Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Making Wine with MR. BEER Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
amoceri7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making Wine with MR. BEER Kit

Hello, have recently started my third home brew of beer though my Mr. Beer kit and was wondering the possibility of brewing wine using the same process as mr beer states. It has a custom airlock lid they say took a while for them to fashion and master. It replaces the typical airlock idea and they recommend not altering it. I guess would only work the same way as a normal airlock. PLEASE HELP!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Well, I've never tried it, but it might work just fine. For the first time, maybe try 2 gallons of apfelwein and see how it works. That should be pretty "fail safe". I know when I make fruit wines, it probably wouldn't work in Mr. Beer. I usually do primary fermentation for 5 days, then rack it to the secondary. Fruit wines make alot of lees (sediment and chunks that lay on the bottom) and that would probably clog up your spigot, and it would be hard to leave the lees behind.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
amoceri7
Recipes 

Hello, I have began my cyser mead process (not so wine) and it is approximately 1.5 gallons cider, .25 gallons peach juice and all my my spices thrown in. i have added a red star champagne packet for 2 gal and have just one question. the recipe calls for 2 weeks primary and 3 to 6 months secondary. in the secondary process when it is re racked, do i filter the yeast out or let it continue in the secondary?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rack it at the end of the 2 week period. This means siphon off the liquid, leave the nasty crap on the bottom. Try not to splash too much if you can help it.
Leave it alone for 4 months or whatever, then do it again. Depending on how much lees are formed, I would rack whenever they look to be getting too thick ( It's a gut feeling and no measurement to be maid)
As for filtering, See Racking. NO you Don't filter...EVER. You do a good job racking, and filtering will not be necessary.

Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
amoceri7
Recipes 

thank you so much!

Quick Reply