Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #10191
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I doubt you really need nutrient or energizer. Four lbs is not that much. A lot of wine uses ten pounds pf sugar. 1118 will plow a deep forough. Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #10192
ianoconnor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Boom, just got my first batch going! So much great info in this thread. Thanks EdWort & everyone else for the input.

I had an extra 64oz apple juice so I made a 5.5 gallon batch, other than that, followed the recipe precisely.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #10193
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
I doubt you really need nutrient or energizer. Four lbs is not that much. A lot of wine uses ten pounds pf sugar. 1118 will plow a deep forough. Mike
This is what I was hoping. I am hoping that the 1118 will take care of the problem for me. If it tastes too alcoholic I will just cut it with apple juice. I will post taste results in mid October

Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #10194
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsmcghee View Post
This is what I was hoping. I am hoping that the 1118 will take care of the problem for me. If it tastes too alcoholic I will just cut it with apple juice. I will post taste results in mid October
Normal apfelwein is about 8%. Yours will be about 10%. Give it some extra time to age, but I doubt that it will be intolerable.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #10195
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I ended up starting my first batch of apfelwein on Sunday. I ended up 7 ounces short on sugar at 25 ounces and also boiled 3 cinnamon sticks and a clove and added to primary.

Should I add the extra 7 ounces of sugar? I won't be able to hit the brew store until Saturday if so. How will 7 ounces of sugar short affect this? I'm assuming less alcohol content.

I didn't check my gravity either. Not terribly concerned at this point, but I am guessing I am a point or two below 1.066 to start.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #10196
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Nice, I just got a very small batch going. I found a gallon of organic apple juice at the store in a glass bottle, so I bought it, poured a little out, poured in some sugar, and added some champagne yeast. She's bubbling away right now. I know I need to get more started now!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #10197
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Used a different champagne yeast this time almost had a blow off... I caught it in time and carefully removed some of it from the carboy to give a little more breathing room, and added new starsan to the airlock after cleaning it out. Did I make it too full? It was really close to as full as possible. Maybe I was pushing my luck, or maybe montrachet is just less bubbly. I have another very full carboy of juice and sugar just waiting for yeast, wonder what I should use.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #10198
NHowell16
Recipes 

Default Carbonating?

I have a question about the carbonating process (Sorry if it's already been answered... I couldn't seem to find the info)

When you say you add the extra sugar before bottling, like you would when carbonating beer, how exactly does that work? Do you add the sugar directly to the primary fermenter, or do you add a bit into each bottle?

Also, with the amount of sugar in the recipe that you add for carbonation, is there any risk of the bottles exploding from the pressure?

Thanks! Can't wait to try this out next week!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #10199
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I believe the extra sugar would go directly into the bottle. Bottle explosion is always a real risk in this case. If you add it to the primary ferementer most likely the yeasts will eat it unless you have so much sugar they die off from the alcohol level.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #10200
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16 View Post
I have a question about the carbonating process (Sorry if it's already been answered... I couldn't seem to find the info)

When you say you add the extra sugar before bottling, like you would when carbonating beer, how exactly does that work? Do you add the sugar directly to the primary fermenter, or do you add a bit into each bottle?

Also, with the amount of sugar in the recipe that you add for carbonation, is there any risk of the bottles exploding from the pressure?

Thanks! Can't wait to try this out next week!
Do you have a bottling bucket? Ideally you would transfer yoru wine to a bottling bucket. Then add dissolved sugar to the bottling bucket and stir well before bottling.

Quick Reply