Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #10371
booherbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm the guy who made the spiced version w/ cloves/spices, honey in place of sugar. I bottled this last week. I ended up back sweetening it with 8oz of lactose (non-fermentable) and priming with 6oz of priming sugar (6.25gallon batch). I also re-applied the spices in a tea format for good measure.

It tasted really good, not boozy at all. It definitely needed the back sweetener as I think the honey and spices dried it out (probably didn't need to add any spices before fermentation, they weren't really coming through). Excited to see where it ends up. Definitely a bit of a concoction.

Anyone else backsweeten with lactose and carbonate??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #10372
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Yee Haw! I think you will end up naming it "The Clove Bomb" Apfelwein batch. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks! Maybe I'm doing something wrong... cloves are tiny little black things right? I hardly got any flavor at all from them in the 6.5gallon batch. Maybe they were too old? Hmm. Or maybe they're so powerful I'm mistaking them for the "dry" character

Also worth mentioning: The "protein" or whatever from either the honey, spices, brown sugar, or all of the above did cause a blow-out with my non-krausen Montrachet yeast. Found that pretty interesting. After 24 hours they all rose to the top, foamed up, and my blow-off tube worked fabulously. But after they vacated the vessel, there was just fermentation and no krausen. Very strange.

Also fermentation started up *immediately* upon adding priming sugar. That was interesting never seen that before.

Final Recipe:
6gallons of kroger 100% apple juice
3lb of honey
1lb of dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg. 8 cloves.

honey + brown sugar + few pints of juice on stove top to a boil, added cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Threw all of it into the fermenter, topped off to 6.5gal.

Fermented out 3 weeks w/ montrachet yeast. Needed blowoff tube.

At bottling, primed with 6oz of priming sugar, backsweetened to taste with 8oz of lactose (non-fermentable sugar). Added another 1.5tsp of cinnamon, 1.0tsp of nutmeg since the spice really didn't come through. No more cloves added

Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #10373
txlonghorns23
Recipes 

I made an account just to post on this thread!!!

Anyway, I started this process about three weeks ago. This is my first attempt to make wine. I decided to do this because it looks pretty easy. I used a 5 gallon plastic carboy with

5 gallons of Simply Apple
2 pounds of dextrose
1 pound of lactose
and I forgot the yeast I used :/

I know these questions are probably answered and I will go through the 1000 pages of this thread to see if they are there, but here are my questions:

After 3 weeks, is it supposed to still be cloudy? I know it was originally said that after 4 weeks its good to go, but I didnt think it should be this cloudy

The bubbling stopped last week. Does this mean its done fermenting?

Also, the was no sulfur smell. Could this be because of the apple juice I used or did I do something wrong?

I am sorry for the stupid questions. Like I said, this is my first attempt and I want to try to learn as much as I can about the process

Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #10374
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Longhorn,

First, welcome to HBT, we're glad your here.

Second,

I have read reports of 4-8 weeks before it will clear. Mine have usually cleared within 6 weeks. I have never used a non fermentable sugar/sweetener during fermentation, so this may change the clearing timeframe.

I think the sulfur smell is a function of the yeast used. I use Lalvin D47 and have never had sulfur smells.

The release CO2 is a visible sign of fermentation, but fermentation can and does happen without the bubbling. The best way to be absolutely sure when fermentation has stopped is to test the gravity on three successive days. If the gravity does not change, fermentation has ended. You can purchase a Hydrometer($10-20)/Refractometer($30-150) to perform the gravity tests.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #10375
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you are still around the site when you taste this stuff, you'll have to let me know how it tastes. I wanted to use simply apple for my next batch. I love that juice but for some reason did not use it for this batch.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #10376
fosgate
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just ordered the stuff to make this swill last night. Place I ordered from have the 5gal PET Carboy for 25% off. Not the "Better bottle" brand but I couldn't say no to that and their shipping costs.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12929

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #10377
txlonghorns23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Longhorn,

First, welcome to HBT, we're glad your here.

Second,

I have read reports of 4-8 weeks before it will clear. Mine have usually cleared within 6 weeks. I have never used a non fermentable sugar/sweetener during fermentation, so this may change the clearing timeframe.

I think the sulfur smell is a function of the yeast used. I use Lalvin D47 and have never had sulfur smells.

The release CO2 is a visible sign of fermentation, but fermentation can and does happen without the bubbling. The best way to be absolutely sure when fermentation has stopped is to test the gravity on three successive days. If the gravity does not change, fermentation has ended. You can purchase a Hydrometer($10-20)/Refractometer($30-150) to perform the gravity tests.
Im guessing I can get a hydrometer at my local HBS? Thank you for the answers. I was a little worried because our air conditioner broke last week and the temperature got up to like 86 or 88 for a day or so. I didnt know if that could have killed the yeast.

One more quick dumb question: Will the wine clear up as much as typical apple juice or the apple juice I used? Like Simply Apple in the bottle is already not that clear so will the wine end up looking like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantDusty View Post
If you are still around the site when you taste this stuff, you'll have to let me know how it tastes. I wanted to use simply apple for my next batch. I love that juice but for some reason did not use it for this batch.
Of course! Well remember I added 1 lb of lactose to it so its a little different from the original recipe

Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #10378
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlonghorns23 View Post
Im guessing I can get a hydrometer at my local HBS? Thank you for the answers. I was a little worried because our air conditioner broke last week and the temperature got up to like 86 or 88 for a day or so. I didnt know if that could have killed the yeast.

One more quick dumb question: Will the wine clear up as much as typical apple juice or the apple juice I used? Like Simply Apple in the bottle is already not that clear so will the wine end up looking like it?

Of course! Well remember I added 1 lb of lactose to it so its a little different from the original recipe
it should be as clear as the original juice, especially if you pasteurize or cold crash since all the live yeast in suspension will die/go dormant and fall to the bottom of the bottle.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #10379
Multiplexin
Recipes 

Hello! This is my first post here

I started a three gallon batch of apfelwein, mostly following EdWort's recipe, ten days ago and it is already clear (see my brew log in my signature for pictures and details). I tasted a few sips tonight and it really wasn't too bad - I don't have a superb pallet, but it was reminiscent of a dry white wine with some tropical flavors. SWMBO agreed.

I strayed from the recipe in that I re-hydrated the yeast and added apple juice to the re-hydrated yeast incrementally to acclimate it and I also used energizer and nutrient after the lag period.

I'm guessing my unusually fast fermentation and clearing is due to the temperature (75-79 degrees F), acclimated and re-hydrated yeast, and nutrient and energizer additions. I'll probably bottle it after about another month in the BetterBottle.

Anyone else have an experience like this? Also, I had Chimay blue for the first time tonight - it was glorious!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #10380
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Fixing' to pull the trigger on this and looking forward to the product!!!

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Quick Reply