Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #10281
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Gonna be bottling my Cran/Raspberry Apple that i made from someones previous post a few months ago, a bunch of brown sugar and honey..i want to say a cup of brown sugar and 3lbs of honey and champagne yeast...cant remember now lol..

Regardless, its ready to bottle where as my strict follow of the Apfelwein recipe i dont think is fermenting anymore 2 months later, but i still see bubbles along the rim of the carboy....the cran raspberry one has been still for weeks with no bubbles anywhere on the surface..and honestly it tastes pretty damn good...the apple flavor is definately there. Plan on carbing it and bottling it up and letting them sit until New Years or later...maybe crack one bottle a month open just to see how its going since ill end up with about 30 22oz bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #10282
sallykalou
Recipes 

After 7 days, my apfelwein is giving me a bubble every 8-10 seconds, being kept between 17-21c. Its starting to clear slightly too. Does this sounds about right?

I just checked the taste and it was pretty fizzy; is that normal?

Am I okay testing it, or is it too likely to cause contamination?

I'm using a brewing bucket so I have to take the lid off but I sterilize everything that goes in/near the ferment, I'm just concerned that by purely having the lid off for a minute that something nasty will get in and ruin it.

What SG should I be aiming for at the end, or should I just take it that it will most likely be ready to be bottled after 8 weeks?

Are there any other steps I should take when fermenting is finished, but before I bottle?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #10283
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So, If I want to bottle condition this do I need to add some yeast when I add the sugar since this will have such a high OG? I know with high OG beers it's usually a good idea. I didn't know if it was different with the wine yeast.

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently
In Design: Saison de Erin

Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #10284
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykalou View Post
After 7 days, my apfelwein is giving me a bubble every 8-10 seconds, being kept between 17-21c. Its starting to clear slightly too. Does this sounds about right?

I just checked the taste and it was pretty fizzy; is that normal?

Am I okay testing it, or is it too likely to cause contamination?

I'm using a brewing bucket so I have to take the lid off but I sterilize everything that goes in/near the ferment, I'm just concerned that by purely having the lid off for a minute that something nasty will get in and ruin it.

What SG should I be aiming for at the end, or should I just take it that it will most likely be ready to be bottled after 8 weeks?

Are there any other steps I should take when fermenting is finished, but before I bottle?
You're fine. As long as you are properly sanitizing everything there is very little risk of infection. And the fizziness is normal.

And anyway, worst case scenario, in six months you are selling artisinal cider vinegar at the farmer's market.

FG should be less than 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
If plastic is good enough for Ed Wort (Better Bottles), then it should be good for the rest of us. I have used glass carboys, better bottles, and a fermentation pail without any issues. Go forth and ferment.
From what my chemist friend tells me, the BetterBottles people are mistaken in their presumption that their product does not leech pthalates into fermenting liquids. He asserts that PET - even extra-virgin PET with no plasticizers added - is vulnerable to electrochemical attack from enzymes produced by yeast. And UV. It will, unavoidably, break down and leech pthalates.

The BetterBottles people are mistaken in their belief that it is plasticizers (high in pthalates) are the only source of pthalate contamination from PET containers. PET is made of pthalates, basically.

So, a food-grade PET fermenter will add a teeny, tiny, insignificant amount of pthalates that there is no reason to be even the tiniest bit concerned about. A couple PPB at the most.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #10285
joetownhound
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do Ed not post here any more? I started out reading the first of this thread (gotten to page 125) before I skipped to the end and now is reading backward. By the way great and entertaining read. He use to post all the time. I'm back almost 14 pages now and hasn't seen him post lately.
I'm on page 1006 now reading backward in this thread and is getting conflicting reports. My next question is how long is people letting this go in primary or are they racking to secondary and ageing past three weeks. I've seen a post on about 1007 where the poster let it age for a year and was wondering if that was in primary on the lees. TIA

Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #10286
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I go anywhere from 6 to 9 mo in primary and it usually still conditions when I lager it. after 2 mo in the keg its pretty much done changing (but it does still slightly get better). i have my 3rd batch on yeast for 2 months and a full cold keg of it that is now about 10 months old. the keg in primary will probably sit for another 8 mo unless I take my cold one to a party!

I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #10287
dmcl700
Recipes 

So I my apfelwein turned 4 wks today and I just cannot wait any longer I have been staring at it for 28 days. I racked it into a glass Carboy ( it was in a plastic primary bucket) because i am using the slurry for skeeter pee that has been sitting for 48 hours. I was going to make my own starter or use a merlot slurry but apple sounded delish and i have tried pee with merlot which was fine but let's go with the new. Anyway I gave myself a glass of this apfelwein and I know it's early but I'm not really impressed :s everyone talks about how aging it really helps.. I hope so! Also are people degassing this stuff? It's got a carbonated feel which I read earlier in this thread somewhere was normal?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #10288
dmcl700
Recipes 

Yeeash Just took another sip

Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #10289
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl700 View Post
Yeeash Just took another sip
When that fresh, the apple flavor is not there yet and the tartness is rather overwhelming (without much of any white wine tastes or smells yet, either). Add a little Sprite,7-Up, or Sierra Mist.

Or just FOLLOW THE ADVICE of 10,000+ posts and WAIT. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #10290
dmcl700
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood

When that fresh, the apple flavor is not there yet and the tartness is rather overwhelming (without much of any white wine tastes or smells yet, either). Add a little Sprite,7-Up, or Sierra Mist.

Or just FOLLOW THE ADVICE of 10,000+ posts and WAIT. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.
I will wait, but definitely had to have a taste. What is RDWHAHB?

Quick Reply