The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #10321
sallykalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Had this in a primary for 3 weeks tomorrow, still getting the odd bubble but nothing often. I'm leaving it for atleast another week in the primary, then I was thinking about bottling it to age for a month or two more. Am I better bottling it, or leaving it in the primary?
When I do bottle it, are there any steps that I need to take before or is it just a case of siphoning into my bottles and corking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #10322
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wow, I have to have two large candles going and a box over the carboy because of the smell it is putting off! I can't wait until this stage it over!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #10323
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykalou View Post
Had this in a primary for 3 weeks tomorrow, still getting the odd bubble but nothing often. I'm leaving it for atleast another week in the primary, then I was thinking about bottling it to age for a month or two more. Am I better bottling it, or leaving it in the primary?
When I do bottle it, are there any steps that I need to take before or is it just a case of siphoning into my bottles and corking?
Unless you really need that primary, I would at least let it really clear out before bottling (maybe 5 weeks +/- depending). I think better to let it mature in bulk for 2 months prior to bottling, but this is just my two pennies. It won't start to shine until 3-4 months anyway, so why rush it.
Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #10324
Jboyles123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantDusty
Wow, I have to have two large candles going and a box over the carboy because of the smell it is putting off! I can't wait until this stage it over!
Did you put any yeast nutrient/energizer in it? Really seemed to help with the smell for my last couple of batches.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #10325
sallykalou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Unless you really need that primary, I would at least let it really clear out before bottling (maybe 5 weeks +/- depending). I think better to let it mature in bulk for 2 months prior to bottling, but this is just my two pennies. It won't start to shine until 3-4 months anyway, so why rush it.
I'm in no rush for the primary, I just wasn't sure if I would get better results moving it to bottles or a secondary. I'll probably leave it until late November in the primary, then bottle and maybe drink some over christmas if that would be good?
I started the batch on the 10th of September

Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #10326
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantDusty View Post
I've made about a dozen batches so far, and the "Rhino Farts" stage only seems to happen if I let the temperature get over 72F. Keep it in the 65-68F range, and I've only got the yeasty odors you normally get with active fermentation.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #10327
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think the temperature did raise for a few days but it is usually around 65F. That stage is over now. Ill make sure to watch the temperature when I start the next one and maybe Ill try a nutrient/energizer too! Either way, I am excited for it.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #10328
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I made this but with honey instead of sugar + 1lb of dark brown sugar. Interestingly enough, there was something in there (the honey?) that resembled protein. As the yeast started to get active, the sludge rose up like jellyfish rising into the ocean. Eventually it crowded the neck of the fermenter and overflowed out into the blowoff tube. Very strange! Once it was gone within a few days, there was no krausen as expected with the vigerous fermentation... Hmm. Weird, right?

I ended up doing this as my final recipe, a mix between Apfelwein and a spiced cider. I had ingredients on hand so I figured why the heck not.

6gal of 100% apple juice (Kroger)
3lb of Honey (Bulk from Listermann's)
1lb of dark brown sugar
1tbsp cinnamon (instead of 5 cinnamon sticks)
1tbsp nutmet (instead of 1tsp)
8 cloves (crushed).
Montrachet Wine Yeast

Boiled quarter gallon of water + honey + brown sugar + cloves for 30 minutes, added cinnamon and nutmet for last 10 minutes. Added entire mixture to the fermenter after cooling, topped up to 6gallon. OG was 1.065

Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #10329
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1545 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

I applaud your courage with the cloves. I'd be curious to see how that cidercyserapfelwein turns out. I will guess it will be a bit clovey.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #10330
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I applaud your courage with the cloves. I'd be curious to see how that cidercyserapfelwein turns out. I will guess it will be a bit clovey.
I agree 8 cloves will definitely put the clove flavor in it.

Quick Reply