Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10101
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox

Don't you need a separate fridge?
Yeah, but one of the tall dorm fridges will fit at least one keg. You have room for that?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #10102
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat
Wonder what a touch of oak would do to this?
I've been wondering the same. I have around a quarter gallon that has been frozen up to around 16%. I'm tempted to throw some oak on it.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #10103
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

Yeah, but one of the tall dorm fridges will fit at least one keg. You have room for that?
No room for a fridge.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #10104
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643 View Post
OK, so I started a batch a while ago, left it for a month, then accidentally added another pound of sugar to it (yes, accidental). Left that to ferment in the original month long primary for another month, then racked to secondary. It's been there for about 3-4 weeks and is now finally really clear. There is not much trub in the bottom of the secondary, but there is some. Am I ok to bottle this in wine bottles thinking all of the yeast are left behind by now? I imagine siphoning from the secondary to bottling bucket would leave all the yeast on the bottom of the secondary?

Or will there be enough yeast in suspension to cause me issues with wine bottles? I have no plans for carbing and am keeping it dry with no backsweetning.
I made two batches on 6/21 and 6/22 using the original recipe with D47 yeast. I did not rack to a secondary at all. I bottled Sunday and Monday. Both batches cleared and D47 floculated nicely. Siphoning will help clear out more yeast. I don't see any issues bottling now. Even if you did have some yeast in suspension, it would drop during bottle storage.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #10105
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
OK, so I started a batch a while ago, left it for a month, then accidentally added another pound of sugar to it (yes, accidental). Left that to ferment in the original month long primary for another month, then racked to secondary. It's been there for about 3-4 weeks and is now finally really clear. There is not much trub in the bottom of the secondary, but there is some. Am I ok to bottle this in wine bottles thinking all of the yeast are left behind by now? I imagine siphoning from the secondary to bottling bucket would leave all the yeast on the bottom of the secondary?

Or will there be enough yeast in suspension to cause me issues with wine bottles? I have no plans for carbing and am keeping it dry with no backsweetning.
Yes you are ok to bottle in wine bottles if it is finished, but how do you accidentally add a pound of sugar after it is done fermenting?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #10106
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Yes you are ok to bottle in wine bottles if it is finished, but how do you accidentally add a pound of sugar after it is done fermenting?
err, swmbo, enough said???

I had a pound measured out for a smaller batch for her since I was gonna rack to my bottling bocket and bottle, then clean/sanitize primary and make hers. I was 4-tasking it (not a good idea) making lunch, 2 small batches and gonna bottle. Had swmbo helping me and mistook add the sugar to this new batch to add the sugar to the batch I just popped the lid/airlock off. Oh well, higher abv here I come

Old 08-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #10107
opus345

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
err, swmbo, enough said???

I had a pound measured out for a smaller batch for her since I was gonna rack to my bottling bocket and bottle, then clean/sanitize primary and make hers. I was 4-tasking it (not a good idea) making lunch, 2 small batches and gonna bottle. Had swmbo helping me and mistook add the sugar to this new batch to add the sugar to the batch I just popped the lid/airlock off. Oh well, higher abv here I come
Of course....I understand the strategy.....blame her because she would never, ever read the post and be able to provide an accurate account of what really happened....no, no, don't need to provide any additional explanation....I've done it myself.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #10108
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:

Amount of trub/lees and amount of yeast in suspension are both secondary to the amount of digestible sugars remaining. The only way to be confident that bottling is safe is to take gravity readings with a hydrometer or refractometer and make sure that the gravity is no longer changing. That will ensure that either your sugars are all fermented or your yeast has pooped out - either way, your fermentation is done. Yeast in suspension can either be active or dormant/dead - some siply don't flocculate as much as others.
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #10109
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
Thanks I got two pounds brown sugar and a heaped cup of plain cane sugar going now in a five gallon run. Hope this works out okay.

I wonder about blueberry pancake syrup. Mike
Like anything else, check for preservatives first. Next, verify that it's a genuine blueberry syrup and not blueberry-flavored corn syrup. It may take some digging and a phone call or two to determine what is actually in the bottle and how it would alter fermentations...

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #10110
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
Wonder what a touch of oak would do to this?
After 10+ batches with various juice/concentrate mixes and a couple with cinnamon-clove-etc. spices, I've been considering oaking. From what I can tell, the primary contribution would be in the tannins - from either oaks or from direct-add tannins - would be to help fill out the wine with a richer background fullness....would likely alter the flavor profile more towards a cider taste and away from a white-wine taste...

Quick Reply