Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #10411
Barron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm going to keg a five gallon batch of this within the next hour or so. M question is can I make another batch using the old yeast cake? Or should I just clean and sanitize the carboy and use fresh yeast? Sorry if this has been asked I couldn't find it anywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #10412
clengman
Recipes 

Hi I just mixed up my first batch of Apfelwein. I followed EdWort's recipe to the letter. The only issue is that my space allotment for playing with fermentables is in an unheated coal cellar. I just measured the temperature of a bottle of water sitting in the same room as my fermenter and it read about 55 F (Which I believe is the lowest recommended temp for Montrachet yeast.) Outdoor temp has been pretty constant in the low 40s for the past week. In the dead of winter the temp in this room might drop to the mid to high 40s.

I mixed everything up last night. After 8 hours it looked as though nothing at all had happened. The yeast was just laying on the bottom of the jug. After 20 hr it appears that some movement may be beginning. Some of the yeast granules are now suspended about an inch off the bottom of the jug and the yeast on the bottom of the jug is beginning to swell a little.

So here's my question: Do I have to warm it up? If the yeast will work at low temp but just take a long time to finish it doesn't necessarily bother me. If it's not going to work at all then I'll negotiate for a warmer place to keep the carboy or I'll try to come up with a heating solution, but frankly I'd rather just let it be.

What do you think?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #10413
ypbradford
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypbradford View Post
I tried this and got good results but very very dry. I am a huge Apfelwein fan after living in Germany for a couple of years, so although I like the way my batch turned out it seemed to be missing the tartness of Frankfurter Apfelwein. I talked with the guys at my local brew store and they told me that the tartness would need to come from the juice. So I am going to try an experiment. . . I have some jonathon apples just getting ripe and I am going to juice them and try a mix of fresh juice along with the bottled stuff (I don't have the bushels of apples necessary to produce 5 gallons of juice). Hopefully this will boost the tartness I am striving for.

Any thoughts?

Also could anyone suggest how much additional sugar to add - for example how much sugar is in the bottled juice; if I use a 2:3 ratio two gallons tart juice to three gallons bottled juice, how much more sugar should I add to get the fermentation I want?
update:
I racked this batch today and had a taste. I really believe this is what I was striving for to get as close as I can to Possmann's Frankfurter Apfelwein. It has the tartness I am looking for and should be very good after some aging.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #10414
beersurgeon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek
Bleach is a poor choice for a sanitizer. Time to get a nice food-grade no-rinse sanitizer like the aforementioned starsan or iodophor.
I have starsan for sanitizing.

The bleach is pretreatment/deep cleaning because my empties are at various levels of cleanliness.

And it'll get the labels off too.

I just need to get strict on post-drinking rinsing.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #10415
duecedad
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

first post....
I found the love of apfelwein so intriguing I had to try it....
batch #1: Ed's exact recipe, back sweetened with 2 cans concentrate and 16oz agave nectar
I added 2 cinnamon sticks at kegging and it lasted 8 days in the keg and got sweeter till the end. Absolutely delicious!
batch #2 kegged now had one vanilla bean, one clove, and two cinnamon sticks added at fermentation, I think it's better.
Due to the fact of increased sweetness i may reduce or exclude the nectar on future batches. IF IT LASTS THAT LONG...
more to come..

Oh BTW SWMBO thought it was perfect......

Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #10416
duecedad
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

first post....
I found the love of apfelwein so intriguing I had to try it....
batch #1: Ed's exact recipe, back sweetened with 2 cans concentrate and 16oz agave nectar
I added 2 cinnamon sticks at kegging and it lasted 8 days in the keg and got sweeter till the end. Absolutely delicious!
batch #2 kegged now had one vanilla bean, one clove, and two cinnamon sticks added at fermentation, I think it's better.
Due to the fact of increased sweetness i may reduce or exclude the nectar on future batches. IF IT LASTS THAT LONG...
more to come..

Oh BTW SWMBO thought it was perfect......

Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #10417
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Has anyone ever infused fruit into their Apfelwein, maybe like strawberries? I’m trying some right now, in a 750 mason jar and 6 good sized strawberries.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #10418
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersurgeon View Post
I have starsan for sanitizing.

The bleach is pretreatment/deep cleaning because my empties are at various levels of cleanliness.

And it'll get the labels off too.

I just need to get strict on post-drinking rinsing.
I've been using Oxyclean for cleaning/delabeling. Get a rope tub and your in business.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #10419
Rigger103
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

ive looked at my grocery store for the dextrose and can't find it do you have to go to a brew shop for it?

You don't choose a life...........you live one

Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #10420
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger103 View Post
ive looked at my grocery store for the dextrose and can't find it do you have to go to a brew shop for it?
To quote Yooper, "try the homebrew stores first, and then call around to some hippie stores. I pay about $.99/pound for it."

LHBS, "Hippie Stores", Online Brewshops, and Amazon is a solid list.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Quick Reply