The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #10121
MirImage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have made this 3 times and each time hasn't shown more then a tiny layer if bubbles even when the airlock is going crazy. You are probably fine.

Fermenting: malbec, Chocolate Raspberry Porter
Bottled: Ridgeback Red, Apfelwein, Blackberry Wheat
Kegged: Millennium Falcon IPA, Blackberry Wheat, Black Crack Imperial Stout
Coming: kiwi/prickle pear mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #10122
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I just mixed up my first batch. I used a glass carboy. Do I need to cover it to keep the light out? It's going to be hard to wait for this to be ready to drink. Thanks for the recipe Ed!

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #10123
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytoptim View Post
So I just mixed up my first batch. I used a glass carboy. Do I need to cover it to keep the light out? It's going to be hard to wait for this to be ready to drink. Thanks for the recipe Ed!
Yeah I was wondering this as well. Also, what is optimal temp? I googled montrachet yeast and a website said 60-80ish, but just trying to confirm. I will be keeping mine in room temp (roughly 77 Fahrenheit)

Also, how long does it take for fermentation to start? It's been 2 hours and not much activity going on. I'm afraid of such a huge batch getting stuck.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #10124
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi View Post
Originally Posted by rockytoptim

Yeah I was wondering this as well. Also, what is optimal temp? I googled montrachet yeast and a website said 60-80ish, but just trying to confirm. I will be keeping mine in room temp (roughly 77 Fahrenheit)

Also, how long does it take for fermentation to start? It's been 2 hours and not much activity going on. I'm afraid of such a huge batch getting stuck.
Yeast generally prefers darkness - just toss an old towel around it...it'll help keep a constant temp anyway.

Optimum temps are defined by your yeast choice. Obviously, consider the range stated on the package. The higher end will give you faster fermentation, more yeast-derived aromas and flavors, while the lower end will take longer, but give you a cleaner-tasting result. Most people just go with the room temp of an interior closet or basement, yeah, you guessed it, somewhere between 60 and 80. Below 55 or 60, your yeast may work extremely slowly or stop altogether (leaving you with undrinkably sweet syrup), much above 80 and you'll be getting more harsh results and rocket fuel to drink.

How long fermentation takes to start depends on your sanitation, health of your yeast, amount of yeast/size of your starter, liquid temp, ambient room temp, potential of thermal or sugar-shock to the yeast being added, air pressure within the fermentation vessel, etc. In other words, you haven't supplied nearly enough information for us to diagnose your fermentation start. That said, you're worrying after 2 hours? First, you may see NOTHING when fermentation starts...watching airlocks, looking for bubbles or sediment, etc. are all famously poor indicators. The only way to be sure is to take gravity readings with a hydrometer or spectrometer regularly and see that it is dropping. If you are a really paranoid type, I highly suggest buying a spare hydrometer, sanitizing it well, and simply leaving it in your carboy - you can see at a glance what it going on. Then simply RDWHAHB!!!
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #10125
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Yeast generally prefers darkness - just toss an old towel around it...it'll help keep a constant temp anyway.

Optimum temps are defined by your yeast choice. Obviously, consider the range stated on the package. The higher end will give you faster fermentation, more yeast-derived aromas and flavors, while the lower end will take longer, but give you a cleaner-tasting result. Most people just go with the room temp of an interior closet or basement, yeah, you guessed it, somewhere between 60 and 80. Below 55 or 60, your yeast may work extremely slowly or stop altogether (leaving you with undrinkably sweet syrup), much above 80 and you'll be getting more harsh results and rocket fuel to drink.

How long fermentation takes to start depends on your sanitation, health of your yeast, amount of yeast/size of your starter, liquid temp, ambient room temp, potential of thermal or sugar-shock to the yeast being added, air pressure within the fermentation vessel, etc. In other words, you haven't supplied nearly enough information for us to diagnose your fermentation start. That said, you're worrying after 2 hours? First, you may see NOTHING when fermentation starts...watching airlocks, looking for bubbles or sediment, etc. are all famously poor indicators. The only way to be sure is to take gravity readings with a hydrometer or spectrometer regularly and see that it is dropping. If you are a really paranoid type, I highly suggest buying a spare hydrometer, sanitizing it well, and simply leaving it in your carboy - you can see at a glance what it going on. Then simply RDWHAHB!!!
Hey that hydrometer in the carboy idea sounds neat. Might have to try that.

I wasn't really thinking of carbing this, but I just saw this thread and holy crap when he pours the cider into a glass the cider fizzing looks like diamonds.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #10126
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks DarkBrood for the reply. I wrapped a blanket around it.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

DarkBrood Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #10127
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi View Post
I just made a batch of this. I had a few ounces of apple juice left over when I thought that I shouldn't fill up the carboy anymore. So I heated it up and used it to rehydrate the yeast, poured all of it in and the carboy is now filled up to 2-3 inches from the top of the neck. hopefully it isn't too much, but good thing is i used all of the juice.
You should be fine, i fill mine pretty high, this produces no real krausen like beer. This yeast just has little CO2 bubbles that pile up near the top in a ring.
Give it 24 hours, it will go trust me. In a carboy you will see big waves of co2 flowing up the neck area of your Carboy soon enough.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #10128
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
You should be fine, i fill mine pretty high, this produces no real krausen like beer. This yeast just has little CO2 bubbles that pile up near the top in a ring.
Give it 24 hours, it will go trust me. In a carboy you will see big waves of co2 flowing up the neck area of your Carboy soon enough.
Well, premier cuvee produced one little eruption of krausen in my apfelwein. Day 2 of fermentation i had to swap out the airlock for one that wasn't full of yeast. I filled my 18L carboy pretty close to the bottom of the neck.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #10129
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi
I just made a batch of this. I had a few ounces of apple juice left over when I thought that I shouldn't fill up the carboy anymore. So I heated it up and used it to rehydrate the yeast, poured all of it in and the carboy is now filled up to 2-3 inches from the top of the neck. hopefully it isn't too much, but good thing is i used all of the juice.
Yeah, you are fine filling it pretty high. Check this out.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #10130
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Good thing I'm not using lalvin 1118 or I would have apple juice all over my closet. I actually had the carboy suck water from the fermentation lock so its even fuller now.

If I plan to carbonate, wine bottles and corks wouldn't be suitable would it?

i'm planning on going to the local pub and asking them for their beer bottles.

Quick Reply