Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #10561
haycicle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
Add your sugar to the brew after it's hit fg to taste, lots of people back sweeten with apple juice concentrate. If you want a still brew, bottle pasteurize immediately after sweetening and bottling.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/
If you want a fizzy brew, then fill a plastic "tester" bottle with your brew. Once it's got the pressure you want, pasteurize the rest of the batch to halt the re-fermentation from the back sweetening.
Thank you very much! I read a bunch of that thread and will likely give that a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #10562
dougen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

have my first batch going now..i love ciders so i cant wait to try this carbed through a keg......need a flux copasitor....if only ...lol

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #10563
rpcvsam
Recipes 

I added Vinters Rasberry to my first batch. It's a little tart but it turned out quite well!!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #10564
Sheboyganjohn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

New to the forum and new to brewing. My dear wife suprised me by taking me by the local brew supply right before Christmas to "look" while we were out shopping and ended up buying me a brewing kit. Still waiting on a boil kettle so I started looking at something to make and found this thread. I am on page 160 of posts and will be starting the first batch in the morning. My goal is to finish reading this thread before the batch is done.

On a side note there is a 55 gallon drum of apple juice concentrate at work that we are pitching, going to try and scrounge some before the discard. Was stored on the shipping floor instead of in the cooler as it calls for on the label so the chemists want it pitched even though with the sugar content in it there is no way anything is going to grow in it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #10565
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheboyganjohn View Post
On a side note there is a 55 gallon drum of apple juice concentrate at work that we are pitching, going to try and scrounge some before the discard. Was stored on the shipping floor instead of in the cooler as it calls for on the label so the chemists want it pitched even though with the sugar content in it there is no way anything is going to grow in it.
Good lord... that'd make a LOT of Apfelwein. I'd try to get as much of it as you can, and ferment in every vessel you can get your hands on.
Yeast and water is cheap.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #10566
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
Good lord... that'd make a LOT of Apfelwein. I'd try to get as much of it as you can, and ferment in every vessel you can get your hands on.
Yeast and water is cheap.
Absolutely! Plus you can totally drop the sugar from the recipe, just dilute until you get your desired OG. What's even better is that, as long as it isn't already loaded with bacteria, once the alcohol content gets over about 4% you've killed practically everything that could hurt you.

Of course, the whole thing could be for naught if the concentrate has potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it...

Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #10567
Sheboyganjohn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Absolutely! Plus you can totally drop the sugar from the recipe, just dilute until you get your desired OG. What's even better is that, as long as it isn't already loaded with bacteria, once the alcohol content gets over about 4% you've killed practically everything that could hurt you.

Of course, the whole thing could be for naught if the concentrate has potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it...
I don't think I have to worry about additives. We use it for growing wine cultures. I have been ferementing bacteria at work for over 22 years, figured it was time to start fermenting something a little more fun at home.

On a side note, I am up to page 201. Only 800 and some odd pages to go.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #10568
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheboyganjohn
New to the forum and new to brewing. My dear wife suprised me by taking me by the local brew supply right before Christmas to "look" while we were out shopping and ended up buying me a brewing kit. Still waiting on a boil kettle so I started looking at something to make and found this thread. I am on page 160 of posts and will be starting the first batch in the morning. My goal is to finish reading this thread before the batch is done.

Build giant starter.

Pitch giant starter into drum.

Succeed at life.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #10569
slunkmonky
Recipes 

If I finished the fermentation (3.5 gallons), sorbated, and then added a 1/2 gallon of apple juice to up the sweetness and apple flavor of the wine, would that work or am I not seeing a potential issue? I just finished my last bottle from a primary starting last April and I'm starting to get the shakes.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #10570
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunkmonky View Post
If I finished the fermentation (3.5 gallons), sorbated, and then added a 1/2 gallon of apple juice to up the sweetness and apple flavor of the wine, would that work or am I not seeing a potential issue? I just finished my last bottle from a primary starting last April and I'm starting to get the shakes.
That would be fine. Sorbate will usually prevent refermentation, but it isn't a guarantee. If you want to be sure, you need to pasteurize.

Quick Reply