Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Making home wine is dangerous...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Tonypr24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Making home wine is dangerous...

I am new to brewing at home...I went out and spent 300 dollars on all of my equipment to make wine at home. I was so exited about my new hobby that I could not wait to make my first batch. I got my first red wine fermenting right now but the more I read on the internet about home making wine the more I hear people saying how dangerous it is...they all talk about a bad wine that could kill you if you drink it. Now I am no so exited about my new passion, I am so paranoid about it. Is it true that a bad wine could get you really sick? How do I know if I have a contaminated wine? HELP!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4468 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I think a bad wine that could kill you if you drank it is something like grappa that the old timers used to make. Winemaking is no more dangerous than cooking. Maybe less dangerous, since you're not heating anything that hot!

There is nothing in wine that will harm you- it might not always taste great if you don't sanitize your equipment properly, but it would not make you sick and definitely wouldn't kill you!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's not dangerous. Relax, don't worry, and have a home wine.

I was a little nervous taking the first sip of my homemade wine too. You'll get over it.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I've never heard of anyone becoming ill from homemade wine, aside from suffering from hangovers from drinking too much. I have, however, heard of a lot of people who have suffered injuries from the glass carboys. Between breaks that result in severe cuts and back strains from lifting them, carboys can present some real dagers. That, to me, is the biggest danger of this hobby. No need to manufacture imagined poisonings.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Tonypr24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys...How do i know if I have a bad batch?...is it bad taste?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, you'll generally notice an off taste.

That being said, if you follow basic sanitation and the isntructions in your kit, it's pretty hard to make a bad batch of wine. Easier to make a bad batch of beer, as the lower alcohol content makes sanitation even more important. but with the higher alcohol content in wine, it's a lot more forgiving. Quit worrying, and let us know in 2 months when you open first bottle how you like it. Or even in one month when you do the botlting and are "forced" to sample bit left over after bottling. Did that with a cabernet-shiraz I was bottling earlier this week. Couple glasses left after my 30 bottles.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Tonypr24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great....will do. Thanks guys

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Hey Tony - even if it is a bad batch and tastes funny, I doubt it'll make you sick. Really - although it may have happened once or twice, I doubt it's even a hundredth the problem that food poisoning in the home presents from tainted food, unclean utensils or food prep surfaces. I've honestly never known anyone, even the most rank amatuer, to get sick from their wine.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
pulpfiction32
Recipes 

I think the only thing dangerous about home brewing is drinking mass

quantities of your final product

Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
KENfromMI
Recipes 

I disagree wine making or well drinking is very dangerous. 4 weeks ago I just got done doing the snow, my boots were still wet and as I rushed downstairs to grab a bottle of my homemade Cabernet to sneak a few glasses before bed, I slipped, broke 3 ribs, hurt my back, ended up in the E.R. and have been on light duty at work for 4 weeks and two more to go. All that and I still have 36 more gallons to drink LOL , Tony dont worry, It's great for you, I like to refer to it as heart medicine, Ken

Quick Reply