Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Wine Making Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/)
-   -   Making mash/spirits with mr. beer keg? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/making-mash-spirits-mr-beer-keg-57356/)

lovebeer 03-02-2008 11:21 PM

Making mash/spirits with mr. beer keg?
 
I don't see any forums for making spirits, so I am not sure if I'm in the right place. I normally make beer, but lately i wanted to try to make spirits. For those of you who don't know mash is like a pre-cursor to spirits. You ferment it in a still then distill it, to make the ABV higher. But i'm not looking to distill, just ferment. The process is pretty simple. you warm up water, add a lot of sugar and turbo yeast and wait till fermentation is complete. is anyone familiar with this process? if so, what kind of sugar is best for fermentation? sucrose, glucose, dextrose? like i said, i don't have a still and i don't want to distill it, so will my mr. beer keg work for this?

BigKahuna 03-03-2008 12:40 AM

And Moderaor lock this thread in:
...........3
..............2
.................1
************************************************** *********

Beerrific 03-03-2008 12:43 AM

Doing what you are describing will probably produce something that will not be very tasty to drink without distilling. And since this is a forum dedicated to brewing something that is end point drinkable, I would say to try to check this out: http://homedistiller.org/

Yooper 03-03-2008 12:46 AM

You can certainly use your Mr. Beer keg in any manner you see fit. I think that you would make a vile tasting hooch but why not experiment and find out?

I make quality wines so I'm afraid I can't help you with any specifics. You may want to try google.

lovebeer 03-03-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerrific
Doing what you are describing will probably produce something that will not be very tasty to drink without distilling. And since this is a forum dedicated to brewing something that is end point drinkable, I would say to try to check this out: http://homedistiller.org/

I already make delicious beer so I'm not too concerned with making something that tastes good. I'm just looking to make something that will get me really pissed.

YBM, so you don't see any reason why making mash or wine in a mr. beer keg wouldn't work?

Brewsmith 03-03-2008 04:33 AM

Like she said, it will work to ferment in. You just might not like the results.

Kai 03-03-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebeer
I already make delicious beer so I'm not too concerned with making something that tastes good. I'm just looking to make something that will get me really pissed.

YBM, so you don't see any reason why making mash or wine in a mr. beer keg wouldn't work?

How about making something in your Mr. Beer keg that is cheap, delicious, and will get you pissed?

Lovebeer, I present to you:
Apfelwein!

lovebeer 03-03-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai
How about making something in your Mr. Beer keg that is cheap, delicious, and will get you pissed?

Lovebeer, I present to you:
Apfelwein!

that recipe looks good, i'll prbly make that the next time around, but the turbo yeast that makes the mash im talking about yields 20% abv. this is an example of what i'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/A-package-of-liquor-quick-Super-Yeast-X-Press-turbo-20_W0QQitemZ330215823313QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38172QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the only problem is it requires 16 pounds of sugar. I can't tell if this liquor quick yeast is liquid or dry yeast, but more importantly can I use part of this package and save the rest for the next batch? my mr. beer keg only holds 2.5 gallons and this makes 6.5 gallons.

Also, do i need carboy for bottling? Or can i use plastic PET soda bottles? thats what i normally use for bottling beer. i also have a bunch of old wine bottles i could use and create airlocks for them. Would both work?

BigKahuna 03-04-2008 03:43 AM

Really now. If you want information on getting drunked up on nasty, go to http://homedistiller.org/ Plan to spend a week or better reading all about making sugar washes, grain mashing, and things of that nature. You will be my 14 year old hero if you can manage to drink ANY of this crap without distilling it.
The UJSM looks like a good recipe from the site...But Really, You are going to go to jail if you try it. And if you ever get any of this crap built, you will have a very hard time convincing anyone that you intend to drink it.

lovebeer 03-04-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKahuna
Really now. If you want information on getting drunked up on nasty, go to http://homedistiller.org/ Plan to spend a week or better reading all about making sugar washes, grain mashing, and things of that nature. You will be my 14 year old hero if you can manage to drink ANY of this crap without distilling it.
The UJSM looks like a good recipe from the site...But Really, You are going to go to jail if you try it. And if you ever get any of this crap built, you will have a very hard time convincing anyone that you intend to drink it.

14 year old hero? wtf is that supposed to mean? are you implying i am 14?

And i don't see why it should taste so bad. Have you ever tried it? No. Distilling really just removes water. Carbon filters are what clean it of cogoners and other crap. And i don't really care if it tastes like ****. Distillers cost lots of money


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.