Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #10251
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you are going to bottle this still (i.e. uncarbonated in wine bottle w/ cork), make sure you degas it. I bottled one in a wine bottle with champagne cork and it kept blowing the cork. Didn't know about wine degassing at that point like I do now (you can search for it here).

Carboys are a little better than buckets because you can store the apfelwein for 8-12 weeks with no oxygen exposure. The fermentation will blow all the oxygen out, and as long as you do not open the airlock until bottling, no oxygen. Although I'm sure a bucket would work, if you are ever going to buy a carboy I would do it now.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale, 2H IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #10252
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

i have one batch fermenting now for about 6 months.. will be filling up my kegs with beer this weekend so it'll take another back burner for another month or so.. looking forward to tasting it when it has about 8 months on it when i finally have space to keg it

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #10253
drew1d
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got ripped on AppleWine saturday night. My wife said I was "chatty." (that can't be good)

5 gallons of Apple juice. (found some with now ascorbic acid or other Vitamin C)
3 lbs of brown sugar.

I used Premier Cuvee yeast.

I fermented it for about 4 weeks, then kegged it.

I moved, so I forgot about it for about 4 months. It was kept cold at one point, right before i moved. When I found it, I tried it just to see if I ruined it. It was the best batch yet. I like it so much better warm also.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10254
sallykalou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykalou View Post
Firstly, is the equipment listed all that I'd need, or are there some things that are assumed I'd already have?
Would I be able to brew in a 5gal bucket rather than a carboy?
Would having a second bucket/carboy be a big help?
When would I need to siphon it into a secondary bucket (would I need to do this at all?)
What bottles are best top bottle this in, uncarbonated after around 8 weeks?
What temp should I aim to keep it at?

Went today to a store, got a 5 gallon bucket, a bottling bucket, an airlock, a siphon, some sanitizer, some yeast (sn9, the man recommended me to use it), a thermometer and a hydrometer.
What sugar/litre should I be looking for?
Hopefully this will be all I'll need until I get to bottling!

Now fermenting, 23l of apple juice, the 5g of sn9 and 1kg of brown sugar. Planning to bottle at the start of November, hopefully I didn't mess up and managed to keep everything sanitary.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #10255
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What all varieties of apple juice has everyone had luck with so far? My first batch is 5 gallons of Treetop ($5 gallon walmart), and a 1/2 gallon of langers I used when adding more sugar (3cinnamon sticks, clove, montrachet 35 oz sugar).

I think Sams had 2 86 oz Motts for $5.36, was probably gonna go with this. I will probably skip on any generic brands unless people have decent luck with them.

What other ways have been used to add other flavors to this? Does anyone add fruit? How does other juice additives work?

I was thinking about adding cherry or cranberry to my next batch starting this week. I will search some, but was bringing up to the current pages.

Also, what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice in this recipe?

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #10256
dmcl700
Recipes 

I have a question- the recipe says it's ready in 4 wks buy everyone says it gets better with age. Is it better to just leave it in the Carboy or will it age well in bottles?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #10257
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl700 View Post
I have a question- the recipe says it's ready in 4 wks buy everyone says it gets better with age. Is it better to just leave it in the Carboy or will it age well in bottles?
Let it sit in the carboy until it at least clears. Better to wait 2-3 months and then bottle. You get a cleaner flavor and more apple character as it ages 6-12 months in the bottle. My batch got tasty around the 4 or 5 months in bottle.
Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale, 2H IPA

Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #10258
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
What all varieties of apple juice has everyone had luck with so far? My first batch is 5 gallons of Treetop ($5 gallon walmart), and a 1/2 gallon of langers I used when adding more sugar (3cinnamon sticks, clove, montrachet 35 oz sugar).

I think Sams had 2 86 oz Motts for $5.36, was probably gonna go with this. I will probably skip on any generic brands unless people have decent luck with them.

What other ways have been used to add other flavors to this? Does anyone add fruit? How does other juice additives work?

I was thinking about adding cherry or cranberry to my next batch starting this week. I will search some, but was bringing up to the current pages.

Also, what's the difference between apple cider and apple juice in this recipe?
They should all be similar, its just apple juice from concentrate unless your pressing it yourself or from an orchard. The ciders will just not clear when finished like the apple juice, but from what ive read not much else will be different.

I have a 5 gallon treetop(100% matching recipe) and another 5 gallon thats 3 gallons treetop and 2 gallons of Langers Cran/Raspberry juice with Champagne yeast and brown sugar/honey...someone posted the recipe a few months ago in this thread so figured i'd try it

Costco has killer deals on juice, you can get two 1 gallon jugs of Tree top for i think $7?

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #10259
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default 4lbs of sugar and it is dry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
Normal apfelwein is about 8%. Yours will be about 10%. Give it some extra time to age, but I doubt that it will be intolerable.
Ok, so I tasted my 4lbs of sugar apfelwein and it was dry with ec1118. Not sweet at all.

It certainly got me and the gf drunk as heck though but no hangover at all. I am going to make another batch with 6 or 8 pounds of sugar and see what happens. I want to push the ec1118 to it's 18abv limit. Starting gravity be damned. The experiment continues.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #10260
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes
Taste report on that 4 yr old keg please!! If you purged the O2 out in '08, I bet it will be out of this world fantastic. Makes me wish I had starting hiding away kegs of brew like a squirrel back when I started this hobby.

About to start my annual fall batch. This time I am adding 2 cans of frozen concentrate & 1 lb brown sugar to the 5 gallons of apple juice. Hopefully just a little extra apple flavor from the concentrate as it ages. Once its ready for bottling, I will likely carb with a can of frozen concentrate also.
It is truly fantastic. It's so smooth and not as bone dry as I'd remembered. It was gassed, but not carbed for those 4 years. It has been in a spare bedroom for nearly all of and into the attic for about 3 months because that spare room became another nursery.

Quick Reply