The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #10291
LoneWolfPR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl700 View Post
So I my apfelwein turned 4 wks today and I just cannot wait any longer I have been staring at it for 28 days. I racked it into a glass Carboy ( it was in a plastic primary bucket) because i am using the slurry for skeeter pee that has been sitting for 48 hours. I was going to make my own starter or use a merlot slurry but apple sounded delish and i have tried pee with merlot which was fine but let's go with the new. Anyway I gave myself a glass of this apfelwein and I know it's early but I'm not really impressed :s everyone talks about how aging it really helps.. I hope so! Also are people degassing this stuff? It's got a carbonated feel which I read earlier in this thread somewhere was normal?
Remember, this recipe is supposed to be VERY dry, so take that into consideration. Also, the final product is supposed to be carbonated.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently
In Design: Saison de Erin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #10292
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since I didn't get an answer I'll re ask in case anyone knows. Because this is so high in alcohol, will I need to repitch yeast for bottle conditioning or will the Montrachet hold out better for this than regular brewers yeast?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #10293
smegger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfPR
Since I didn't get an answer I'll re ask in case anyone knows. Because this is so high in alcohol, will I need to repitch yeast for bottle conditioning or will the Montrachet hold out better for this than regular brewers yeast?
I haven't had any problems bottle carbonating it, even with that batch I made with significantly more sugar than instructed (not that I recommend that).
The only thing I've noticed is that it may take longer to carbonate as the alcohol level gets higher, but this shouldn't be a major issue since you'd probably be leaving it longer than that to age and allow the flavours to develop/settle.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #10294
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I will wait, but definitely had to have a taste. What is RDWHAHB?
Relax don't worry have a home brew

Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #10295
dmcl700
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear

Relax don't worry have a home brew
Ahahahaha! I love it !

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #10296
Sly22guy
Recipes 

I just bottled my applewein it bulk aged for 1.5 years. it tastes amazing. i did use regular sugar. I always let mine age for at least 6 months weather it be in a bottle or bulk. I've found that this stuff gets so much better with age, (just make sure u keep your airlock filled) is use vodka in mine. I always rack mine to a secondary after the initial ferment (as i only have two primaries). I've also read some comments regarding it tasting fizzy, that would be a because it has not been degassed. Always degas unless you are making a champagne.
Ed does not post on here as of late but if you send him a message he will almost always get back to you.

Thought for the Day: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #10297
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Isn't it supposed to taste fizzy? I thought this was supposed to be carbonated.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #10298
dmcl700
Recipes 

So the other day I was drinking merlot and racked my apfelwein using the slurry for skeeter pee. During this I "stole" a glass and was unimpressed. Today I came home from work and WANTED some so ( i know I shouldn't take from Carboy) i "stole" a glass. I liked it better and now I am having another one and liking it. I know I should (and will) wait for it to age. But I take back what I said the other day hehe... I likey. Can't wait to taste in a few months! I am going to start another batch cheers!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #10299
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
So the other day I was drinking merlot and racked my apfelwein using the slurry for skeeter pee. During this I "stole" a glass and was unimpressed. Today I came home from work and WANTED some so ( i know I shouldn't take from Carboy) i "stole" a glass. I liked it better and now I am having another one and liking it. I know I should (and will) wait for it to age. But I take back what I said the other day hehe... I likey. Can't wait to taste in a few months! I am going to start another batch cheers!!!!!
...glad you came around!

Just got home from work to find that SWMBO had opened and finished about 2/3 of the bottle of 50/50 cranapfelwine that I'd thrown in the fridge...haven't tasted yet, but I think the cranberry tannins/acids do it good...the dregs in her wineglass smelled much more of "wine" than the previous pure-apple apfelwines....will taste some after sleep....
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #10300
wuilliez
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I "brewed" this back in July, and I'm gonna be bottling next week. Should I throw in some new yeast at bottling time? I used the recommended Montrachet champagne yeast...

Quick Reply