Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #10521
timcadieux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
You planning on keeping the 2nd batch on all that yeast for 6+ months? I've definitely had autolysis problems from keeping it on too long, and I know somebody else who has as well.
No, the reason I asked was a friend has already started this recipe. He has limited bottles but a free free carboys. I suggested to him that rather than age in bottles, why not rack off the yeast after say what, 4weeks, then age 6months in a carboy, thus freeing up his bottles.

I was also wondering about reusing the yeast cake but as mentioned, for the $1.50 yeast packet, its not worth it.

My initial thread has gone a little off the rails.

Fermenting - 10g Galaxy Pale Ale
Kegged - Raging Red Irish Ale, Black Widow Kolsch
On Deck - Captain Hooked on bitters ESB
On Tap - Revvy's Leffe Blonde Clone, Founders Porter Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #10522
pood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I think you are kidding, but selling homebrew is not legal and talking about illegal subjects tends to get threads locked.

I've done a few batches of apfelwein now. Not this exact recipe, but the same general idea. I've noticed that if I add 1 normal dose of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer for every 5% of target abv over about 7 I get something that doesn't require as much aging to be drinkable.

For instance, I've got some 16% abv apfelwein. It spent 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary with some bentonite to clear. It was just barely drinkable when it came out of secondary. It was ok after about 2 more weeks. After about 2 months it's actually quite nice.

I've had basically the same experience with other high abv brews. That makes me think that a fair number of the high abv brews are producing off flavors because they are nutrient deficient.

No hard science, but I'm going to keep using nutrient in everything with a highish abv target.

EDIT: At the target abv of this brew, I'd personally add 1 normal dose of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. The directions are on the packages, but usually 1 tsp nutrient/ gallon and 1/2 tsp energizer/ gallon.
Sorry, didn't know that it's illegal.

I just picked up all of my ingredients and gear today ($120 for 10 gallons + 2 better bottles + stoppers). The sales girl told me i could get some yeast nutrient, but since it wasn't listed on the main, I didn't. Is there any reason why it's not included?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #10523
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Ha now you're effed! All the dude wanted was some spiked juice and now he's half way to having a temperature controlled home brew set up.

10 gallons of apfelwein is gonna be a lot cooler than a single jug.

If you read more in the thread I believe you'll see posts about rhino farts that will answer the question about nutrients. Yeast needs certain things to live well, and those things are found in beer malt, buy not so much in apple juice. And the more you ask the yeast to do in terms of alcohol percentage, the more nutrients the yeast wants. Without added nutrient, the yeast tends to struggle, and when it struggles it tends to produce sulphur-smelling by products. I believe these usually age out of the brew, so they won't leave it tasting bad, but they may make your brew area smell bad.

It's not a very expensive addition, but probably not absolutely necessary.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #10524
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

And if your yeast hits a wall and your fermentation gets stuck, you could always add some nutrient boiled in some water and cooled down to your brew after the fact.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #10525
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
If you read more in the thread I believe you'll see posts about rhino farts that will answer the question about nutrients. Yeast needs certain things to live well, and those things are found in beer malt, buy not so much in apple juice. And the more you ask the yeast to do in terms of alcohol percentage, the more nutrients the yeast wants. Without added nutrient, the yeast tends to struggle, and when it struggles it tends to produce sulphur-smelling by products. I believe these usually age out of the brew, so they won't leave it tasting bad, but they may make your brew area smell bad.

It's not a very expensive addition, but probably not absolutely necessary.
With the listed recipe, not it's not absolutely essential. IMO, if your going over 10% abv then it pretty much is. A certain amount of h2s will age out, but if to much of it sits in solution for to long it turns into something that you can't ever get out of the brew. Plus, I'm usually way to impatient to let it age out. If you use yeast nutrient it's never produced in the first place

H2s production is usually the result of an enzyme produced by the yeast, in a nutrient poor environment, that breaks down dead yeast cells. That frees up the nutrients from the dead cells, but produces several rather unappetizing compounds. H2s is just the most noticeable one. Over time most of these compounds will break down into less offensive things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
And if your yeast hits a wall and your fermentation gets stuck, you could always add some nutrient boiled in some water and cooled down to your brew after the fact.
You don't even necessarily have to mix it with water. I haven't had a problem just pitching dry nutrient or energizer after fermentation has started and shaking the bottle.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #10526
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drinking a bottle of 11 month aged!! Good stuff!! Drinking it still but there is fizzzz to it. Love it

image-877876644.jpg

Maya Jane Brewing Co.
Evans, GA

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #10527
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 965 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Now if only the glass was actually bigger then the bottle...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #10528
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So I read up to page 130. I made my first batch on 12/20/12. When I was at my home brew store I told the guy I was making an apple wine and he said edworts? I just smiled and said yup. Mine made about half a circle within the first day. After that, all the bubbles on top disappeared and I have a ton of champaign bubbles. I never saw it foam up but when I checked it last night there looks to be some foam residue on my 6 gal BB. The upcoming weeks are going to be tough waiting. I don't have any legging equipment so ill have to bottle. I'm going to carb I think. It's my understanding that if you don't carb you have to move it to the fridge right away? Is that correct?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #10529
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
I don't have any legging equipment so ill have to bottle. I'm going to carb I think. It's my understanding that if you don't carb you have to move it to the fridge right away? Is that correct?
I have not heard that, curious why you think so.

I have not carbonated the last two 10gal batches batches and just bottled/corked in wine bottles which have gone into boxes in the basement storage area. It is cooler there (70 deg), but I'm not planning on storing the Apfelwein for years.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #10530
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
I have not heard that, curious why you think so.

I have not carbonated the last two 10gal batches batches and just bottled/corked in wine bottles which have gone into boxes in the basement storage area. It is cooler there (70 deg), but I'm not planning on storing the Apfelwein for years.
I just wasn't sure if it would spoil. In the earlier posts Ed said that you could bottle in the one gallon juice bottle but just be sure to refrigerate then. I must have misunderstood and I bet he ment if you open them. Refrigerate afterwards.

Quick Reply