The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #10181
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Short answer: YEP.

The same works for your yeast, the fewer there are, the more stressed they will be. The fewer nutrients and fermentables left, the more stressed they will be. Piss off your yeast and it'll start crapping things in your drink that you don't want there. ....And it's all captive in your fermentor.
There are some truths in what you're saying (stressed yeast make unpleasant flavor compounds, underpitching can stress yeast) but I think your answer to the question is incorrect. After two months of fermentation the remaining yeast activity is negligible. Fermentation is done, the gravity won't budge a single point lower regardless of how long you wait. There aren't enough yeast cells doing anything (producing alcohol, kicking out flavor compounds etc) to matter at this point. Ramp up the temperature if you need to, your fermentables will be just fine -- contrast this with ramping the temperature outside the yeast's recommended range during the first (say) week of fermentation when the bulk of the yeast is actively fermenting/producing flavor by-products when the cider/beer/wine could be ruined.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #10182
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
There are some truths in what you're saying (stressed yeast make unpleasant flavor compounds, underpitching can stress yeast) but I think your answer to the question is incorrect. After two months of fermentation the remaining yeast activity is negligible. Fermentation is done, the gravity won't budge a single point lower regardless of how long you wait. There aren't enough yeast cells doing anything (producing alcohol, kicking out flavor compounds etc) to matter at this point. Ramp up the temperature if you need to, your fermentables will be just fine -- contrast this with ramping the temperature outside the yeast's recommended range during the first (say) week of fermentation when the bulk of the yeast is actively fermenting/producing flavor by-products when the cider/beer/wine could be ruined.
You are absolutely correct. However, IMHO, apfelwine is such a lightly flavored product that subtleties that are normally hidden easily in beers, wines, even ciders can show themselves after extended aging. Personally, I'd be patient and wait it out - and probably pony up and buy a new carboy/bucket instead. Could be an interesting experiment, though....pull half out and age at 80, transfer the rest into something smaller and keep colder....compare results at 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc....
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #10183
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Short answer: YEP.

Analogy Answer: If a busful of kindergarteners stops at a McDonalds and everyone eats and then everyone except one kid uses the bathroom - if he craps his pants once back on the bus, will the stink change if the others kids are there or not? Sure, extra bodies MIGHT dilute the scent a little...more activity/movement will cause greater circulation, but the stink will still be the same captive stink.

The same works for your yeast, the fewer there are, the more stressed they will be. The fewer nutrients and fermentables left, the more stressed they will be. Piss off your yeast and it'll start crapping things in your drink that you don't want there. ....And it's all captive in your fermentor.
I don't want the yeast to do their duty in my carboy.

No way I can find a spot consistently in the 70's this time of year. Maybe in another 2 months though...Guess I will just have to put other brewing on hold until this one finishes. I wish I could do more than one batch at once but it takes up 1/2 my fermentation chamber as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I would not mind getting more carboys if that was the issue, but I can't just run out and buy more chest freezers with temp controllers....

Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #10184
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Usually use tree top, but which walmart juice would be better? No sugar added or regular? One has maltodextrin.

forumrunner_20120825_080549.jpg

forumrunner_20120825_080616.jpg

Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #10185
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Usually use tree top, but which walmart juice would be better? No sugar added or regular? One has maltodextrin.

Attachment 73092

Attachment 73093
I did a trial batch two years ago, a gallon using the Sam's Club juice (probably the same stuff as Wally World, just with a different label), and wasn't particularly impressed. Came across as a dry white wine with just the barest hint of an apple flavor.
Last December, however, I decided to give it a go with some apple cider instead of juice. The local orchard had their end-of-season blend of 13 apples in stock, and I went down and bargained them down from $7 / gal. to $5 if I bought 5 gallons. I had learned that the late season apples are the more tart varieties, and I thought this would be a good plan.
I followed the recipe way back in the OP (except for using cider instead of juice), threw all that stuff into a better bottle Dec. 3, racked in March, largely to incorporate some pectinase (pectic enzyme) to help clear it up, as it was pretty cloudy. Bottled in May, still took a while to clear. Now it's quite clear, dry but with an excellent apple taste. I don't necessarily prefer apfelwein to beer, but I'll probably make this again, just because it's so dirt simple & easy to do. I will also probably leave out the 2 lb dextrose. I'm the only one around here who will drink it, and I can't really do a whole 750ml bottle by myself....so making this into a regular 6% hard cider sounds about right.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #10186
AL73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi, question here
i made my first batch following the exact ingredients and the original process,it is now almost two months since i brew it and in the first 30 days it was just a dry white wine with just a hint of apple in the aftertaste, so im planning bottling in a few days with bottling condition, so
will improve the flavor in the bottle?

thanks!
Al

A la Salud!

Al Equihua

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #10187
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

About a week ago I made some Apfelwein with 4lbs of sugar instead of two. It was an accident. I am using EC1118 yeast. Can anyone tell me if the EC1118 can power through 4lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon carboy before reaching its alcohol tolerance or will I end up with super sugary, undrinkable stuff? I am hoping to taste this experiment around the first week of October.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #10188
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsmcghee View Post
About a week ago I made some Apfelwein with 4lbs of sugar instead of two. It was an accident. I am using EC1118 yeast. Can anyone tell me if the EC1118 can power through 4lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon carboy before reaching its alcohol tolerance or will I end up with super sugary, undrinkable stuff? I am hoping to taste this experiment around the first week of October.
I'm no expert but EC1118 has an alcohol tolerance of 18%.

My guess is that you'll have to leave it on the cake for a long, long time. And you might need to occasionally spike it with yeast energizer and yeast nutrient like the skeeterpee folks do.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #10189
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsmcghee View Post
It will turn out fine,may take a little extra time to mellow out but not much.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10190
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
I'm no expert but EC1118 has an alcohol tolerance of 18%.

My guess is that you'll have to leave it on the cake for a long, long time. And you might need to occasionally spike it with yeast energizer and yeast nutrient like the skeeterpee folks do.
Thanks. I will go out and buy nutrient and energizer. I haven't used those things before but I guess now is about time.

Quick Reply