The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #10201
jagec
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16 View Post
I have a question about the carbonating process (Sorry if it's already been answered... I couldn't seem to find the info)

When you say you add the extra sugar before bottling, like you would when carbonating beer, how exactly does that work? Do you add the sugar directly to the primary fermenter, or do you add a bit into each bottle?

Also, with the amount of sugar in the recipe that you add for carbonation, is there any risk of the bottles exploding from the pressure?

Thanks! Can't wait to try this out next week!
If you're going to bottle and carb the entire batch, use a carbonation calculator to figure out how much sugar you'll need to reach your desired level of carbonation. After the apfelwein has COMPLETELY fermented (confirmed by subsequent hydrometer readings that don't change, and for apfelwein should be below 1.000), rack it into your bottling bucket, melt the sugar into a little water and stir it in completely, and bottle as usual.

If fermentation was complete and you only add the amount of sugar from the calculator, there is no risk of bottle explosion. If you are worried you can bottle into plastic soda bottles, which allows you to monitor carbonation by squeezing the sides and let out pressure if you get nervous.

If you are only bottling part of the batch, it's about 3/4 tsp of sugar per bottle. It still helps to pre-dissolve the sugar in water and add that to the bottle.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #10202
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
I ended up starting my first batch of apfelwein on Sunday. I ended up 7 ounces short on sugar at 25 ounces and also boiled 3 cinnamon sticks and a clove and added to primary.

Should I add the extra 7 ounces of sugar? I won't be able to hit the brew store until Saturday if so. How will 7 ounces of sugar short affect this? I'm assuming less alcohol content.

I didn't check my gravity either. Not terribly concerned at this point, but I am guessing I am a point or two below 1.066 to start.
I use table sugar. No ned for a trip to the brew store, dissolves just fine.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #10203
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The usual scenario with bottling 5 gallons (at least with beer) would be to boil 2 cups of water with 5 oz of corn sugar (dextrose or priming sugar) for 5 minutes, then add that to a bottling bucket and transfer the primary fermenter into the bottling bucket so that it mixes. Then bottle. If no bottling bucket, I would add it to the primary fermenter then stir and bottle.

Still wondering on my question of whether I should add the 7 ounces of corn sugar a week after fermentation starts. How it would be affected if I do or don't.

Had my window open for a while.

So just add 7 ounces of table sugar and all is good is what it sounds like.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #10204
KENZ
Recipes 

Default How to sweeten with concentrate

I know this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I have two kegs of apfelwein for a party I am having in two weeks. (also three kegs beer) I think the apfelwein would go over better with the masses if it were sweetened. I like the idea of using concentrate to get a little more apple flavor. 1) How much concentrate would I use for a 5 gal. batch? 2) Would I have to kill off the yeast? (been aging for 6 months).

Also has anyone tried cinnamon sticks? Is it too late in the game to add them to the keg and leave in?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #10205
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENZ
I know this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I have two kegs of apfelwein for a party I am having in two weeks. (also three kegs beer) I think the apfelwein would go over better with the masses if it were sweetened. I like the idea of using concentrate to get a little more apple flavor. 1) How much concentrate would I use for a 5 gal. batch? 2) Would I have to kill off the yeast? (been aging for 6 months).

Also has anyone tried cinnamon sticks? Is it too late in the game to add them to the keg and leave in?
Are the kegs cold? If so, the yeast activity would be somewhere between extremely slow and completely halted. I say add in the concentrate and leave them in the cooler. I don't know off hand how much. If you are handy in the math department you can figure it out. If I did my math correctly last time the concentrate I used was 1.144 SG. Figure out how many points of sugar you want to add back and go from there.

I would pass on the cinnamon sticks at this point. If its a failed experiment you have no Apfelwein for this party.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #10206
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Does apfelwein benefit from bottle conditioning? I bottled after six weeks in the primary and I wonder if it will improve in the bottles. I know next time to leave it in the primary for 3 to 6 months.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #10207
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Does apfelwein benefit from bottle conditioning? I bottled after six weeks in the primary and I wonder if it will improve in the bottles. I know next time to leave it in the primary for 3 to 6 months.
I believe anything will benefit from bottle conditioning. The difference is just that when bulk conditioning in the fermenter it will clean up a little faster because there is still more yeast there to clean up. I'm pretty sure that is what I have read from a few sources.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #10208
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dear Mr Edwort,
From all the husbands who have made this. Thank you. The effects on SWMBO is wonderful. She calls it lovey bird, my coworker calls it panty dropper. Either way. Thank you.

Inappropriate? Maybe, but you all know you were thinking it. I just said it.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #10209
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENZ View Post

I would leave it alone.

Use the apfelwein as a mixer. Cup o' apfelwein + a splash of sprite/7-up/ginger ale (for sweetness) + fruit puree/juice/extract (more sweetness and flavor) and you'll have a ~10% ABV cocktail the ladies will love. If anyone wants cinnamon, provide the sticks as a stirrer.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #10210
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My english cider yeast was too old and the starter didn't work. My buddy just harvested yeast from his belgian IPA, do you guys think that would work well? I've already made a batch with montrache, but looking for something a little different.

Quick Reply