both, both are pasteurized.
I made my first 2.5 gallons from concentrate. And today made another 1 gallon not from concentrate. BUT dont have enough time to determine which is better. (trying to get a 5gallon batch going for a party in June. Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #10598
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 959 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougen View Post

heres mine with 3lbs of grannysmith apples and 30 raisin
No offense, but isn't your fermentor a little full? I'd be seriously worried about losing a gallon or more when the yeast start really producing co2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanO View Post
Should I use apple juice from concentrate? or is it better to use Apple juice not from concentrate?

I have access to both, both are pasteurized.
I made my first 2.5 gallons from concentrate. And today made another 1 gallon not from concentrate. BUT dont have enough time to determine which is better. (trying to get a 5gallon batch going for a party in June. Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks in advance
To be frank, there isn't a lot of difference. My personal preference falls slightly on the side of not from concentrate. The batches seem to differentiate a little more, which I think is nice. They also vary a little more seasonally.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #10599
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
[*]Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles (Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKG84Md2GMk). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #10600
dougen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
No offense, but isn't your fermentor a little full? I'd be seriously worried about losing a gallon or more when the yeast start really producing co2.

To be frank, there isn't a lot of difference. My personal preference falls slightly on the side of not from concentrate. The batches seem to differentiate a little more, which I think is nice. They also vary a little more seasonally.

i know there is alot of juice but its been in the carboy since the 2nd..bubbeled for the first couple of days ...now everything is great

Quick Reply