Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #10421
1Q84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Oh man, my batch has been sitting for close to 2 months now. Have yet to try it, but I snuck a whiff of it just now.

Certainly smells like apple. And wine. Lots and lots of wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #10422
1Q84
Recipes 

Well, broke down and snagged a sample. The flavor is incredibly light, but it's still a nice apple flavor. No real taste of booze at all to me. This could be dangerous. I'm sure this has been asked about a million times in this megathread, but what should my next move be? It will be 2 months old on the 14th, and I would like to bring some of this to some Christmas gatherings if I can. When should I bottle for optimal results?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #10423
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duecedad View Post
and it lasted 8 days in the keg
You kicked a keg of Apfelwein in 8 DAYS?! You're a mad man!

Also, 1Q84, in response to your question on bottling in time for Christmas. Do you plan on carbonating it? If so, I would bottle sooner than later.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #10424
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update from my modified "spiced" recipe. It's been about 4 weeks in bottle and I had my first one last night that finally carbonated. I'll just flat out say it: this **** is amazing. The carbonation gives it a full mouthfeel and there's this almost light biscuity smell (not sure what that's from, maybe the yeast?). The spices and honey came together to knock out any issues with it being young. I think I've found my new favorite holiday drink. I will try to post a pic of it soon. I'm very happy with the results!

Also thank goodness my cloves were old. I don't think I could have survived 8 fresh cloves in this beer

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #10425
1Q84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
You kicked a keg of Apfelwein in 8 DAYS?! You're a mad man!

Also, 1Q84, in response to your question on bottling in time for Christmas. Do you plan on carbonating it? If so, I would bottle sooner than later.
Eh. As a mostly beer drinker, I was pretty satisfied with my uncarbed sample. Plus, since apfelwein is traditionally uncarbed, I'm gonna stick with that.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #10426
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Been drinking our first batch the last couple weeks. Used two lbs brown sugar plus one heaped cup regular sugar with 1116 yeast. Added two cups sugar for the back sweeten job. This stuff is great. Five gallon might not last that long. Glad I took Edwort's advice and have five more ready to bottle and five I just started after the bottle job a couple weeks ago. Mike

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #10427
sallykalou
Recipes 

Bottled this yesterday, around 2 months old. Its pretty good, going to age it probably till christmas now before drinking anymore, but I'm going to start another 5g batch soon.
I have a few questions though.
Am I okay using apple juice from concentrate, as long as it has no e numbers in?
What 'easy' flavorings can I add? The kind I can just throw in with little to no extra prep?
Last time I used a yeast from a homebrew store (sn9), I'm not sure how this has affected it, but next time I'm planning to use EC-1118. Would that most likely be an improvement?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #10428
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

dumb question.... i've carbonated my Apfelwein off the CO2 canister like i do all my beers.... but there's no head on my apfelwein. Do ciders and things of that nature just not get a head? Or do I need to carbonate it at way higher PSIs? or what

sorry if that is a stupid question

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #10429
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotakah View Post
dumb question.... i've carbonated my Apfelwein off the CO2 canister like i do all my beers.... but there's no head on my apfelwein. Do ciders and things of that nature just not get a head? Or do I need to carbonate it at way higher PSIs? or what

sorry if that is a stupid question
great question. head has a lot to do with contents of the drink. how old is your apfelwein, is it actually carbonated?

Mine is well carbonated and pours with a huge head, but this quickly settles down to almost no head. If i swirl it up it gets creamy again with bubbles, though.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #10430
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I had a hard lemonade that, while it did eventually develop a head, it took FOREVER.

Quick Reply