Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #10531
odh2507
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so i have a fairly simple question real quick. with no definite answer.

before i deployed, i made 2 5 gallon batches of apfelwein, as per recipe. the wife racked to seconday after 2 months. its been sitting there aging, getting good for 7 months...ill be home in two weeks...

i was thinking of bottling in mason jars...no carbonation. straight from carboy into mason jar. should i leave space at the top, or fill all the way to top? its done fermenting, no more yeastcake or anything. the reason for this, is to give to family, etc. if i dont fill to the top, anything i need to do, in order for it to not to do, because of the air caught inside?

thanks guys

also, this will moe than likely be refrigerated as soon as its in the mason jar, besides what i cant fit in the fridge lol...maybe age it longer..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #10532
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Ive searched high and low, and I'm either not good at searching or the answer isnt easy to find...

Ive had my apfelwein on the cake for going on 6 months and plan to bottle. Do i need to add yeast for bottling(with carbonation)? Should I use Montrachet or a jar of beer yeast?

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #10533
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

odh2507 I like the mason jar idea,if I did it I would seal the canning lids in a water bath like canning tomatoes.

Xpertskir you would not have to add yeast to prime at bottling but it would not hurt if you did.If you do I would say the Montrachet would be fine.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #10534
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

On the twelfth day of christmas hbt gave to me..........

12 psi serving pressure
11 drinks shared
10 friends a drinkin
9 still awake
8 kinds of cheese
7 types of sausage
6 gallon carboys

5 gallons of apple juice....

4 sprinkles of pectic enzyme
3 sprinkles of yeast nutrient
2 lbs of dextrose
And a packet of montrachet yeast

About sums up my night

Merry Christmas HBT

Old 12-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #10535
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by odh2507 View Post
...i was thinking of bottling in mason jars...no carbonation. straight from carboy into mason jar. should i leave space at the top, or fill all the way to top? its done fermenting, no more yeastcake or anything. the reason for this, is to give to family, etc. if i dont fill to the top, anything i need to do, in order for it to not to do, because of the air caught inside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
odh2507 I like the mason jar idea,if I did it I would seal the canning lids in a water bath like canning tomatoes.
Yup, definitely heat the lids and seal the jars. I haven't had the best of luck sealing brew in mason jars though. The extra surface area of the larger mouth of the jar has a tendency to promote oxidation. You can end up with a kind of green apple flavor after a while. It isn't a fatal problem with an apfelwein, but it does detract from the overall flavor. Nothing clever has occured to me for dealing with the problem.

Not really a big issue if you are going to be drinking it soon though.

I've had better luck with pry top beer bottles and oxygen absorbing caps. Especially for a still brew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
...Ive had my apfelwein on the cake for going on 6 months and plan to bottle. Do i need to add yeast for bottling(with carbonation)? Should I use Montrachet or a jar of beer yeast?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
Xpertskir you would not have to add yeast to prime at bottling but it would not hurt if you did.If you do I would say the Montrachet would be fine.
Yup again. I'd use the same yeast you used to make the apfelwein, whatever it may have been. Some yeast strains will leave a lot of a specific kind of sugar still in solution after fermentation. If you then add another kind of yeast you could end up with more continuing fermentation they you want and bottle bombs.

If your FG was right around 1.0 that shouldn't be a problem, but if you finished at more like 1.01 or higher you might have an issue mixing yeast.

Happy brewing

Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #10536
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wife: Ryan, The pantry smells like somebody farted then dropped a load in their pants.
Me: Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you this stuff might smell a little.
Me: People say this stuff smells like Rhino farts for the first couple days.
Wife: THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT SMELLS LIKE!

I did have an American Pale and I currently have a Black IPA fermenting in there. Suppose I should give it time to air out after this is all done.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #10537
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

So given that there are 700+ pages in this thread this question has probably been asked but not in the first 30 pages I read so bear with me. This will be my first time making a wine, I've done a couple beers and 10+ ciders.

Has anyone tried this with raisins? It's my belief that these will add some more sugar, nutrients, and mouthfeel. I've done one straight cider fermented dry with no back sweetening and the last one I tried was a little watery in feel so I think I'd like some more mouth feel in this. If anyone has done this, how much was added and when in the fermentation process(I'm thinking in the beginning)? Thanks guys, pumped to try this and merry Christmas Eve to all who celebrate!

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #10538
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I have not, but....

Apfelwein Thread Search
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/index827.html#post3420198

Google Search
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/1-gallon-apfelwein-recipe-159102/#post1838070
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/apfelwein-such-225820/#post2652486
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pomegranate-apfelwein-great-169962/#post1965353
http://snakeriverbrewers.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=0db285db4aeefeadb0818b98fe58de c9&topic=3797.msg54766#msg54766

Not sure if they will answer your question about how it turns out, but it should give you some more info that you could use to drop some PMs.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #10539
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Damn at 6 months this stuff is SMOOTH....just had my first taste when bottling...still obviously.

Im kinda shocked at how little flavor it has, and not in a bad way, very subtle and obviously very dry like the real deal ive had in Germany.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #10540
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pulling pints off a 14 month aged
batch kegged.

Delish.

Quick Reply