The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #10571
Frige
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its been 7 weeks in the fermenter so far and it is starting to clear up. I am really temped to call it done and try it out. Will it get that much better if I wait? Maybe just bottle it up and start a new batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #10572
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The difference between 2 months and 3 months was pretty amazing. I would wait if you can. It is too easy to plow through quickly before aging properly. I had to pull my bottles out of rotation to sit longer. It is worth the wait, and I want to have some aged at 6 months to a year.

Luckily I already have another batch at 3 months and will hold off bottling for a while longer. Already plan on my next batch this month also.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #10573
jimbo2012
Recipes 

I just bottled my first batch after almost 16 weeks in fermenter. Added just a little priming sugar. I'll probably try one in a week or so. Will they noticably get better the longer in the bottle or is the longer fermenter time more important?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #10574
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I just bottled my first batch after almost 16 weeks in fermenter. Added just a little priming sugar. I'll probably try one in a week or so. Will they noticably get better the longer in the bottle or is the longer fermenter time more important?
Hmm, yes. You need a few days after hitting fg for the yeast to do cleanup. That means letting the yeast turn some of the fusel alcohols into fruit esters. To do that you need to stay on the yeast. After that, it isn't critical if it ages in the fermenter or in bottles. I prefer to give mine a week to 10 days after hitting fg. Generally speaking, you get better results aging in bulk rather then in bottles.

Is it more important to keep in on the yeast, or to age it in general... It's debatable. If you don't have that time on the yeast the cider will have a noticeably harsher flavor. Though it doesn't have to stay there for 16 weeks. If you don't age the brew anymore after you take if off the yeast, it will have a noticeably harsher flavor. Though not in the same way as taking it off the yeast immediately after hitting fg. IMO, if your aging a batch for more then a year the aging is more important. If it's less then a year, the post ferment cleanup is more important.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't actually all that helpful...

Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #10575
jimbo2012
Recipes 

Hehe thanks. I guess I'll just have a few after 10 days and then stagger the rest of them as long as possible. Took a small sip when I opened it up tasted good enough already

Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #10576
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Hehe thanks. I guess I'll just have a few after 10 days and then stagger the rest of them as long as possible. Took a small sip when I opened it up tasted good enough already
Now would be a good time to start another batch, if you want to have any that's been aged.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #10577
lakeslad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

hi peeps, happy new year to you all, my Apfelwine is coming along nicly, the one on the left started on the 12th December(2012 not 10) is now slowing down on the air lock, now im in no rush to drink this id prefer to age it till the summer, whats the best way to handle it? i also dont need the demi jon as i have pleny, should i just leave it on the lees? or re rack when it starts to clear and store out of the way? any info appreciated.
lee

apfelwine.jpg  
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God''s waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Last edited by lakeslad; 01-05-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: update

Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #10578
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just tapped a keg of apfelwine I made two years ago. It has aged really nicely. I used the lavlin yeast.

My hop stopper

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #10579
Sheboyganjohn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

O.K. I give UP!!! I made it to page 400 and and it was like kicking a dead horse with a dead horse. Same questions over and over. I think I found all the info I need. Time to go sniff the air lock on my first batch.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #10580
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheboyganjohn
O.K. I give UP!!! I made it to page 400 and and it was like kicking a dead horse with a dead horse. Same questions over and over. I think I found all the info I need. Time to go sniff the air lock on my first batch.
What did you expect to find after the first few pages? This isn't rocket science. It all turns into commentary after a bit.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply