Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #10301
LoneTreeFarms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuilliez View Post
So I "brewed" this back in July, and I'm gonna be bottling next week. Should I throw in some new yeast at bottling time? I used the recommended Montrachet champagne yeast...
NOOOO. you shouldn't need to add any additional yeast, and definitely not at bottling time. if you're going to backsweeten you need to add sorbate and campden tabs first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #10302
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Just found a 1 year old bottle....very different then the young stuff.....good news is I made another batch of February of last year....and have a ton of that, looks like I will have to make another 5 gallons soon.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #10303
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I searched a few times and didn't find a direct answer. I want to keg half and bottle half of my batch. It's been in primary for months and tastes great to me.

Bottled will be dry and the keg will be back sweetened.

For the bottling do I use priming sugar like I do with beer and let it bottle carb? Same quantities as bottling beer on the sugar?

I then want to keg the other half. This half needs to have the yeast killed, correct? Or would the cold fridge be enough to prohibit fermentation if I add wine conditioner? Is potasium sorbate the primary weapon here? Is anything else needed? If I transfer to keg, add the potasium sorbate to the keg in appropriate dose, how long do I wait to add my sweetener, wine conditioner? Is anything else other than potasium sorbate required?

Thanks all.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #10304
twalsh341
Recipes 

As far as I understand wine conditioner (the one I have) it has unfermentable sugars and wouldn't be effected by yeasts.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #10305
levon15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wine conditioner also states it has some potassium sorbate in it, I assume it's not enough to prevent additional fermentation.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #10306
Fj3fury
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

With fall's onset and no cider left from previous batches.... I mixed up six gallons of apfelwein with two pounds of light brown sugar and a packet of champagne yeast. I'll have it jugged in time for Thanksgiving. I may put some cinnamon it it when I jug the magic elixir.

I drink therefore I am.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #10307
jimfire85
Recipes 

Just a quick question regarding body. I just tasted my first two batches (one with montrachet and one with nottingham yeasts) Both had a good aroma and the alcohol flavor was prevalent, however the body was just not there, it had a very thin profile. Both were assembled on august 10th , does the body develop in this recipe hence the recommendations of "it gets better with age" Ideally I was hoping that this would be worth presenting by thanksgiving, any input?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10308
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfire85 View Post
Just a quick question regarding body. I just tasted my first two batches (one with montrachet and one with nottingham yeasts) Both had a good aroma and the alcohol flavor was prevalent, however the body was just not there, it had a very thin profile. Both were assembled on august 10th , does the body develop in this recipe hence the recommendations of "it gets better with age" Ideally I was hoping that this would be worth presenting by thanksgiving, any input?
Not sure what to say about the "body"....it's a wine, so it'll never have the same "thickness" as a cider or beer.

As far as your timeline, like most people new to this recipe, you are trying to rush it. Ideally, you want at least 2-3 months in your carboy, followed by several months (common recommendation is at least 6 months) either bulk aging or bottle-conditioning. If you want it sparkling/carbonated, add some more time. WINE IS NOT BEER - YOU WILL NOT WANT TO DRINK IT IN A FEW WEEKS. Even after the first month or two it's not really all that good. Be patient, give it time. Whip up a nice pumpkin ale for Turkey Day and plan to drown everyone in apfelwine NEXT year....it'll be worth the wait!
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #10309
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Anyone know how much yeast are left in a carboy that's been bulk aging for almost 10 months? Racked off the lees twice. I just kegged it yesterday, and backsweetened )1 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and 2 cans of concentrate). But I won't have room for the keg in the fridge for a few weeks, at which time I was going to force carb it for a halloween party. I did fill a plastic bottle to monitor. I'm wondering if I need to stop on my way home and get some additions to make sure it's totally done with yeast. I just assumed since it's been sitting for 10 months that they'd be good and sleepy, or gone.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #10310
gobigred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first post here on HomeBrewTalk. Just had some thoughts on this epic thread. When this thread started, I was 17 and a senior in high school. Since then I have taken up drinking, graduated from college, started working, started brewing, got married and I am finally about to bottle my first batch of Apfelwein. Cheers!

Quick Reply