Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #10051
DarkBrood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricvelvet View Post
I have had a gallon batch fermenting for 5 weeks now. I'm going to give it a week or two more before bottling. But is it more preferable to use a normal sealed bottle like the juice bottle the apple juice came in, or to cork and bottle it in glass?

I think I would like it to be slightly carbonated if which bottle I choose affects that.
In general, if you are bottling "still" (i.e. uncarbonated), standard wine bottles and corks are just fine. Whether carbonated or not, the plastic PET bottles the juice (or soda) came in will work for short-term storage (and from the posts, most people have difficulty sitting on this stuff long enough to let it age once bottled), but will eventually allow some pas-through of CO2 out and O2 in, an activity that is encouraged by handling of the flexible-walled bottles (just squeeze something soft and tell me it doesn't put excess pressure on other parts too!). However, if you go much beyond 1-2 volumes of CO2 pressure, you'll want to skip both plastic bottles and corked bottles and use beer bottles with crown caps. I know, they don't have the same presentation effect, but beer bottles can handle a lot more pressure than wine bottles can (champagne bottles go even higher...they're like beer bottles on steroids). If you are unsure at all about how much pressure your beverage will develop, it is always better to err on the side of caution and possibly use unneccessary bottles than have bottle-bombs to deal with...
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #10052
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I just kegged a 3 gallon batch that had been aging for 12 months. The smell was awesome, this will be the oldest batch of Apfelwein I've gotten to try and I'm looking forward to seeing what all the "aging" recommendations bring to the table.

On a side note, after letting this sit for a year I'm a little bit bummed out because I know it's not going to last long in the keg, all that time and in a week or two it will be devoured.

Debatebly I'm thinking about grabbing 4 Better Bottles and getting 20 gallons going in the near future so this time next year (hot as hell middle of summer) we'll have around 5 cases worth to last..

Either or, cheers Edwort on a fantastic recipe. This stuff always hits the spot, it's also turned 2 other people I know on to brewing.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #10053
exhumedatbirth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just cracked the keg of my last four gallon batch, three gallons of apple juice, one gallon of cherry juice, three pounds of honey, and two pounds of brown sugar...aged about 6-7 months...just delighful....

Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #10054
s0nguy
Recipes 

Default 6lb sugar?

we made a batch around January and it was great... but we found thta we would add a little sweetner when we drank it. so, this time we added 6lb of dextrose to the carboy... any ideas how it might come out?

we were told that we would need to stop fermentation if we didnt want the yeast to convert all of the sugar.. so I bought some stuff to do that.

your thoughts?

thanks in advance
s0nguy

Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #10055
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy
we made a batch around January and it was great... but we found thta we would add a little sweetner when we drank it. so, this time we added 6lb of dextrose to the carboy... any ideas how it might come out?

we were told that we would need to stop fermentation if we didnt want the yeast to convert all of the sugar.. so I bought some stuff to do that.

your thoughts?

thanks in advance
s0nguy
You're going to have to constantly measure your specific gravity during fermentation to determine when to stop it. The easiest way would be to have done the recipe like normal and added some unfermentable sugar like lactose to back sweeten it.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #10056
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

brewing an english old ale tomorrow

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #10057
xMalachi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 53

For those of you modifying the recipe, what have you found comes out the best? I'm about to start fermenting a second batch in my other 5G better bottle but I'd like to do some sort of variation. I have seen everything from brown sugar to cinnamon to cherry juice. Do any of you have a batch that you've completed that was a modified recipe? If so, how did it turn out and what were the quantities of the items you used? Thanks in advance!

Primary#1: Empty
Primary#2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Primary#3: Empty
Primary#4: Empty
Bottled: Lady Liberty's American Pale Ale, Honey Weizen, Pumpkin Ale, Zombie Dust Clone

Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #10058
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just finished mixing her up! Can't wait!

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #10059
exhumedatbirth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMalachi
For those of you modifying the recipe, what have you found comes out the best? I'm about to start fermenting a second batch in my other 5G better bottle but I'd like to do some sort of variation. I have seen everything from brown sugar to cinnamon to cherry juice. Do any of you have a batch that you've completed that was a modified recipe? If so, how did it turn out and what were the quantities of the items you used? Thanks in advance!
See my recipe a few posts above...three gallons of apple juice one gallon cherry juice three pounds of local honey and one pound of dark brown sugar..some wine yeast..fermented for two..maybe three months..then chilled in the keg for another couple months...one glass is just not enough..more than two and you'll curse Edwort the next morning for posting this thread..

Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #10060
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

After seeing this thread come up on the New Posts page pretty much every day I decided it must be good so I'll give it a shot. Just started my first batch ..... and when I bought the yeast & sugar I made sure to get get enough for 2 batches so I could follow Ed's advice and start another one in a couple of weeks. I'll just go ahead and thank you now Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND START ANOTHER BATCH 2 WEEKS AFTER YOU START THIS ONE.
YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!

Quick Reply