Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #10351
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguz4300 View Post
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this and after I bottled it up in 12 oz bottles and 1 L fliptops, I put it aside to "age" as recommended. Tasted good after a few months so I was satisfied. Before I could finish all of it, I moved to a new place, but I still own the house I moved from, basically using it for storage. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how this may taste), I forgot to bring the brew with me though since I had a pretty decent pipeline going and it just got overlooked. It is now 3 years later and when I went visited the house the other day to go to the basement to get some Halloween decorations, I found a dusty case under the stairs!

Here's the question: think it's safe to drink?

I'm meticulous when it comes to sanitation and everything. Bottles sealed and it looks like the gaskets on the fliptops are still intact.
I don't see any reason not to drink them. If you are worried send me some to sample.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #10352
Neil-ohki
Recipes 

According to the sticky thermometer on my carboy, my apfelwein is chugging away at about 82F. I note that Montrachet has a temperature tolerance of 58-86F(or thereabouts). The heat in my apartment is centrally controlled (residence-style apartment), and all the rooms are basically the same temp.

Should I be trying to cool this off somewhat? It's my first attempt at making anything, so I'm a bit anxious about stalling out or weird flavours developing.

Today apfelwein. Tomorrow... probably more apfelwein!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #10353
Neil-ohki
Recipes 

I've managed to get it down to 78F. The airlock is starting to release some really nice apple smells!

Man, I can't wait to try this stuff!

Today apfelwein. Tomorrow... probably more apfelwein!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #10354
RauelDuke
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 75 Posts

Couple of questions, is this supposed to be carbonated and if so to how many volumes? This is my first time making Apfelwine so I'm not real sure. Plus I'm still kind of a noob.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #10355
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have some I started in July. Racked about two months ago and am needing the carboy. How much sugar do most add to back sweeten if allowed to ferment dry? Mike

Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #10356
d10coalpusher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got a 5 gal batch going yesterday and its bubbling nicely this morning. Only thing I did different was used 3 lbs dextrose, 2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 1/2 pks Montrachet yeast. The half pack was left from some soda pop I made for the kids so I poured it in. Start SG was 1.08 with a potential alcohol of about 11%. Can hardly wait till it ages and is fit to drink.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #10357
dixiedeerslaya
Recipes 

going to start a slightly modified version of this this weekend. i want it to have a holiday spice to it. thinking of using brown sugar in the initial fermentation and maybe backsweetening afterwards with a little bit of brown sugar. going to make it more of a wine than a cider. shooting for around 12-14% abv.

my question is when do i need to add the cinnamon and how much? ill be making a 5 gallon batch. also, ground cinnamon work in substitute of a cinnamon stick?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #10358
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguz4300 View Post
I found a dusty case under the stairs!

Here's the question: think it's safe to drink?

I'm meticulous when it comes to sanitation and everything. Bottles sealed and it looks like the gaskets on the fliptops are still intact.
I wouldn't chance it, instead send it to the Opus Apfelwein Testing Lab. I will send the lab's address via PM.

I have had 12 year stout that was stored in flip tops and while it had some oxidation, it actually still tasted like an OK stout. I wouldn't serve it to friends, but I eventually drank it all.

I think your 3 yr Apfelwein might be very good. Go for it!

Opus
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #10359
sallykalou
Recipes 

In the primary since 10 sept, should I bottle age this or leave it in the primary to age? No airlock action now, I have both bottles, and the primary which I'm in no rush to get back.
I tried some, and it was rather tasteless, although with an alcoholic aftertaste to it.

Primary, secondary, or bottle now?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #10360
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykalou View Post
In the primary since 10 sept, should I bottle age this or leave it in the primary to age? No airlock action now, I have both bottles, and the primary which I'm in no rush to get back.
I tried some, and it was rather tasteless, although with an alcoholic aftertaste to it.

Primary, secondary, or bottle now?
I'm just thinking about bottling the latest batch that was in primary since August 7.

I would wait another 4 weeks to bottle.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Quick Reply