New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #10131
kellzey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know the answer is here SOMEWHERE in this thread... but I don't have the patience to read through 10,000 replies. LOL

What is the recommended formula/ingredient for backsweetening? Small can of apple juice concentrate? Large can?

What do you add to the fermented apfelwein to prevent further fermentation after backsweetening? What quantity?

Thanks!

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #10132
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi View Post
Good thing I'm not using lalvin 1118 or I would have apple juice all over my closet. I actually had the carboy suck water from the fermentation lock so its even fuller now.

If I plan to carbonate, wine bottles and corks wouldn't be suitable would it?

i'm planning on going to the local pub and asking them for their beer bottles.
Never used 1118 in cider but i used it in my skeeterpee and it actually foams at the top. not quite krausen but almost. That one has about a gallon of headspace.

I may use 1118 in my next batch of apfelwein, which I'm considering because there seems to be a deal on kirkland brand apple juice. Maybe four gallons of apple and a few quarts of whatever looks good at the grocery store in my other 18L carboy.

And yet my first batch of apfelwein isn't ready for drinking yet.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #10133
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
I know the answer is here SOMEWHERE in this thread... but I don't have the patience to read through 10,000 replies. LOL

What is the recommended formula/ingredient for backsweetening? Small can of apple juice concentrate? Large can?

What do you add to the fermented apfelwein to prevent further fermentation after backsweetening? What quantity?

Thanks!
There's lots of different ways actually, which is why I get kind of confused trying to figure it out.

To backsweeten, you can use potassium sorbate and sulphite to stop fermentation and then add sugar/concentrate. Or you can add non fermentable sugars like splenda.

cold crashing is another way, keeping it in the fridge so that it's too cold for fermentation to start. Or you can pasteurize it.

Here's the thread on pasteurization:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #10134
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
Never used 1118 in cider but i used it in my skeeterpee and it actually foams at the top. not quite krausen but almost. That one has about a gallon of headspace.

I may use 1118 in my next batch of apfelwein, which I'm considering because there seems to be a deal on kirkland brand apple juice. Maybe four gallons of apple and a few quarts of whatever looks good at the grocery store in my other 18L carboy.

And yet my first batch of apfelwein isn't ready for drinking yet.
Well I made Joe's quick grape mead with 1118 with only a few inches of headspace and yeah there's no krausen but the foaming was so intense that it went up into the lock and spilled out of the carboy.

I just started brewing this july and i haven't really tasted anything I've made yet but I'm really excited about apfelwein. I hope it lives up to its hype.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #10135
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bottled mine today, there was about 30 oz before I ran out of bottles. Threw it in a Nalgine and into the freezer. Good god, I need to make another batch NOW.

Primary: Hoppy Red | Kegs: Belgian Saison, Milk Stout, Abe's Winter Bier, Not Imperial Simcoe IPA, Saison | Bottled: Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace clone, Red Ale, Black IPA, Apfelwein, Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #10136
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzey View Post

Thanks!
You don't need to read through all 10,000 replies (you could use the search functions!)....someone asks this again about every 3 days or so....if you read 4 or 5 pages of posts, you'll probably see the question (and answers) more than once.
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #10137
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I bottled all of mine on 8/9 and since then, I consumed 2 bottles of it already. The first wasn't that great, it was room temp, and one night I just couldn't wait longer to try it.

However, the second bottle, amazing!!! It was chilled for 2-3 days in the fridge, and even though it was dry, being chilled, it was soooo smooth! It was the perfect compliment after mowing the grass in the sun! This is definately going to be available every day.

Oh, and official, EdWort, you MF'er (J/K) !!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #10138
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643
Well, I bottled all of mine on 8/9 and since then, I consumed 2 bottles of it already. The first wasn't that great, it was room temp, and one night I just couldn't wait longer to try it.

However, the second bottle, amazing!!! It was chilled for 2-3 days in the fridge, and even though it was dry, being chilled, it was soooo smooth! It was the perfect compliment after mowing the grass in the sun! This is definately going to be available every day.

Oh, and official, EdWort, you MF'er (J/K) !!!!
Was it carbed up already?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #10139
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
Was it carbed up already?
I didn't carb it. I kept it still and dry. Ended up chilling another bottle for this weekend for more people to try! I'm gonna run out before my next batch is ready. Being the first one I made, I didn't take notice to the "start another batch in 2 weeks"... I should've done that.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #10140
scutiger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Man I can't wait to get into my first batch of this stuff. I made it back at the end of May and I bottled it a couple weeks ago so I've been letting it carb up. I think I'm gonna throw one in the fridge when I get off work tonight, should have thought to do it this morning though.

Quick Reply