Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #10341
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I applaud your courage with the cloves. I'd be curious to see how that cidercyserapfelwein turns out. I will guess it will be a bit clovey.
Way too many cloves. Most people put 2-3 in max and many think its too much, at 8 i hate to break it too you but its going to be undrinkable for a very very long time...fish some of them out if you can somehow lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #10342
jarett
Recipes 

Ok, hopefully I didn't go too far off the deep end with my experiment. with the holidays coming up I wanted to do something seasonal so I'm trying an apple pie cider. I used two pounds of brown sugar, three cinnamon sticks, two vanilla beans, and one clove.

Any predictions on how it will turn out?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #10343
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingTony
Mine's been in the bottle for about 3 months now. I fermented for a month. I find it really has no flavor. I am drinking some now mixed with apple flavored soda, and it is to my liking. I still have about 40 bottles, so we'll see how it improves with age. I am not expecting flavor to develop. Truth be told, I was hoping for something sweet, but I was not expecting something flavorless. I've read that I was wrong to expect it to be sweet, but I have also read others say that it lacks flavor.
Many have found that the apple flavor actually does develop later around 8months or so. That has been my experience. It of course, won't get sweeter. I think my favorite so far was the standard batch, then stabilized and back sweetened with apple juice concentrate. I kegged it so it was still carbonated.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #10344
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarett View Post
Ok, hopefully I didn't go too far off the deep end with my experiment. with the holidays coming up I wanted to do something seasonal so I'm trying an apple pie cider. I used two pounds of brown sugar, three cinnamon sticks, two vanilla beans, and one clove.

Any predictions on how it will turn out?
I think it is going to turn out very well. I'm thinking I may try that same spices and ratio for my next batch.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #10345
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by booherbg View Post

6gal of 100% apple juice (Kroger)
3lb of Honey (Bulk from Listermann's)
1lb of dark brown sugar
1tbsp cinnamon (instead of 5 cinnamon sticks)
1tbsp nutmet (instead of 1tsp)
8 cloves (crushed).
Montrachet Wine Yeast
Yee Haw! I think you will end up naming it "The Clove Bomb" Apfelwein batch. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #10346
jarett
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
I think it is going to turn out very well. I'm thinking I may try that same spices and ratio for my next batch.
OK, so it's only been 24 hours, but OH MY LORD! It smells amazing! I sure hope the final product is as good. It is going to be a very difficult six weeks.

I'm lucky, though, I did a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy and glad I did. There was a pretty good amount of foaming that I think would have blown out the top in a 5 gallon carboy.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #10347
Neil-ohki
Recipes 

Hi everyone!

Thanks to this thread (which I found by following a link from a Fark.com thread about 3 weeks ago) I have purchased my first homebrew pieces just to make apfelwein.

I've wanted to get into brewing for a number of years, but living in small apartments hasn't made that easy. Having moved to a bigger place this past summer, combined with the sweet promise of a new beverage experience have allowed me to convince SWMBO that this might be a pretty good idea after all. Plus, the amount of gear needed to start with apfelwein as opposed to beermaking is almost trivial, since the biggest piece needed is a carboy.

I followed Ed Wort's recipe to the letter. After 5 hours I snuck a peek to see if anything was going on yet, and noticed airlock activity. So things seem pretty good, and this was too simple to put together! I took more time cleaning my new gear (first time, I wanted to make sure everything was clean, clean, clean!) than it did to open and pour all 10 2 liter bottles of juice.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the final results.

Today apfelwein. Tomorrow... probably more apfelwein!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #10348
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am torn between bulk aging and having some for the holidays. I think since I added spices I don't have to worry about bulk aging as much. If I bottle at the end of the month, it will be two months since I made it and should regain some character back and will be ready around thanksgiving.

I did make two batches, with the second having 1 gallon of cherry juice added along with some cinnamon sticks. I plan on letting that go well into next year. Any input on this? How does bottling in two months with spices added work out?

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #10349
chrisguz4300
Recipes 

Default Oooooooooooold Apfelwein

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this and after I bottled it up in 12 oz bottles and 1 L fliptops, I put it aside to "age" as recommended. Tasted good after a few months so I was satisfied. Before I could finish all of it, I moved to a new place, but I still own the house I moved from, basically using it for storage. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how this may taste), I forgot to bring the brew with me though since I had a pretty decent pipeline going and it just got overlooked. It is now 3 years later and when I went visited the house the other day to go to the basement to get some Halloween decorations, I found a dusty case under the stairs!

Here's the question: think it's safe to drink?

I'm meticulous when it comes to sanitation and everything. Bottles sealed and it looks like the gaskets on the fliptops are still intact.

Ohh, it's a deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #10350
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Way too many cloves. Most people put 2-3 in max and many think its too much, at 8 i hate to break it too you but its going to be undrinkable for a very very long time...fish some of them out if you can somehow lol.
Well, the man did say 6gallons of juice. He did 1 clove per gallong, and two more just cuz.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply