Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Lychee Wine? Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Mrinny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Check out my post : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/lychee-wine-more-366505/#post4572662

Tried it and it tastes great!

The mead sounds like a good idea. Will try it soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinny
Check out my post : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/lychee-wine-more-366505/#post4572662

Tried it and it tastes great!

The mead sounds like a good idea. Will try it soon.
Thanks, Mrinny! Sounds good! I am thinking I will try brew it sometime soon!

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Mrinny
Recipes 

Just one thing with lychee juice... often when you buy em off the shelf in supermarkets, the flavor is pumped up with too much essence. That makes the wine taste like sugar alcohol with essence.

So try and get your hands on something with no added flavors.

Good Luck! Keep me posted on how it turns out.

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Mrinny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever View Post
Thanks, Mrinny! Sounds good! I am thinking I will try brew it sometime soon!
Just one thing with Lychee Juice, if you buy it off the supermarket shelf... some of them taste like sugar water with way too much lychee essence... it says 100% natural ... with added flavors .

So make sure you get something that is worth brewing or you get alcoholic essences. The natural fruits on the other hand are very very mild in flavor. The mead sounds like an encouraging option though.

Keep me posted on how it turns out.

Cheers!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinny

Just one thing with Lychee Juice, if you buy it off the supermarket shelf... some of them taste like sugar water with way too much lychee essence... it says 100% natural ... with added flavors .

So make sure you get something that is worth brewing or you get alcoholic essences. The natural fruits on the other hand are very very mild in flavor. The mead sounds like an encouraging option though.

Keep me posted on how it turns out.

Cheers!
Yeah, I was actually thinking of buying a bunch of fresh lychees and pressing them in a fruit press or something. I am fortunate enough to have a very nice asian supermarket near my house that sells fresh lychee fruits (they aren't the easiest thing to find here in the US). But the lychee juice would be an easy alternative.

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Accompanied hubby on the weekly grocery excursion. He likes to leave me home because I tend to deviate from the list. Case in point...new on WalMart shelf since last Sunday, Roland brand Whole Lychees in Heavy Syrup, 20oz, ingredients: lychees, water, sugar, citric acid, contains 57 grams sugar per can. They were $2.48/can so I bought four, which gives me five pounds, and 228 grams of sugar total. May sneak back and buy a few more, but I only want to make a gallon batch. Do you think I can do it with what I have, or how many more should I go get? Should I supplement by adding 1-2 cans 100% WWGJ per gallon for some sugar and body? Do plan on stopping by ValuMarket and grabbing a few lychee drinks for topping up. Any assistance appreciated.

Also discovered these frozen yogurt shops that are popping up tend to carry lychee fruit...so I am stopping by the Green Apple shop down the road and asking about their lychee (and any other interesting stuff). Bet they will want a lien on my home! So that may be a source for those who cannot find these, assuming you have a fro yo store.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply