The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #10451
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interesting about the Vitamin C comment, just finished making my first batch. 3.75 gallons of Kroger 100% apple juice, 1 gallon Kroger 100% cranberry juice. 2 lbs priming sugar from my LHBS was only $3, not worth shopping around. I'm going to give it about a month, then float a sock with a cinnamon stick for a week or two. Then leave it alone for a month or so before doing a little check.

Doh! Major Homer Moment, forgot to check SG. Better check now, even with the yeast I hope I get a semi-accurate reading.

Edit: measures about 1.062-.064, does this seem about right? If there is such a thing with this hooch....

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #10452
peter78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought organic apple juice from Mcintosh apples with nothing added from Trader Joes. I purposely looked for an all apple juice with nothing else. Unless they didn't specify on the label....

Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #10453
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews

The acidity will depend on the apple juice that you started from. Many of the popular brands add ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and once the sugar has fermented out, you're left with nothing to buffer the acidic flavor.
Errrrr, technically true, but misleading. The vitamin C is rarely, if ever, in so significant a concentration.

But apples are high in malic acid, and in fact are more acidific than lemons, even. And of course, this acidity varies from cultivar to cultivar, and (to a lesser extent) even fruit to fruit. So depending on the apples the juice was made from, the acidity will likewise vary, and it's from this that certain juices/apfelweins will get their acidic bite - NOT the (sometimes) added ascorbate.

That being said, IME and from what I've seen of others, the more acidific juices actually seem to be largely preferred, with less acidic (often "higher" quality, more expensive) juices seeming to turn out a product that tastes lifeless and watery to most people.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #10454
Multiplexin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Errrrr, technically true, but misleading. The vitamin C is rarely, if ever, in so significant a concentration.

But apples are high in malic acid, and in fact are more acidific than lemons, even. And of course, this acidity varies from cultivar to cultivar, and (to a lesser extent) even fruit to fruit. So depending on the apples the juice was made from, the acidity will likewise vary, and it's from this that certain juices/apfelweins will get their acidic bite - NOT the (sometimes) added ascorbate.

That being said, IME and from what I've seen of others, the more acidific juices actually seem to be largely preferred, with less acidic (often "higher" quality, more expensive) juices seeming to turn out a product that tastes lifeless and watery to most people.
I believe you are correct about the ascorbic acid having little to no effect on taste, but according to this web site, lemon juice has a pH of 2.0-2.6 and apple juice has a pH of 3.4. Obviously, the type of apples used for the juice can affects the pH, but I think it's more typical for "drinking" type apple juice to be less acidic (higher pH) than lemon juice.

Either way, I used cheap juice from concentrate with ascorbic acid added and the final product is not sour. It is tart, however.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #10455
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My legs are numb.... and that's on topic... lol

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #10456
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post

But apples are high in malic acid, and in fact are more acidific than lemons, even.
That's very hard to believe...

http://www.nsta.org/pdfs/forensics/6A-6C.pp123-132.pdf

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #10457
1Q84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

After about 10 weeks, I put my apfelwein bottles. Would have been nice to wait a little longer, perhaps. But I've been so busy with life/work lately, that I took the first chance to bottle it (it's been about 10 weeks, at least).

Lemme tell you. This stuff is the real deal. I used 5 gallons of basic Kroger apple juice, and the product tastes like a mix of apple juice + white wine, but I personally love it. Absolutely no taste of alcohol AT ALL. Absolutely deadly. Gonna buy more juice soon.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #10458
Smithman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGeekGuy View Post

Edit: measures about 1.062-.064, does this seem about right? If there is such a thing with this hooch....
Mine came in at 1.059 OG. Yours sounds fine.

Now for my question to you guys; Does this stuff need to be degassed if I plan to put it up in corked wine bottles after 4 weeks?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #10459
verbhertz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I made one batch of Apfelwein around this time last year, but it's all been gone for months now. Well, besides the ONE bottle I have in my fridge that I *almost* drank today.

Anyways, I have another 6 gallons that are going on month 5 in the better bottle. Anyone care to hazard a guess at how amazing this will taste? I can't wait!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #10460
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had 5 gallons that I just bottled the other week that had been sitting in the primary since early FEB. AMAZING. I also have one wine bottle left that is about 13 months old that I'm saving for christmas. I brought some over to a couple who are wine drinkers and they both loved it. I think it can be an acquired taste for some people. They were blown away by the simplicity of the recipe.

Maya Jane Brewing Co.
Evans, GA

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

Quick Reply