The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Make wine in bucket without glass carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Zurd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Make wine in bucket without glass carboy?

Hi, been doing wine for a few years now, never had problem, but now my glass carboy that I use for secondary fermentation starts to have little crack in it and I find them extremely difficult to clean. Anyone makes wine in only buckets?

I don't bulk age my wine, I let it ferment for only 28 days before bottling in glass bottle, so I don't think it will have time to oxydate in the bucket since there's a lot of headspace, or will it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I make blueberry wine and do it all in plastic buckets for primary and in plastic carboys for secondary. My wine takes 4 months before I bottle it and it turns out excellent.

When the wine is fermenting, no O2 can penetrate as CO2 is being outgassed, and it would take a while for gasses to mix IMO.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

If you are only keeping it in there for a month, you should definitely be fine. Better Bottles are also great alternatives to glass carboys, try doing a search on the forum.

Also, if you have not gotten rid of that cracked carboy, please do so immediately. Those things have racked up more than their fair share of ER visits, and I have heard stories of "spontaneous carboy explosions".

Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
outdoorsmadness
Recipes 

i use the 3 gallon and 5 gallon plastic car boys from walmart there only 7 dollars apeice

Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Used buckets several times w/ no ill effects. I had a peach in a bucket for 6 months and it's the best wine I've ever made.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I use plastic buckets for everything except small batches of mead.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply